Author Topic: If you haven'yt seen "We were Soldiers"  (Read 1058 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
If you haven'yt seen "We were Soldiers"
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2002, 10:08:50 AM »
just watched it last night..  thot it was pretty good.  Some things in it... some elements... that hadn't been tried very often before that worked very well in this movie...  

gibson never fired a .45 even once in the movie.   He shot a man with his M16 who was charging him.   His sargent used a .45 1911 and the slide worked very realistically.

sure.. it was kinda hokey but... it was our first big engagement and it was in 1965.... 1965 was pretty hokey... it was the fifties after all.   "easyrider" didn't even come out till '68-69..  

If you haven't seen it then you probly should rent it..  It is a pretty good movie to watch.   Tried to watch the "lord of the rings" crap afterward and fell assleep.   Kept praying it would end but couldn't see how... Found out... it didn't.
lazs

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2002, 11:14:55 AM »
The first 40 minutes is crap,but the battles are great!I like how it showed both sides of the conflict.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2002, 01:21:47 PM »
I liked the part where Burt Lancaster rolled in the surf with that blond babe :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2002, 01:43:14 PM »
Read the book, it's much better.  It tells the true story of the battle without made-up things that never happened, and without omitting uncomfortable events like the ambush at LZ Albany.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2002, 01:48:10 PM »
I am going to buy the book:)

The movie was good IMO. the point being driven home, the unselfish sacrifice the soldier (and his family) makes.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2002, 01:50:53 PM »
Originally posted by SC-Sp00k
--snip--Melanie Gibson makes a poor American. --snip--

Even though he was born here?

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2002, 02:02:45 PM »
. the point being driven home, the unselfish sacrifice the soldier (and his family) makes.

Starring a guy, whos father moved his family to Aus. specifically to keep his sons out of Vietnam. :rolleyes:

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2002, 03:25:59 PM »
Originally posted by easymo
. the point being driven home, the unselfish sacrifice the soldier (and his family) makes.

Starring a guy, whos father moved his family to Aus. specifically to keep his sons out of Vietnam. :rolleyes:

sorry, wasnt thinking about any of that while I was watching the movie:) Maybe this one isnt for you easymo.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2002, 03:58:52 PM »

Mel's mother was australian, and australian national servicemen went to Vietnam anyhow, so I don't see how coming here could have made any difference.

On topic...I thought the film and book was ok.  Prefered SPR, or BHD.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2002, 04:30:15 PM »
Ya got me.  I am just repeating what Mel said on Charlie Rose. Charlie ask him about his Vietnam vet roles;The leathel weapon movies, etc.  Mel looked  embarrassed and said what I posted above.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2002, 04:47:02 PM »
Ya got me.  I am just repeating what Mel said on Charlie Rose. Charlie ask him about his Vietnam vet roles;The leathel weapon movies, etc.  Mel looked  embarrassed and said what I posted above.

Ya, but what the hell does Mel Gibson know about Mel Gibson?

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2002, 04:55:50 PM »
Good point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mel Gibson Dispels Vietnam Rumor

Mel Gibson is trying to dispel a rumor he started about himself.

When he was about 25 he says he blurted out in an interview that his father moved the whole family to Australia so that his sons wouldn't be drafted into the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, it stuck and he has been trying to clear it up ever since.

The truth of the matter is that his father had been injured at work and they had family in Australia.

"Even if you moved to Australia you could still be drafted," Gibson said. Fortunately, Vietnam finished by the time he was 16.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rose interview was just a year or two ago.  Pick out which ever lie you like best, and go with it.

Offline Braz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2002, 05:45:10 PM »
I respect your opinions but,

Imo, the movie was flat emotionally and the book was jingoistic to the max. Moore and Galloway are honoring each other, or the realitives of one of his men is honoring them on almost every page. So much posturing deflates the message; our men were sent into a bad situation by clueless brass, but sheer bravery allowed them to survive being overrun. I understand their desire to tell this tale, but think a good editor would have helped.

Ask yourself this. Have the big scenes in that movie been done before, in a more artistic way? Movies are moving pics afterall. Take the scene in the dark where our guys hear something and fire a flare to find the enemy yards away. Fun, but remember the same scene in Platoon? We wake up and stare at the misty forest. After a while, a tree moves and becomes a VC creeping up. Which scene has more impact? Suspense? Keeper images?

I honor these men for their sacrifice. But Mel's on my toejam list atm. He keeps trotting out sentimental overkill. I'd like to see 'em do an Altman style film, where he was part of an ensemble cast and had someone who could say no. :cool:

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2002, 06:43:24 PM »
Starring a guy, whos father moved his family to Aus. specifically to keep his sons out of Vietnam

Easymo, if you look into the background of every actor you'll be disapointed.

Kirk Douglass had to rescue his long haired son Michael from a hippy commune in 1970..

Robert DeNero leans politically to the left. His wife is black.

James Gabrifinni doesn't really act like Tony Soprano.

Martin Sheen who did a great job as Gen Robert E Lee leans waaay over to the left.

These folks are paid to play other people. We watch movies because it puts us in a place we could never live in real life.

Some of the best war movies are directed by war vets Battleground, The Story of GI Joe...Platoon. They add strong character development, tragedy, fear, and some light humor. Some of the humor is so subtle only a fellow veteran would understand it. There needs to be a love interest.  If not a direct love interest maybe something like a letter from a sweetheart anything to pull the viewer back home. It’s to add contrast between the horror being depicted and what’s sane and normal. Mail call is always a centerpiece for real life and in the movies.. You know somebody’s going to get a dear John letter and that will effect them and the team later when there’s a task at hand. Another guy gets a tape of his baby son saying his first words. Only problem is he doesn’t have a tape recorder.

You being a Viet Nam Vet, I’m curious how you would direct a VN movie. Would it be pro war?... Bunch of Gung Ho guys waving that flag charging up the hill nobody complains.. A little odd.. nobody complains in the army? Or would there be a slightly anti war bent.. You want to show how diddlying insane war is in the first place? Try and remind the powers that be to not start these things.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2002, 06:50:35 PM »
"His wife is black. "

And just what does that have to do with anything?

Daff