Author Topic: Historical Arena (Hitech Crew please read)  (Read 4457 times)

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Historical Arena (Hitech Crew please read)
« on: April 28, 2000, 08:38:00 AM »
To HighTech and crew:

First off I think as of current you have the best sim, yes it needs refinement but the basic engine is there.  Good Job!

Time and time again on this board i see your customers asking for a two country arena, A historical arena, a arena with no icons, etc...etc....

Every nite i log on and see the events arena i cringe..  I say WTF they have a arena its not used...

Why is testing not being implemented on these features that some of your customers are requesting.

If i can set up a HTH with the feature some of these people are asking for in like 2 mins
What is stopping you from setting up the current events arena for testing in 30secs or less....

Not squeaking just basic business sense...  No extra overhead to you, customer gets a taste of what he/she wants, and you get testing in which people pay $30 for....

This is a proven model, Sony/Verant's Everquest is a classic example.. Email them for yourself im shure they would be very helpful.. maybe even line up some corporate accounts...Granted they are 100 times the size of you company in revenue but considering you already have this arena its of no real extra expense to you...Its win/win for you...If it is not please inform us as such and we will stop bugging the crap out of you..

Each time you are pressured to answer you give a opinionated response this wont work, this will upset my current customers etc.etc. etc...

just alittle advice in todays hightech world(no pun intended  8D)  Stop talking about it and do, and do, do...  let the customer decide.

This is like throwing away that old pentium or 486, simply insane to the those who would dare not to use such old technology.(Turn that dino into router/ldp firewall/team lamchop Seti@home  etc...)

You have the resources:

Now DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!

trust me no action at all will kill you in this business look at wild bill's failure.

Some more advice while im ranting. Ever think of web hosting...  You have talent in web design..  you have servers  you have T's why not deversify to offset your current expenses.

But then again what do i know theres is no money to be made in web hosting.   8D   8D   8D

Flame on

DoctorYO

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
A H/A would ROCK! I would spend 95% of my time in it.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »
Amen.....

We do need an HA very badly.....

My fingers are getting sore in the MA from answering the same question, "How do I start my engine?" over and over again.

The HA is the ONLY thing I still go back to Warbirds to fly to keep some sanity, or I would have cancelled my WB account by now.

Regards,
Badger

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 04-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2000, 09:30:00 AM »
Yes, count me in as well for an HA!

------------------
Apache
Renegade Nation
"Abandon All Hope"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2000, 09:52:00 AM »
Count the 332nd in also! It's one of the few things that we miss from Brand W.

Also, I keep hearing people asking for a place where they can have a tank vs tank battle with NO F4U's!  Can we have a dedicated tank arena? Keep it smaller, less big hills, lots of little ridges etc.?

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Ghosth (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
There is simply no room for an HA in this sim....it will kill the business HTC has worked so hard to build.

Now that web hosting idea...........

Rude Out!

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2000, 10:20:00 AM »
You say that they have the resources?  Are you forgetting about man power resources?  Right now, HTC is turning out a huge amount of work in a short period of time.  Their work seems to be concentrated on adding new strategical elements to the game, extending the plane set and polishing things up (which I am all for).  

The special events arena you speak of is configured the way the MA is now.  3 countries, the same plane set, etc..  HTC can't just wiggle their nose and *POOF* it becomes a 2 country historical arena complete with a full WWII plane set.  They'd have to dedicate man hours to the conversion, which would mean selling short other areas of development (which I am not for).

Beyond all that, what historical era of WWII could be simulated right now with the plane/vehicle set limited to two japanese and russian fighters, only U.S. bombers, and only German tanks?

Personally, I want to see HTC continue what they are doing.  Concentrate on adding new planes & vehicles, creating new strategic elements and polishing up the game.  Development in those areas benefits both the main arena and a future historical arena.  When we've got a plane/vehicle set appropriate for a historical arena, then start considering it.

Gordo
Fat DRUNK Bastards

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2000, 10:21:00 AM »

Originally posted by Rude:
There is simply no room for an HA in this sim....it will kill the business HTC has worked so hard to build.

With all due respect "rude", your marketing philosophy is lost on me.  I'm just a country boy, so perhaps I've missed something fundamental about the successful business model of multiplayer on-line simulations.  We are currently seeking substantial private placement and public investments in this medium, so your feedback would be appreciated.

Could you elaborate on what the negative impact would be on HTC's flat rate revenue stream by providing an HA, when they already have a scenario arena that sits idle most of the time?

Regards,
Badger

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
Badger, I believe Rude was having a "Humour Fit" when he wrote that  

On the other hand, I have to agre with Lance on the fact that the HTC team is already busy & that we will SOON have the terrain editor in our hands :

TERRAIN EDITOR = HISTORICAL MAPS (As well)
when we have these, IT IS ONLY UP TO US to do the remaining organisation folks !

<Patton mode On>
Do you realy have to get everithing put in your hands ? Can't you have A LITTLE immagination ?

<Patton mode Off>

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-28-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2000, 10:36:00 AM »
Hi Lance....

Perhaps I just don't get it, but I fail to see the potential drain on any programming resources at HTC to provide an HA.  There's nothing to do except alter some on-line variables and perhaps delegate to a trainer the ability to alter those parameters.

It would be real simple.

When there's no designated scenario scheduled for the currently empty most of the time Special Events arena, then it's regular status would be HA.

1.  Limited distance view icons.
2.  No radar when in flight.
3.  Reduced plane set to reflect some historical reality
4.  I could care less about terrain currently, until we have the editor up and running.
5.  Two countries by direct setup, or if that's not possible, simply disable any selected third country from take off.

Again, perhaps there's something that is completely lost on me about the magnitude of what's required here, so I'm listening.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »

Originally posted by Saintaw:
Badger, I believe Rude was having a "Humour Fit" when he wrote that    

hehehe...thanks Saw....duh!!!

Being old has its drawbacks.  

I missed the humor, but that's not unusual for me.

Sorry "rude".  

Regards,
Badger

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2000, 10:42:00 AM »
Badger has nailed on the nose maybe i wasn't clear or that pinhead who replied earlier is on crack...

Change the settings to that arena.. and get some solid feedback for same bat price, same bat servers..  stay tuned.

the current Events arena is empty 99.9% of the time....

one more time:

the current events arena is empty 99.9% of the time....

Nuff said; out

DoctorYO

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
I agree with what was said!    

------------------
Swager
I/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 04-28-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2000, 11:37:00 AM »
I respectfully ask if there are plans for an HA. 190's and 109's vs. P51's, P38's and Spits, yeah baby!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2000, 12:11:00 PM »
Just a thought or a guess...

Could they be waiting for a certain sized player base before introducing another arena? Mebbe we just dont't have the numbers yet to divide between the MA and an HA.