Author Topic: Dignity thread (way off topic)  (Read 548 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Dignity thread (way off topic)
« on: April 27, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
This is as off topic as a post can get but what the h*ll.    

My grandmother, 91 years of age, lies in a bed at my moms right now with 1 kidney at about 10%, hasn't eaten for several days. Mom checked her out of the hospital (with the doctors blessing)last weekend when grandma refused dialysis. Grandma said she didn't want to be hooked up to a machine. She says she "wants to go home to see Tom and JoAnne." Tom was my grandfather who died 5 years ago of old age, they were married about 70 years. Joanne was grandma's daughter who died as a little girl over a half century ago.

When I go by mom's to see grandma on my way home from work every day, I step up to the bed, get close to her and ask, "How ya doin grandma?" Her eyes open for a second, she says "Oh, I'm fine how are you sweetheart?". Typical of her. In my whole life I can't recall her ever having to scold me or my two brothers. We had so much respect for her that all she had to do was ask us to do something, and it was done. Didn't want to dissapoint her.

Funny thing is, she's already planned out her funeral and the whole nine yards. She is completely aware she may be gone in a matter of days. Yet she is at complete peace with herself and the whole situation.

The hospice nurse said her blood pressure dropped today and would be surprised if she lasted the weekend.    

This isn't meant as a "boohoo tearjerker" thread or nothing like that, I am just completely amazed at the courage she has, thats all.

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 04-27-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
God's peace be on both of you and your entire family.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2000, 06:08:00 PM »
Hblair, I know how you must be feeling.

My dear gandma, Lula Beckwith, passed away on April 7th, 2000.  She follows her husband of 57 years, Leo Beckwith, Who died May 17th, 1995.

She died peacefully at home in the company of her loving family who was simply proud that she and Leo made our lives so much more worth living.

Sorry, I know this is off topic and I mean no disrespect to hblair and his situation, but the pain of loss is still fresh in my heart.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 04-27-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2000, 06:12:00 PM »
Hblair

your Grandmas' courage is found in "Jeremiah 29:11-13"..The Bible of course , that is if your interested

Cyas Up!

Rude Out!

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2000, 06:19:00 PM »
hblair....

I never read you message as a "boohoo tearjerker" statement, but rather a deep expression and desire to share your pain with us, but also share the tremendous pride in your grandmother you obviously possess.  Indeed she is a rare breed of person, with a courage and dignity not often found today.

There's an old warrior's expression going back to the days of the Spartans, plagiarized by some unmentionable movie writers and their characters, that says "Today is a good day to die".  It means that one has achieved everything they wished for in life and lived it to the fullest, therefore there is no reason not to move on and face whatever is to come with great conviction and a belief that it's simply the beginning of a new journey.  I often say, I always like to fight an enemy on "My Time, My Terms, My Ground".  She is treating her inevitable death as an enemy, but winning a victory of sorts in deciding the time, terms and ground with which she'll engage it.  Many people don't often have that opportunity.  It sounds to me like she's a true warrior who has put all of the right things in order and is now ready.  I salute her for her class and courage, but also salute you for sharing your personal expressions with this extended family that we sometimes create in these virtual on-line communities of the Internet.

My family's thoughts will be with you........

Badger

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 04-27-2000).]

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2000, 06:21:00 PM »
hblair,

I know exactly how you feel bro.  I lost my grandmother Feb 5th.  She had scerosis of the liver     Unfortunately her last couple of weeks were pretty bad.  But I did drive to New Orleans the last day she was coherent, 3 days before she passed away, and the next morning she remembered me being there.  

She too took care of everything before she died, years before actualy.  It made it SOOO much easier on my family, and let us get our greaving over with quicker I think.  It still sucked though  

My heart goes out to you and your family.

oodee

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2000, 06:31:00 PM »
I was deeply moved by your post.  I never new my Grandparents, and lost my father when I was 18. I understand that kind of loss.

Your wonderful Grandmother who has been a blessing to you and your family is passing with such dignity because she knows where she is going.

Jesus Christ, yesterday, today and forever.

You and your family will be in my prayers as so many of my squad members have been during times of pain and trial.

------------------------
daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2000, 06:33:00 PM »
My thoughts are with you as well hblair.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2000, 06:34:00 PM »
Never read your post as that "tearjerker thing" you said, My granma left us about a year ago & still aranged to send me my favourite sweets one wek she passed away  

I fully understand how proud you can be of such a person, we share the same pride...even if they are not the same grandmothers  

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2000, 06:42:00 PM »
Courage and pride must run in your family hblair.  Took a lot of guts to share something that personal with everyone.

And it is obvious you are very proud.

My hats off to you and your family.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2000, 06:45:00 PM »
 A very brave, confident and caring woman Hblair! I guess some folks know when it's time and are ready. I hope when my time is near I can muster a fraction of that kind of dignity.

She's a special person. Hope you've told her  

-Westy

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2000, 06:53:00 PM »
Hblair,

I have no doubt that your grandmother will indeed see "Tom & JoAnne" soon. Sounds like she lived a long full life, and she's ready to move on. I am sure you will miss her, understandably so. Here's hopeing her passing is a peacefull one.

JENG

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2000, 07:09:00 PM »
Badger said it well... she had a full life and gave alot... today is a good day to die... the pain goes to the relatives... I feel your sorrow hblair... and wish you well

My thought are with you.

BEE

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2000, 08:22:00 PM »
For i know the thoughts that i think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and i will hearken unto you.
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

[This message has been edited by Robert (edited 04-27-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2000, 12:33:00 AM »
  Class never grows old.