Author Topic: Here we go again Liberals, Iraq allows insperctors back "unconditionally"!  (Read 961 times)

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Here we go again Liberals, Iraq allows insperctors back "unconditionally"!
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2002, 05:56:52 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
It won't surprise me one bit to find out that the inspectors don't find anything when they get there.

That logic reminds me of the guy in Full Metal Jacket who was the door gunner on a helo giving Joker a ride. He'd yell out at the Vietnamese working in the rice paddies to freeze. If they ran they were VC- if the froze they were well trained VC. Of course when asked how he could shoot women and children he had a classic answer- "Easy- You just don't lead them as much."

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2002, 05:58:26 PM »
Best part of Full Metal Jacket!  :D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2002, 06:55:30 PM »
OK heres my buy on it, as a non-Yank who's clearly not-totally-pro-USA.

First terrorism. I can't believe half the world missed this one. When pushed on potential US action in Iraq, Saddam warned that he would strike back at the US on their own soil (US soil that is). Now, Iraq has no conventional weapons capable of striking the USA. So what other weapon could Saddam possibly use? Answer - Terrorists. Conclusion, Iraq has openly admitted links to and use of terrorists on US soil.

Second, UN Inspectors. The last lot thrown out were lead by a Kiwi, thats right, an NZer, a no BS type. Iraq was clearly trying to hide toejam and this guy didn't play diplomatic roll over and rub my belly.

Third. I watched a recent report where 'diplomats and reporters' (no scientists LOL) were given a tour of a site rumoured to be a weapons development facility. Of course it was 'sanitised'. Although there were 'pens' used for livestock research, what made me laugh was there was no room for a cow/horse/anything larger than a man in these 'pens', so you can guess what sort of livestock was being 'researched'. The reporters filmed parts of the facility which were clearly recently rebuilt, and heavily fortified, and were prevented from filming in some areas by security.

Saddam is playing a waiting game. The longer it takes the world to figure it out, the more fortified Iraq becomes. And the more developed their NBC weapons become. The truth of the matter is if Iraq takes Kuwait again, the Arab nations will not get involved. If Iraq strikes Israel, the Arab nations 'officially' will 'protest', but they won't lift a finger against Saddam. They are scared.

By now Saddam has read up on the US military tactics, he has learned of any weakness from Desert Storm. He is prepared to use weapons the west find horrific, even at the cost of his own people.

We are essentially, looking at a Hitler scenario.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2002, 07:08:58 PM »
Yes Vulcan but we should postpo, I mean avoid war at all cost. If we were to do something right now people could, shock horror  get killed.  But we all know far fewer people will suffer when Saddam has and starts lobbing nukes in a few years.

Consider yourselves warned Munich types.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2002, 08:41:16 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2002, 08:10:56 PM »
Goes to prove yet again that a real threat of force is a bigger motivator than constant talk and resolutions. ( Still dont believe Sadam will follow through though(

Bush is doing a great job.

Until Bush started rattling the sabre, nothing was changing in Iraq's attude.  

They know we have a President that means what he says and is not screwing around.

Bush is restoring credibiltiy to the USA's power. The world needs to know that we have the power and will to defend our interests.

Only through strenght will others think twice before they attack us or support terror against us.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2002, 08:35:22 PM »
Actually, I think this is playing out just fine right now.

I even like the part where we're moving men and equipment into the area, even if it's less than 100,000 pounds in that latest shipment.

Has to give the UN Inspector team a lot more capability to see what they want to see if US troops are moving into the theater. They come to a locked door and the UN Inspectors can say "you want to open that for us... or shall we have it opened for you?" with a big smile on their faces.

Nobodies shooting, UN Inspectors are ready to go (according to the Media anyway) and the US hasn't let its guard down a bit.

Relax and unclench your hair a while and lets see how this plays out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2002, 08:59:41 PM »
Thought I was the only one who felt that way...

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2002, 09:39:05 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
 If you are refering to the Gulf war then you are wrong.  We were there to get him out of Kuwait and protect the Saudi's and thier oil.  Stormin Normin wanted to go all the way but Bush pulled the plug because of UN political pressure (enter the bleeding hearts)

I dissagree, and posit that it had more to do with geopolitical realities in the cold war era vis a vis maintaining the international coalition, than it did with "bleeding hearts" in the UN. I believe that Key nations who opposed the toppling of the Iraqi regime were acting largely in their own best interest, often with a financial stake, and not becuase of some altruistic "group hug" hippie peace nonsense. We wanted the Arabs on our side, so we made sure our war aims didn't alienate them. We wanted Soviet acquiescence, so we made sure that Sadam stayed in power (presumably because Iraq owes Russia a huge chunck of Cash).

There were a lot of factors at work there.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2002, 10:22:21 PM »
Givent he sudden sense of urgency I suspect Bush has intel that a few years is not the case.

My money is on two paths. The first, the UN inspectors get kicked out before Xmas and the US pulls the trigger. All toejam breaks loose and I'm not sure who will win (the fight will not be as easy this time). Hopefully Saddam gets a bullet between the eyes.

The second, Saddam manages to keep everyone in a holding pattern til early next year, becomes nuke capable. At this stage the US re-evaluates its objectives vs costs (a madman with nukes he is only to happy to use) in the area and pulls out. Saddam retakes Kuwait, with the Arab nations to scared to do anything because of his NBC capabilities. Next step Israel.

Just remember, when they test their first nuke the Kurds can grab their ankles and kiss their arses goodbye.

Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Yes Vulcan but we should postpo, I mean avoid war at all cost. If we were to do something right now people could, shock horror  get killed.  But we all know far fewer people will suffer when Saddam has and starts lobbing nukes in a few years.

Consider yourselves warned Munich types.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2002, 11:39:30 PM »
Yea but that intel is curropted by evil US oil companies that control Bush, so I'm inclined to believe Saddam and Tariq Azziz more when it comes to Iraqi nuclear weapons capability.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2002, 12:48:30 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

That logic reminds me of the guy in Full Metal Jacket who was the door gunner on a helo giving Joker a ride. He'd yell out at the Vietnamese working in the rice paddies to freeze. If they ran they were VC- if the froze they were well trained VC. Of course when asked how he could shoot women and children he had a classic answer- "Easy- You just don't lead them as much."

My logic appears to have struck a chord with Elfenwolf.

Okay…how about an analogy:

I am a heroin producer and dealer.  The police want to bust me because I am a menace to society.  But, I have some very high profile lawyers who appeal to the courts to prevent the police from raiding me.  I also know that the police will eventually get their way and come into my place of business to perform a search.

Instead of simply sitting around and waiting for the inevitable I pack up all of my materials required to produce my heroin and the supplies I have already manufactured and move them to a place I know that the police would not search.

In this way when the police do show up they won’t find anything.

Elfenwolf seems to find this logic very hard to understand.  I think it is rather simple.  

Perhaps though he puts a great deal of trust in Mr. Hussein.  

Whose logic is flawed again?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain