Author Topic: Internet Explorer 6 is BAAAAD  (Read 236 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Internet Explorer 6 is BAAAAD
« on: April 28, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
Did the weekly Windows Update thing and saw "Public Preview of Internet Explorer 6.0".  Sounded innocent and thought I'd try it.  Downloaded, installed and it ran ok.  Then, got a constant error message all evening long and opted to uninstall it and go back to IE 5.5.  Looked like it did, and whenever I typed a URL into my restored IE 5.5, nothing happened.  Eventually lead to a "not responding" message and thought hmmm, that's odd.

Connections out via telnet, ftp and nntp all worked, just not web.  Tried to install IE 5.5 again (i have a copy on cd) and couldnt' since it "detected a newer version already installed".

Make a long story short, IE5.5 is so tied into Windows 98 SE that I finally gave up after several hours, backed up all my pertinent data on another drive (and CDR to be save) and had to do a complete format and re-install.

Save yourself a lotta hassle, dont go to 6.0!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
Interesting, I have been running IE 6.0 beta since it came out, it actually improved some problems that arose when I installed 5.5. I just installed it on my dad's computer because I am so happy with the stability. I guess it is hardware sensitive?

------------------

[This message has been edited by streakeagle (edited 04-28-2001).]
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2001, 12:41:00 AM »
Spat's giude to new microsoft products:

1. Hear of new product.
2. Ignore it, and all temptations to try.
3. Wait 8 months.
4. See what the current public opinion is.
5. If its anything other than unanomous joy, wait another 4 months, else install it at your own risk.
6. repeat steps 4 through 6.

Its seen me right.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2001, 12:48:00 AM »
I installed Opera and aint looking back to those exploders. Its no-cost third party web browser and it surely does everything better than Microsoft.
 www.opera.com

Offline tofri

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tofri.de
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2001, 06:10:00 AM »
Spatula's guide is fine!

there is just a point 7 I would like to add.

7. Never use the autoupdate for windows. If u really need a bugfix, look for a mirror at a university or check cd on pc-magazines.

I had to reinstall windows after I used autoupdate.

tofri

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Hiya's,
       Lepaul, I ended up doing format C:  he he, Same as you after IE6
Ask Bfalcon4 about me n ole format C: , I swear i can format/install win98 blindfolded  lmao

As he said to me "Never ever d/load beta stuff for software" though games are different

Have Fun

Def

Offline Argent

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
Spatula's guide is the only way  
Like you say... IE is too closely tied into the OS so its better to let someone else 'preview' it hehe

Point 7 needs slight adjustment...
7. Never download ANY Beta software onto a critical system    or one you dont mind having to reinstall at least.

Sorry to hear your woe.... happens with all that MS 'Preview' crap though, and most of its 'official' first releases coming to think of it LOL

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
<chuckle>

Some great posts, especially what spatula said.  If you wanna go crazy trying to figure out where your girlfriend stashed all the CDs, do IE6!  I am mostly restored...in the process did the following...

1.  Learned to dispise ICQ.  I exported my AddressBook and cant import it back in!  I downloaded ICQ2000B, go to MyICQ and Messsage Archive and watch it spit out "Page not able to load".  Fun!

2.  My system is a P2 450 and upped it from 128 to 327 (128 + 128 + 64) since I had the RAM.  Every tech guide/MSDN article I've ever read is real fuzzy about RAM improvements beyond 128mb...well, I'll tell you this, Im pretty impressed at how speedy the system is now....yea yea, fresh install and all...but I'm telling you, I like Win98SE2 is liking all the RAM I gave it.  (No where near efficient as NT/2000, I'm certain, but still...not bad).

3.  Always but the disc back in the box.  I found the box to FrontPage 2000, Office 2000 and Quickbooks 2000 but no cds inside.  Recovered the first 2, the 3rd is still awol.  Nothing like a little scavenger hunt around the computer desk, eh?

4.  Run, and love, msConfig.  Be awed at all the crap that tries to load at startup, and nix it out.

5.  After years of being a Eudora user, I installed Outlook Express and imported all my mail from Eudora Pro into it.  Sorry Eudora, been registering and re-registering you for years...and if it comes to spending another $45 on you or getting ads, I'll opt for the Microsoft freebie.  Being force feed ads on my "registered" mail reader surely didnt compell me to send you more money.

6.  Savoring how fast the computer is running...then I'll re-install my Visual Basic Professional, Service Packs, MSDNs, WISE Installer and all my registered components.  After that, I should be back down to a crawl  

And finally, and no one mentioned it here...I've all but given up on Netscape.  Last time I tried Netscape was 2 years ago and it was nothing but impressive crashes and resets.  Hadn't thought of Opera, might be worth a try!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)