Author Topic: Here we go again Liberals, Iraq allows insperctors back "unconditionally"!  (Read 962 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I guess you are all so blazingly happy with Saddam at the development as I'm sure he will do a bang up job in allowing them free access.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Here we go again Liberals, Iraq allows insperctors back "unconditionally"!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 08:48:54 PM »
Does this mean Dubya gets everything he wanted?

Why is that a Liberal issue?

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 08:52:36 PM »
Speaking as a moderate-conservative, I am happy. If he abides by the sanctions and allows the inspectors the access required, great. If he doesn't, and violates the terms again, then the U.N. will be more than justified in taking further action. There is no rush to bloodshed.

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 09:00:39 PM »
People call George W. a fool, but he got what he wanted without losing a single U.S. life.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 09:02:33 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if this will stop the war.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 09:04:04 PM »
Maybe, maybe not, but whose court is the ball in now, Thrawn?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 09:24:56 PM »
I would be cautious and not start the table dancing yet guys...

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 09:31:46 PM »
Originally posted by fdiron
People call George W. a fool, but he got what he wanted without losing a single U.S. life.

I wonder if Iraq's decision was influenced by Saudi Arabia's permission to allow the US use of our airbases with UN approval of military sanctions against Iraq? Whatever, I'd prefer calling GWB a peacemaker rather than a fool any day, especially if we aren't shedding blood in Iraq.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2002, 09:41:31 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
Maybe, maybe not, but whose court is the ball in now, Thrawn?

Fillipo - The Magical Clown's, apparently.

Edit:

"Iraq agrees to weapons inspections
September 16, 2002 Posted: 10:44 PM EDT (0244 GMT)

Annan confirmed Monday that Iraq had agreed to allow weapons inspectors to return without conditions.    

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- In a letter handed over to the United Nations on Monday, Iraq said it would allow the return of U.N. weapons inspectors "without conditions" to "remove any doubts Iraq still possesses weapons of mass destruction." "

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/09/16/iraq.un.letter/index.html

Cripes I hope this stops a war.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2002, 09:45:22 PM by Thrawn »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2002, 09:56:23 PM »
Well I'd rather we not go to war in Iraq, dont know why but it always bothered me a bit which was a surprise to me personally. However why should we expect any change from Hussein this time around - the last time he agreed to cooperate we had several armies inside Iraq and look how sincire his inteintion at that moment were.

So liberals who dislike Bush what do you all think will come of this? Will Hussein be a good guy and let the inspectors roam freely?

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2002, 10:01:31 PM »
I wonder if Iraq's decision was influenced by Saudi Arabia's permission to allow the US use of our airbases with UN approval of military sanctions against Iraq?

No doubt.

SA has been the key to this thing, from beginning, to this point. If binladin is still around.  I bet thats where he is at. The Bush's relationship with the Saudis makes me think Jr. may be able to turn terrorism on and off, like the Arabs do the oil.  The so called sunset clause in the, screw their constitutional rights program, may never set.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2002, 11:39:41 PM »
Stow it you crepe-hangers!

Fer Pete's SAKE! This is a POSITIVE development. Nobody is getting shot at, at least for the near term future.

And IF the inspectors go back, get FREE access and FIND NOTHING than wouldn't it be logical to start loosening up the sanctions? Good thing there, eh? Iraq rejoining the community of nations?

And if they go back and get the runaround, there's always time then to mount an offensive as someone pointed out above.

And if they go back and FIND WMD... then it's best to know and solve the situation as early as possible, isn't it?

Those of you trying to read the Saudi intentions.. good luck. They're doing what they feel is in their best national interest. Maybe seeing the US Military pull out and head to Qatar didn't give them the "warm fuzzies". Maybe the US cut a deal to support Saudi initiatives on Israel. Lots goes on behind the scenes ane we're not going to "read all about it" any time soon. Probably in our lifetimes.

For now, it's time to smile and hope for a better future.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2002, 11:47:36 PM »
Granted, I've never been to Iraq and dunno how easy it is to hide stuff there...

but considering Saddam isn't the dumbest guy in the world, he knows that giving the UN inspectors the run-around will give him time to move/hide/etc whatever he had or may have had, or has.

So, he let's 'em in this time... they find nothing... you still really think it would be a good idea to loosen the sanctions around a mad man that's been playing the UN like a hooker plays the skin flute?

I dunno... not saying we should go to war or anything like that... but by no means do I think giving Saddam any less pressure will help anyone or anything.
-SW

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2002, 11:55:36 PM »
Absolutely agreed Toad, it's the first positive thing to come out of that region in months. In the words of John Lennon, give peace a chance.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2002, 12:04:25 AM »
Well, I guess it's like this for me:

He may be real sharp and a real smooth operator.

But the rest of the world has some pretty sharp folks too. And great technology as well.

(For those who complained about CIA plants, etc... that's why you need those guys. You need guys that are good spooks and specialize in Iraq to go along and try to see what parts of the puzzle are missing, if you catch my drift. I'd love to see some of the best Spy types from Britain, Russia, Germany, France and the US go in there sneaking and peeking. I'd sure feel a lot better about the search if they did.)

Couple the investigators up to sophisticated reconnaissance/investigation techniques and I like the chances of finding out what's really happening in Iraq's possible WMD programs using UN Inspectors much better than I like the idea of the US unilaterally invading Iraq... especially since it's pretty clear that the US Congress is/would abdicate it's responsibility to declare war.

Clearly, the Congress doesn't want to touch this issue with elections coming up. They're afraid of having to actually state their postion right before many of them stand for re-election. Basically, they're chickensh*ts. Isn't it OUR RIGHT to know where a candidate stands on the issue of war with Iraq BEFORE we send the candidate to DC to speak for us?

Blecch. I hate those gutless wonders.

Anyway... for now, I'll take it. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!