Author Topic: ANy success boming above 14k  (Read 256 times)

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
ANy success boming above 14k
« on: August 26, 2002, 02:41:39 PM »
I want to HEAR ..only threads about boming above 14k..

What were you trying to hit?

WHat boms were u usen??

What alt were u 14k+?

What direction u bomed??

And ..Did u hit??  and What accuarcy?

Love BiGB
xpxoxo

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 03:01:36 PM »
I can hit a target about once in 10 trips from above 25 k. I consider if I hit the airbase and runways I did okay on the drop. How to setup the bombsight at night. Should be able to dial in the speed instead of using the joystick to do the
calculation.

DarkHawk    :D
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 03:22:29 PM »
I come close, but wind drift gets me.  Havent figured out how to compensate for wind yet  :(

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 03:28:56 PM »
I can hit pretty consistently above 14,000'; generally, if I'm flying a B-25 or smaller, I'll stay under the wind layer, and if I'm in a B-17 or lanc, I'll take it up to 20k-25k before I drop.

I come close, but wind drift gets me. Havent figured out how to compensate for wind yet

Take a look at this thread for a posting explaining how to figure for wind drift.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2002, 10:57:14 PM by Shiva »

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 03:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
I come close, but wind drift gets me.  Havent figured out how to compensate for wind yet  :(

Get a wizwheel.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2002, 11:01:06 PM »
Get a wizwheel.

With the two tables in the posting I reference in my previous post, you can get a close enough approximation of the solution that you don't have to shell out and buy an E-6B,  Thrawn.

Offline Manxer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.4wing.obviousonline.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 10:57:19 AM »
Originally posted by Shiva
I can hit pretty consistently above 14,000'; generally, if I'm flying a B-25 or smaller

We have B-25's????

I use Boston formations at about 20k, and can hit pretty much what I'm aiming for 2 of every 3 sorties. The ones I miss, I can usually account for with too much speed variance caused by trying to maneuver while in the bomb site.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 11:36:36 AM »
I don't have any problems with the bombsight and my squad usually fly at around 20k if not slightly more (around 23k in our Lancs and around 25k in a B17) Get a group together and 'drop on lead' method works well.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 11:45:28 PM »
Wind drift---it affects the plane heap more than bombs---if ya zoom way in with crosshairs ya can actually see the plane (always a 17 in my case) drifting at odd angle---wind of late is ALWAYS due east, 30 knots above 14k..i always bomb E-W...then effect is negligable (of course i still miss, but not because im tryin last minute course adjustment)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
So still no good hi alt boming
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 12:51:12 PM »
Well i could care less about Plane drift..and e6-b's...

My question is about BOM drift over 14k....not plane drift

EAST west...

North South...

So it still suks bad to bom from higher then 13k......

BiGB

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 01:51:16 PM »
I have found that when you are above the wind layer, make sure when you calibrate that you keep the crosshairs on the same spot BOTH horizontally and vertically.  Do not let the spot drift to the left or right of the crosshairs.  If you do this right, the bombsight will take into account bomb drift due to wind.

Doing this (and calibrating for at least 10 seconds) I usually bomb sucessfully from 20K.

HT said in the QA forum:
"The actual bombsight calibration does take wind into account."

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2002, 02:23:20 PM »
wow..mickey...

I dont think it works very wel from abovve 14k..but i have only droped a few times form that hieght....

Thanks for input...

Lord Knows a Lancaster under 25k is ded meat..loloo

BiGB

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2002, 06:49:50 PM »
That my point BG...there is drift og mebbe 1/4 of a large field at 25k...the REAL problem is the damn plane getting pushed sideways whilst ya on autopilot thinkin ya goin straight
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
ahhhh
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2002, 07:31:17 PM »
ahhh bj229.......

But does the plane drift matter when u are still centering ur cross hairs on Hangars abou to drop..???

Im saying ..do you guys still try to put cross hairs directly on trget when u clik the boms away???

Or do you try to compensate for wind drift by aiming left or right of target....I guess you would only do this boming from North South..since wind goes east -west

BiGB
xoxoxo

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2002, 12:09:34 AM »
[/quote]That my point BG...there is drift og mebbe 1/4 of a large field at 25k...the REAL problem is the damn plane getting pushed sideways whilst ya on autopilot thinkin ya goin straight[/quote]

bj229r, you continue to be clueless. Yes, in a crosswind, your ground track and the course your plane's compass indicates are going to be different. What you can't seem to understand is that what you do is to turn your plane into the wind so that part of your plane's velocity cancels the crosswind out. So if you're at 20,000 feet making 220 TAS, and your target is due south of you, you fly an indicated course of 188°; with the crosswind, your ground track is on a heading of 180°, straight for your target.

But does the plane drift matter when u are still centering ur cross hairs on Hangars abou to drop..???

Yes and no, BGB. If you have an unadjusted crosswind, you'll see a sideways drift of your spot point while you're calibrating, and you have to halt the sideways drift as well as the fore-and-aft motion of the crosshairs while you calibrate.

[/quote]Im saying ..do you guys still try to put cross hairs directly on trget when u clik the boms away??? [/quote]

When you calibrate your bombsight, HiTech has set it up so that an accurate calibration automatically sets both the trail and drift correctly.

So, in answer to your question, yes; if you've calibrated your sight accurately, the bomb drift is accounted for, so where the crosshairs sit is where the bomb pattern will center.