Author Topic: air show smoke  (Read 111 times)

Offline sutpid

• Copper Member
air show smoke
« on: August 23, 2002, 02:03:14 PM »
thsi smoke fades away too fast i was jsut playing Fs 2000 and i noticed the smoke on there stays i nthe air for a little while how bout smoke like that.

Offline Awulf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.imagisite.com/mdiplo
air show smoke
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 02:07:26 PM »
I haven't tried using Air Show Smoke yet though it may be interesting to toy with :)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
air show smoke
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 02:11:14 PM »
It would look prettier, sure.  I suspect that HTC chose the default smoke duration that they did for the following reasons:

1. It was long enough to see, but not so long that it will cause an undue FPS drop on slower machines.
and
2. They did not have the time to add a UI to change the smoke length (or decided there were more important things).  

When writing stuff like this, there are time costs that are not always evident.  For instance, they would need to add a UI to change the setting.  Then they'd need to persist the setting by storing it in a reg key or settings file and knowing to query for it whenever smoke was turned on.  Then they'd need to figure out if it was a value that should affect the length of smoke on other peoples FE (for instance, in head to head mode, should you be able to see the length of smoke your friend has set?)  If so, they would need to alter the datagram structure for the net code to include that variable.  Finally, they would need to test all of this.

Sometimes, a hard coded value is just the answer, especially when there are higher priority fix areas.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
air show smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 02:36:08 PM »
Oh man think of all that smoke in a furball if it stayed on the screen 20 secs longer.. I wouldn't mind but Im sure everyone on thier moms HP machine would having a cow.

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
air show smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 03:05:41 PM »
YA I WANT TO SKY WRITE !!!!!!!!!!

Nothing cooler than skywriting! i mean pissing your name in the snow is fum and all but i want to SKYWRITE!

lol

box:p
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
air show smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 03:12:41 PM »
yeah, we could all write "BIG FURBALL THIS WAY!" in the sky.....