Author Topic: Historical Arena (Hitech Crew please read)  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Historical Arena (Hitech Crew please read)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2000, 12:20:00 PM »
hmmmmm.....

Ok, so it seems a lot of people want to see a historical arena.   I'm sure that HTC are gonna see this and say.....yup, ok, you want it you got it......

However, first of all comes the plane set.  We've got to wait while they model some Axis bombers, more fighters.....and then extensively test to make sure one sides forces dont completely outfly the others.  (NOTE:  Dont give me any arguments about certain plane's quality.  This is a game and has to be kept balanced.)

Secondly, someones gotta decide on a date system.  What we don't want is all the planes available all the time.......when it's 1940 I wanna fly hurricanes.......

Thirdly, the map's gotta be done.  Next question is....how many?  Cant have Nik's flying around France.......which means more than 1 map.  Europe, Africa, Eastern Front, Pacific?  Bloody hell, thats a lot of work.
And maps sure couldn't be 1:1, flight times would be waaaaay to long.

Has HTC thought of all this?  Probably.
But no annoucements have been made.

A historical arena is a great idea and I know there's loads of us who'd never come out.  But it's not a five minute project.

Swoop
<Screamin Meenies>

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2000, 12:29:00 PM »
IF there were an HA you would find me, like several of you there 99% of the time. It just does not float my boat flying a P-38 shooting down Spits, P-51's and other Allied aircraft. Same holds true when flying for the Axis.

The 332nd uses the SEA every Sunday at 3 PM Eastern time unless another event is going on. Everytime we use it, it is a historical setup.
Snapshots

I am all for a Historical Arena. I don't think we will have long to wait with the new maps due to come out. Just remember one step at a time.

------------------------
daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels

Where men become friends and friends become brothers.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2000, 12:38:00 PM »
 I coulnt care less about an HA. I would make a beeline for a furball arena. The real problem IMHO with both ideas is the number of people playing. At off hours there are just not enough of us to go around.

The amazing thing is HTC has givin us the ability to build any kind of arena we want, and it is free to boot. We need to work on our whining. Some of it is getting down right silly. We can do better than this boys.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2000, 12:47:00 PM »
As much as I would love a HA arena I don't think it will happen for a while, AH just does not have enough players to fill one MA arena. Even WB's HA arena suffers with a lack of numbers which hardly makes it histroic with a few planes basically meeting up on a historical map for a furball.

Perhaps our energies would be better directed at taking away some of the crutches in the MA like the inflight radar and a reduction in icon range etc. Personally I'd like to see the planeset padded out before HTC channel their energies into things like a HA.

------------------
Revvin
249 Squadron RAF
Tangmere Wing

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
HA, most of the time for me.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
One thing nobody has mentioned in the HA issue is this:

Warbirds has an HA.  They have a good HA.  It is pretty much exactly what the HA types want.  

But, NOBODY flies in the HA.

The Warbird HA diehards would go begging online and on AGW for others to fly in the HA, to no avail.  Less than 20 usually inhabited the HA at any one time, often less than 10, even when there would be 200 in the MA.

When you are in an arena of less than 20 planes, the fights are way to few and far between.  So, even those that love the HA will usually abandon it for the MA.  If someone wants to fly alone, they can do that offline.

My personal feeling is, the HT crews time is much better spent improving on what they have and moving forward, not using rescources on an arena that would be woefully underused.

This is of course just my opinion, but I do base it on previous experience with an online sim that has an HA.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
Dag:

Warbirds HA is not flat rate. Many don't fly because of the added time to gain alt to enter a fight. AH already has that issue licked. I believe the problem is a pricing problem.

I think it would be different in AH but can't prove it without trying.

Ram1

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dago:

But, NOBODY flies in the HA.

Actually, I thought Nobody is a MA type   He is a great HTH opponent too.

Now give us the HA and let cannon Hog stay away from ETO.

Offline av8r

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2000, 04:49:00 PM »
I too would love to see AHHA  
(Aces High Historical Arena)  

I would like to add one comment to all the good, practical ideas expressed above...

Aces High bills us a flat monthly rate. WarBirds bills $2.00 bucks an hour. Seems to me that makes all the difference in the world.

ooops....LOL just noticed my ol squaddie Ram1 just said it too:

"Dag:
Warbirds HA is not flat rate. Many don't fly because of the added time to gain alt to enter a fight. AH already has that issue licked. I believe the problem is a pricing problem.

I think it would be different in AH but can't prove it without trying.
        Ram1 "

As one of the guys who helped make the HA the GREATEST thing in WarBirds, Ram1 KNOWS of what he speaketh.

Hey Raml, come head up AHHA for us  

Av8r

[This message has been edited by av8r (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »
Heck, gimme the terrain editor, I give you the HA map, full with Europe, Asia and African theaters  

-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2000, 06:39:00 PM »
 Heya Ram1,  it's nice to see you posting over here    I desperately hope we get an AHHA soon, although I think we need a few more planes first.  

WB's HA (and training) was what kept me playing WB the last 3 months I played it.  WB's HA was good when it first opened, but when they gave Ram1 control of it, it realy blossommed.  Many  good air battles were faught there.  I vote for him running the AHHA too  

udie

Ivedog

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2000, 07:09:00 PM »
I've been holding off on signing up with Aces High until some sort of historical aircraft matchup is offered on a regular basis.  I don't see "scenarios" as the clear cut answer to this need either.  I'd like to have a historically based arena with an "open" format so that we can plan our own missions according to our own schedules.

Ivedog

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »

Originally posted by DoctorYO:
....the current Events arena is empty 99.9% of the time....

one more time:

the current events arena is empty 99.9% of the time....

hehe...you know, I love you guys, but I swear, many of you don't read and assimilate much of what is written before you start posting.  

We are NOT talking about a NEW arena.  DoctorYo tried to synthesize the essence of the issue real simply.

THE SPECIAL EVENTS ARENA IS EMPTY , CERTAINLY OVER 90% OF THE TIME.

So, why not simply assign a trainer (as they do in WB) so that NO HTC staff resources are required to have the current SEA setup as a pseudo HA style when it's not in use.  It is obvious from the responses here and also on-line chatter, that there's a sufficient membership to utilize it as a daily HA, more than currently uses it daily as a SEA.  It is my personal opinion that by doing so, HTC would draw increased sign-ups away from WB and other competitors to come.  Again, we do not need realistic terrain at this point, but simply no radar, icons reduced substantially and a plane set balance with limitations, plus 2 countries if possible.

This doesn't seem to me to be a huge magnitude of change and would satisfy many HTC customers.  I'm not exactly sure why some are posting to this thread that they don't want an HA.  To me, it's an academic argument that has absolutely no bearing on the way they use the game.  The MA continues to be there for their enjoyment and the currently empty SEA would be there for an alternative group who are tired of answering the repeated "how do I take off ?" questions every 3 minutes.

Perhaps I completely miss the point, if so, I am listening and am prepared to stand corrected.

Regards,
Badger

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 04-29-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2000, 12:38:00 PM »
 I would like to ask a question of the strat guys. If WW11OL does go gold. How many of you are going to hang around here. And what happens to the resources that HTC might put into it.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2000, 03:04:00 PM »
Easymo-

Personally, I think I'll stay. That isn't to say that I won't look at any competing product, but I develop strong loyalties to a product and stick with it until I'm driven away.

You seem to suggest (and correct me if I'm wrong) that HTC would be wasting time with an HA because WWIIOL will be better at that aspect. If that is your point, consider this: WB, AW, MSCFS, FA, EAW and SDOE all do some things better than AH. The question is, do they balance it all better than AH? For me, no, and that's why I am here.

Opening an HA would not be a mistake; it would broaden the base of users. I would split my time over all the arenas, and play the game every way within the spirit of the rules. Some people might stay in one area or another, but never hurts to have options.