Author Topic: A new twist to Major Scenarios to consider?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
A new twist to Major Scenarios to consider?
« on: August 24, 2002, 08:12:03 PM »
Current  major scenarios run just like TODs.  1 life per frame.  What if we did a major scenario, with 1 life per event?

Example, General Scenario XXX

400 people register, only 250 actives. As is the case right now.

So, then the 150 left are split into reserves.  Side CO's have authority to put reserves where they are needed, during event.

The way it would work  :

Pilot Death = Out of event.
Successful Bail, Ditch = end of frame, but can still fly next.
Captured Bail, Ditch = You are out of event, UNLESS the side CO's
                  work a trade.*

So in Frame 1, say a squad flew at full strength, and had 5 pilots die or get captured.  The CO elected not to get the captured pilots back, so Frame 2, could then pull 5 reserves out to fill the squadron.   Then Frame 2, the squad gets jumped, and all but 2 die.  If the Side CO has already used up his allotted reserves, then that squad will have to fly understrength for the rest of the event.  In the end, some events could turn into a war of attrition.

*Now here is how captures could be dealt with.  Side CO's, or designated representatives, could get together and barter to get their pilots back at the end of each frame.

IE, Axis pilots Wilbuz, Glassess, Hblair and a few others are captuered.  Allied pilots Hooligan, Drex, and a few others are captured.  Allies decide to trade Hblair to get Drex back, and Wilbuz to get Hooligan back.  Axis want Glassess back, but Allied side doesn't need to trade for anyone comparable with Glassess skill level, and so either decides to keep him as captured for later deals, or Allies trade him for more than 1 pilot of slightly lesser skill.  Either way, Allies get the best of trading for pilots on that round.

For the capturing system to work well though, etiquette would have to ban chute shooting during major events.  If a person was shot in their chute and had film they could then email the film to a CM for review.  The CM could then convict the shooter of War Crimes, and ban them for the event.

Just a thought, and one drawback is that you would not be able to allow walkons in a major scenario.  Only registered pilots would be able to fly because of numbers control.  Would be interesting to try I think though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 08:33:15 PM by Kronos »

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2002, 08:24:14 PM »
very cool idea I think..
especially given the stories of pilots getting shot down multiple times in the same day...

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2002, 08:32:53 PM »
The main problem is though, by Frame 2, its almost assured both teams are out of pilots :)

In any sim, the mentality of a 'pilot' is COMPLETELY different than the real thing, due to not being there. We don't actually die when we 'die.' We can try and simulate all we want, but everyone knows when you die, you can just go to the MA and furball some more.

The 'One life per event' rule would no doubt change the general mentality of some pilots, but not the masses that would be needed to make it a popular option.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 08:43:15 PM »
Originally posted by Aub
The 'One life per event' rule would no doubt change the general mentality of some pilots, but not the masses that would be needed to make it a popular option.

Don't the masses that wouldn't like the one-life thing already ignore the special events?

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 09:06:03 PM »
I think that you over estimate the number of casualtiesv (by casualties I mean deaths) in a Frame Aub.  For instance, lets take BOB so far.

I don't think that many allies killed many LW'ers.  However, because the LW attacks were over Allied soil, any who bailed most likely were captured.  On the other hand, prolly quite a few allies went down to enemy guns.  (this is not an official account of BOB)  But because they were on friendly soil, most prolly Bailed Successfully.  Therefore, in the end, using the above rules, LW would probably hurt more out of these frames than Allied players.  BOB would favor allies, but later scenarios in the war would start to favor Axis pilots.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 09:08:56 PM by Kronos »

Offline Willi Winzig

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 09:02:45 AM »
You want to play monopoly, Kronos?  :D

Nice theory, but I don't think COs would appreciate to have to deal out the POW & war criminal question after end of frame. They are busy enough with AAR etc.
But more important: this didn't happen in RL. Exception may be some strange encounters during rescue operations.

Yet I think simulation of attrition is a good thought. I remember an AW scenario (Neman I think) where each squad after end of frame was refilled with a maximum of 50% of planes available at start of frame. If a squad had 8 planes at start of frame and lost 6 planes during frame it would be refilled with 4 planes (50% of 8) and thus having 6 planes (80%) at start of next frame. If they loose now 1 more plane they have still 5 intact and 3 (50% of 6) as refill for a total of 8 planes (100%) for the next frame
 I don't think that any squad started a frame with less than 100%. You had to suffer really hard losses to feel attrition but the threat of attrition made all fly really carefully.

wnz
:)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 09:13:10 AM by Willi Winzig »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2002, 05:37:49 PM »
Somebody free me!

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2002, 07:12:13 PM »
that would just skew the sides to one side.

you are assuming that each side upped with it full compliment and each had reserves.

The axis in this event had whole flights not show. only 4 had their full compliment.

Most 109 flights had 5 to 6 folks out of 8. some had only 3 pilots.

We had walkons assigned but they were assigned to ju88s. Of which 1 had its full compliment of pilots.

We had no reserves at all where as the raf were 5 deep on 6 man flights.

I am not complaining this just how its been for the axis in ah scenarios. The axis always has open slots.

We still killed way more then we lost but the raf would of had an endless turn around.

Damage bail reup. The axis had no replacements. Damaged over nme territory or death meant the same thing. We had no reserves. the raf all were shot down over their territory. You would see guys with minor damage bail and then reup. Even if some were killed out right you had plenty of replacements.

There would have been no need to trade captured for captured. The allied co would be stupid to do this since the axis would run out of pilots quicker.

too many assumptions in your suggestion. in reality its quite different. The allies in this event following your suggestion would end up with a huge advantage that they did not have historically.

Sounds like an idea for the eastern front though:)

Offline agosling

• Zinc Member
Ego problems
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2002, 01:52:40 PM »
I'm not sure my fragile ego could handle the bartering process:

Allies: We want Kronos back

Axis: OK, but you have to take SnoGoose, too.

Allies: Never mind, we have reserves.

:)