Author Topic: Please - Your input greatly appreciated  (Read 2225 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Please - Your input greatly appreciated
« on: November 11, 1999, 05:36:00 AM »
I've always wondered just how many of us are 'historical buffs', and how many are 'aviation buffs'.  Of course, we're all aviation buffs, but when I use the term 'historical buff' I mean aviation wrt how it was applied in WWII.  Some of us are just gaga about anything that flew in WWII, and some only feel that way about a single aircraft.  Some of us have an interest in a specific air force during the war, or a specific side.  Others hold great interest in the application of airpower during WWII, be that in general or in some delineated, or national form.

My two questions to all of you are:

1) How much of your enjoyment of WWII flight sims revolves around a specific aircraft, a specific type, or a specific air force?

2) Do you prefer an online environment that simulates WWII air operations without any historically national delineations, or do you prefer an historical WWII-like environment, complete with different theaters of operations and their respective aircraft? [if I'm confusing you, this question really is asking if you like 'open arenas' or 'historical arenas']

Remember, we're talking about air operations.  I'm not asking if you want to drive a tank, or run around with a PPSh40 burp gun.  Keep it in the skies  

[Added at Flathat's request: Please, please, please!  No flaming here!  I merely want to see what everyone is interested in.  Thanks a bunch for keeping it clean thus far  ]

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 11-11-1999).]
ingame: Raz

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 1999, 05:49:00 AM »
Hi Leonid.

1)  I'm pretty much only interested in the Finnish Air Force's actions in WW2. Can't really compare any other nation's performance to FAF's...  

2) Historical. Definately. With rolling planesets of course.

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 1999, 05:59:00 AM »
1) I am interested in Luftwaffe, fighters particularly, 109 even more particularly.

2) Strictly historical, no Quake type arenas please.

------------------
Hristo,
I/JG 51

Jagdgeschwader 51  Mölders

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 1999, 06:13:00 AM »
All the types that flew in WW2.

Historical, mission oriented arena matchups a priority.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 1999, 06:48:00 AM »
1.  Primarily Luftwaffe aircraft.  Once the 190 comes out you'll have to pry me out of the cockpit with a crowbar  

2.  Historical Arena with short icon ranges.  Then again, this probably goes hand in hand with my preference for the 190.  8500yd icon ranges sure make it interesting trying for a surprise bounce... to say nothing of the all-encompassing F3 view  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 1999, 07:24:00 AM »
I enjoy historical setup combat in online gaming (read that as scenarios  

Any timeline .. any "side"... there was plenty o interesting stuff during any period of aerial combat.

well and of course there is the F4U  

But IMO historical matchup is the one and only way !

Granger

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 1999, 08:12:00 AM »
I like everything that had a wing and an engine in WWII. Nothing specific really but am partial to the p-51 and the F6-F.

My ideal online arena would have countrys with only the planesets available to that country according to a timeline that started at beginning of the war and each day or so would progress the war by a month. Doing so you would get new planes to fly as the war progresses. This would not be balanced I realize, but its tough being able to choose a P-51 or a FW-190 and fly either one, this is not much fun to me at all. Axis and allies or some mix would suit me better.

-kier-

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 1999, 08:17:00 AM »
I like it all. I do love to historically match up against arch rivals, love to be part of the big picture (Scenarios), but sometimes I just want the pure rush of mano e mano, and I don't care what planes are being used. This approach allows me to keep the game from getting stale.

As far as particular a/c or service, I guess I want to fly the obscure aircraft. If we get Il2's, I will fly them. If we get Brewsters, I will fly them. Macci? You bet! Nothing ruins a game (online sims) like everyone flying the same a/c all the time (IMHO). I do have a slight preference for those services other than American or British, primarily because their stables have been modelled ad nauseum. Are we really going to need 3-4 models of all the American and British planes (ala Brand W) before we see anything from, say, the French?

It's a great game, even now. I wish that there would be a rotation of services being rendered (i.e. Germany, Italy, Russia, etc). It would be nice to see some dedicated attack a/c. This would help with our international friends' interest, allowing others the chance to relive part of their aeronautical history too.

[This message has been edited by -kier- (edited 11-11-1999).]

Nath-BDP

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 1999, 08:19:00 AM »
I like all planes of WW 2 equally and try to know the most about each one.

Historical all the way, regular old Arena is getting repetitive,  historical scenarios in AW 2 were dope..., BIG WEEK! ;p

------------------
1./Jagdgeshwader 51 "Mölders"

Offline Gazoo

• Zinc Member
      • http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 1999, 08:22:00 AM »
Hehe well WWII is my 2nd choice, but none has done my first choice.

The Golden Age of Air Racing, from about 1923 to 35.  Man those were the times.  Guys designing aircraft on kitchen tables.  Saving and spending every last dime to get something flyable.  Sitting in a cockpit with 0 visiability at 50' travelling 200 mph within 20 feet of another airplane.  Now that is excitement. (I fly radio control pylon racing too, hehe)

But as far as WWII goes, I am into very historical mission oriented flying.  Without a mission handy (and a reason for it), I find it easy to "Quake out".  The sim just becomes a game.  I still remember my first scenario with a those sweaty palms and shaking after I got my first scenario kill (and lived to tell!).  Now that is what it is all about.

F/O Gazoo, 401 RCAF Rams.

------------------
"Just Plane Nuts"
Gazoo
 http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 1999, 08:28:00 AM »
1. I am not partial to any single aircraft. I prefer to fly in a situation when a choice of an A/C is out of my hands, like it was in a real war. Especially if the opposition flies a superior model. That makes realistic historical tactics mandatory.

2. As you can see from the #1, I am a history buff.

miko--

Werewolf

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 1999, 08:51:00 AM »
1. I am interested in anything that flies, but WW2 and the time before the war got my special interest. (Preferring LW if I would have to choose)

2. Historical Arena please. (Or events) Nothing bothers me more than to meet the same plane. The historical planes have been developed to counter each other and I like the idea of historical planes meeting in virtual combat. (Axis vs. Allied planes strictly)

Werewo
JG 301 "Heimatverteidigung"

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 1999, 08:56:00 AM »
1.) I like a great many planes and am curious enough to want to try just about anything that shows up.

2.) Perhaps because I'm not the hottest stick in human space, I'm very mission-oriented. I like operations management, weaponeering, etc. So gimme those HAs!  

Nice thread, leonid. But in order to get the most accurate picture of player preferences, can we all promise now not to flame the people who post saying they just want to furball? I'd really like to know how the numbers shake out, and the vehemence with which us history types are wont to defend our passion might discourage the folks who disagree with us from weighing in.

My $.02.

------------------
Flathat
'Black Dahlia'
No10 RNAS "The Black Flight"
Angel on your wing, devil on your tail

chisel

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 1999, 10:52:00 AM »
Luftwaffe/Commonwealth is my main interest.

Historical type arena setups preferred.

------------------
Jumpin Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows a burrow owl... lives... in a hole... in the ground!

Padlock

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 1999, 10:58:00 AM »
1) My enjoyment is based on the challenge of the contest and learning new aspects of ACM. It really has nothing to do with a specific aircraft, a specific type, or a specific air force. Dissimilar aircraft combat, where each pilot has to work the fight toward his plane's strengths, is most interesting to me.

2) I have no preference. Both 'open arenas' and 'historical arenas' have their strengths. For a quick 1-2 sortie night, an open arena with 3 or 4 countries will usually get you an uncapped field from which to launch and reasonably fair fight somewhere. For several hours of action, a scenario in a historical arena (where death ends your flying for the night) can't be beat for pucker factor.