Author Topic: No Icons  (Read 564 times)

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
No Icons
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
Wouldnt the easiest thing right off the start in an HA arena setting be, No Icons till D2 or 200yrds, or even D1.5 150yrds.

Would be a hell of a thing diving in on a con (not knowing what country) 500kias finger tight on trigger just to find out he is one of your own AFK for a coffee  

This would be the easiest setup for HT to implement. And any learning curve is accross the board. We all would have to retain ourselves till the last minute.

This would be acceptable till an onther way of dealing with Icons is found.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
No Icons
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2000, 05:33:00 PM »
You can tell what a con is at 500 yards, dont be silly. From my experience in gliders I'd say you could ID a con positively at about 1 mile (approx 1500 yards) Again,this is gonna vary between  Granted, ID at 8000 yards is probably optimistic.

as to no range icons, well, thats nice if we have depth perception, but we wont. Like HT said, ranging was done using ring sights so i guess if they made those standard in AH it would be ok.

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
No Icons
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2000, 06:11:00 PM »
   Hitech would it be an idea to experiment with new arena setting for a day or too every so often. Where people could see what it would be like with no icons or short icons or no plane type indicated etc. (or any innovative icon setup)
    I say this as people in general are idiots who wouldn't know whats best for them if hit them round the face with a stale haddock (this is why celine dion can sell a large amount of records)and perhaps if people tried something they shouted they wanted/ didn't want may decide they don't want it/ want it after all.

If people found one set up particularly good you could configure the arena to that on 2 days in a week. This way you can satisfy more people and not lose revenue as you don't lose revenue through people not flying because they don't like settings.

Sorrow[S=A]

No Icons
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
I think you will find that HT setup the 8 person free server instead of an HA. I mean, really it's better to KNOW there are just 8 of you out there, flying the historical plane than running all over a full sized arena looking for a possible fight with no icons on.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
No Icons
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2000, 06:19:00 PM »
I remember playing Aces Over Europe. Still remember how tough it was to say who is that, enemy of friendly, and how much it spoiled the game.

Keep the icon system pls., it is fine.

Fariz
XII Legion

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
No Icons
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by hitech:

Eleminating icon's would imply that you have to spend much more of your time looking around. This give you much less time for chatting on line, and hence removes some of the community aspects of the online world.

HiTech

Is there someone else other than "ME" that spends evening in the tower looking at the Chat bar ???  

Saw

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
No Icons
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by Apache:

BTW Saw, by team mates, I assume you mean JG2? If you meant country, I am one of your team mates.

Hehehe, CC that Apache, I meant would the Knight realy apreciate me shooting some of us down then saying on the text buffer "Ooooops, I though you were red, sorry   "

PS : & Just imagine how much I would be pi$$ed off if Killshooter 'd be on ! LOL !

Saw

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-27-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
No Icons
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
HT,

Thanks for replying.

If we would just set up a ringed gun sight to estimate ranges, an experianced pilot would be able to estimate the range on a rear shot very acuratly. And hence the long range shooting would still be there.

I think that even with a graduated site (ie marks for wing span at differant ranges) at long ranges these would only be a 64th or 32nd of and inch wide. The ability to use them for long range would be to inaccurate (ie the differance between 700 and 450yds)

I agree that there is somethings that the 2d monitor can't provide that our Mk-1 Mod 0 eyball could in real life.  However I think that with such accurate range information that "overall" we gain an advantage over real life in most cases.

Try fighting someone without range info, it really suprising.  "Am I gaining?"  When coming around in a turn fight "Am I gaining the angles or is he?"  These questions are too easily answered with the accurate range info we have (all sims have) Give fighting without the range info a try, it's a hoot.  It really adds a whole new aspect to the game

Sharky

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
No Icons
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2000, 10:13:00 PM »
Back in my early training in WB's--My trainer would put us up (2 on 2, 3 on 3) with no icons. They were his idea of SA drills   THEY WORKED! Pucker factor was very high. Once you latched on it wasnt that difficult to close and score. But dont lose sight    He may end up on your 6 very quickly.

BTW--Sorrow. I dont think the H2H comes anywhere near a "Historical Arena". I wont speak for HT but certainly he didnt intend H2H to be an answer to a HA. But a wonderful feature H2H is! Personally I woulod love to see a Historical Arena. Theres something about facing off against another 109 when Im flying a 109

[This message has been edited by -ammo- (edited 04-27-2000).]
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
No Icons
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2000, 12:48:00 AM »
Back in the FA2 advanced room we used to mutually agree to turn off tags.  However, we were fighting in country sets with 109s and 190s vs. Spits and Hurcs or 51s and 38s vs. Yaks and LA5s.  It was great and it took some time to get used to being able to judge range by relative size.  The big whole in the whole scheme ofcourse was that somebody could be flying with tags and you wouldn't know it.  This needless to say caused a bit of tension on more than one occassion when somebody would accuse another of not being honorable.  I've only toyed with the idea in here because the 3 country scenario doesn't lend itself to it.  Maybe those who want to try an inconless environment can do it in H2H with just a two country plane set.
Beeg

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
No Icons
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2000, 06:47:00 AM »
I cant wait for the icon system WB 3.0 will have, they have said that their system will be much better then the current system used by the current online sims (roumours say no icons at all).

I gotta give the Ien team credit for atleast trying to solve the icon issue...

Regards.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
No Icons
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2000, 07:31:00 AM »
Hblair has it right. Its been my contention that one of the major reasons a Historical Arena is not as populated as a Main Arena is the pricing scheme. With AH as a flat rate game, I believe that a Historical Arena would be extremely popular.

Face it, fighting late war planes (same planes like P51 vs P51) against each other at 20,000 feet will get boring after awhile. Historical plane matchups would be much more interesting IMO.

Unfortunately, I can't prove it until one of the companies tries a flat rate Historical Plane Set Arena. Right now its looking like WW2online will be exactly that but only time will tell.

Ram1

[This message has been edited by Ram1 (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
No Icons
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2000, 07:56:00 AM »
Ram1,

I've seen you post but never in the arena.  Do you fly AH?  If so lets get together.

------------------
Playboy Leader
307th FS/31st FG
You can run but ya just die tired

eskimo

No Icons
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
Think about the new guys.  They are probably having a hard enough time already.  We don't need to confuse them even more.  If anything, this sim needs aspects that will make it a little easier for newbies, without taking away the increadible existing realism.  We want our cannon fodder to stay around for more than their free two weeks.

eskimo

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
No Icons
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
Thats true eskimo...

But ask yourself this, how many of the veterans will leave once there are an sim wich proves to be an greater challenge than AH?

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac