Author Topic: Panzer damage model  (Read 128 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Panzer damage model
« on: August 27, 2002, 04:16:35 PM »
I don't know a lot about tanks.  It seems likely to me that a m16 type vehicle (4 50s) could disable the engine or pintle gun of a panzer.  Maybe, it could even damage the hull gun.

But wouldn't it be impossible for machine gun/cannon fire (from any airplane or ground vehicle) to damage the main gun of a panzer?

As I admitted at the start, I don't know ... it just seems very unlikely to me.

And yet we continue to have have Panzers killed (dead/gone) by m16s, m3s and stafing fighters.  Seems strange.

Please clue me in and tell me I'm wrong. :)

curly

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 07:53:25 PM »
....From a 22yr retired Army Armor guy.....

It seems likely to me that a m16 type vehicle (4 50s) could disable the engine or pintle gun of a panzer. Maybe, it could even damage the hull gun.

Odds are no... not if the target is a mid to late war battle tank. At best your can stop the tank by shooting up the roadwheels and the track. Maybe if you can get to the rear of the tank at short range 100m or less you can disable the engine.

.50 cal/Lt. cannon are hell on troops, jeeps, scout cars, planes and lt. tanks. But trying to fight a tank with .50 cal MGs is like taking a knife to a gun fight. Not a great idea.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 10:22:46 PM »
I believe what HT and Pyro have repeatedly said was the damage model was subjective but that the ballistic computations were not.

Just to clarify, of course.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 01:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I believe what HT and Pyro have repeatedly said was the damage model was subjective but that the ballistic computations were not.

Just to clarify, of course.

Well, perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems like a really bad idea for m3s/m16s/stafing airplanes to be able to kill panzers or damage the main gun.  

I have no grief with m3s/m16s/strafing airplanes being able to damage the engine and pintle gun, but damage the tube?  That's pretty wild. :)

curly

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 01:30:33 AM »
Whats so unbelivable about a .50 putting a hole in a big pipe?

Unfortunatly, it's not the big pipe that gets damaged most of the time.  The top armor on the panzer is just as thick as the top armor of the ostwind(Though it is invisible).  Both are pierceable by any strafing plane.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 02:12:25 AM »
bs Innominate

we posted pentration data, armor thickness, angle of strike and striking velocity etc.

even hts own chart he posted showed that somethings not right.

The ballistic model of the 50 cals arent in question. It just as toad stated in that the damage model is subjective.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 02:42:04 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan

The ballistic model of the 50 cals arent in question. It just as toad stated in that the damage model is subjective.

Just a thinly disguised osty whine.  Not disputing the armor penetration, just pointing out that the open turret of the ostwind seems equally protected as the panzer turret.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 03:17:24 AM »
Originally posted by Innominate

Just a thinly disguised osty whine.  Not disputing the armor penetration, just pointing out that the open turret of the ostwind seems equally protected as the panzer turret.

Actually, you can strafe panzers from the vertical and it generally is ineffective while that's the easiest way to kill an osty.

Again, I'm speaking of Aces High and have absolutely no idea about real tanks.  Even worse, I'm not even sure what would be best for game play (so far as concessions go.)

curly

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Panzer damage model
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 08:13:55 AM »
Curly, I think you are right about a .50 and the ordnance grade steel of an artillery tube.

As I said, though, I think it's a damage model concern. I also think they're aware of it and I think it is "on the list".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!