Author Topic: Direction  (Read 365 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Direction
« on: April 24, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
Its time to find some sense of direction.

This community is floundering on the same old hangups its had for more than a year.  Its time to stop complaining about what others are doing and start leading by example.

What will this accomplish?  I don't know.

Will it make the community better?  It couldn't possibly make it worse.

Some places to start:
  • Aircraft: If you don't like a plane, whining about it is not the solution.  Try something a bit more passive.  Don't acknowledge it in any way... either here or in the arena.  Avoid any encounter with one.  Basically, bore them to death.  P-51 pilots have been doing this successfully since the invention of on-line flight sims
  • Furballs:  These happen all the time in the arena, but there is no gaurantee that they will be happening all the time.  When they come, enjoy them and realize they will have to end some time.
  • Strat:   You are not a field general.  People are not executed for disobeying your orders.  People may not want to do what you want to do.  Learn to deal with it.  And 40 of 46 countrymen all flying fighters to an enemy base to "take it" is not really using strategy.
  • Flaming:  Little of the flaming going on these days is witty... especially when it boils down to too people trying to outwit each other.  Its best just to avoid it all together judging by the flaming ineptness demonstrated in this forum.
  • HTC:  They are not the root of all evil.  They are not out to screw you over via intricate plane design conspiracies.  They are not ignoring your oppinion... though they are fully entitled not to respond to it.  Quit demanding them to respond/act/fix in the manner you deam adequate.  They do all of these at a level that is unmatched by most companies.  Please recognize that.
  • The community:  Quit condemning the community for being so negative.  If I need to explain this any further, you probably weren't able to read this far into this post anyway.  Learn to promote positive mentality without pandering to people.  Concentrate on the things that keep bringing you back to the game as opposed to the things that make you log off.  Think of Aces High as a game of golf... its not all the bad shots that make you love it.. its that one really great shot.  Its time to let everyone else know that.
  • Channel 1:  Absolutely zero people in the arena want to hear the reasons why you were just killed.  Please try to remember that after you are killed.  I'm not asking everyone to throw out salutes on every fight.. I'm just asking that people stop throwing out reasons/excuses/insults after every loss (or victory for that matter).  I also ask that people ignore those that find this too difficult of a request.

Also, everything is not directed at you.  If two people are discussing the advantage of using velcro during sex with sheep, please try and take that banter for what it is... banter.  Of course, if you have an opinion on the topic, by all means participate.  Most of these discussions are held to solicite exactly the response that so many seem to be willing to generate.
These are just a few things I could think of.  I am not some kind of saint that NEVER does any of this in the arena.  To be honest.. I haven't met that person yet.  I guess I'm going to try a little harder to adhere to these principals and really wish others would too.

I'd also encourage others to make suggestions as to what they'd like to see.  The only real ground rules are: Don't tell others what to fly, how to fly, where to fly or when to fly.

AKDejaVu

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Direction
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2001, 01:13:00 PM »
Good post DjV  

Offline Checksix

• Zinc Member
Direction
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

<snipped>

Don't tell others what to fly, how to fly, where to fly or when to fly.

AKDejaVu

Yup

It's also time you stopped playing BBS monitor.  

Don't tell others what to post, how to post, where to post and when to post.  

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Direction
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
probably the best post i've ever seen on this board - couldn't have said it better - seriously.

now stop whining about whining!  

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Direction
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »

Originally posted by Checksix:
Don't tell others what to post, how to post, where to post and when to post.  

The difference between a message board and in-game radio buffer is that here people are not forced to read something they do not want to.
 Clicking on someone's thread is equivalent to coming to someone and asking for his opinion. You may agree with the content or not but hearing it was your responcibility.
 After you asked and got that opinion it is mighty stupid of you to say "who asked you?". You did.  

There is no way to tell on a message board. You can say. Others may listen. You can even speak if both parties are willing. Never tell.

Semantics...  

miko

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
Direction
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
Good post Deja, couldn't of said it better myself.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Direction
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
Hmmmmm, sex,sheep and velcro.........sounds interesting

Your web site is??  Photographic demonstrations?

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
Direction
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
 Hmmmmm this is the 2nd post on this subject
  things are looking up  ..and i do agree

------------------
DRILL
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Direction
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
Well said Deja. Thaexe are very good points.

------------------
semperfi

Everything dead in 30 minutes or less or the next one's free.
-Marines

[This message has been edited by texace (edited 04-24-2001).]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Direction
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
Well Said Deja!

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Direction
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
Thnx for the post Deja.

Zippatuh

Offline AKSneaky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.usaserve.net\sneakynet
Direction
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
1776,  Becareful what you ask for you may get it...

Arabian Knights
AKOkkies Wedding

Remember, you asked....Sneak

Offline Otter

• Copper Member
Direction
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2001, 10:08:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

< good stuff snipped>
AKDejaVu

Ummmm can I hear more about the velcro thingy?  

------------------
Otter

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Direction
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2001, 10:11:00 PM »
Bravo AKD, well said.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Direction
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2001, 10:29:00 PM »
greap post Deja, you idiot