Author Topic: Does anybody use manual trim?  (Read 577 times)

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Does anybody use manual trim?
« on: September 23, 2002, 10:26:24 AM »
Since playing IL2 a bit I have noticed that trim is a major component of flying that I have been missing in AH because of Combat Trim.  Anybody Manually trim and what are the advantages?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 11:33:46 AM »
Quite a few guys say they do...

personally I can't be bothered.  I will only use manual trim if i get caught overspeed in a dive, or when flyin the 262.

As far as advantages go... well the Combat Trim is not perfect, at high speeds and low speeds its no help at all.  Watch you trim indicators next time you are vertical and going slooooo

I really think manual trim offers no advantages as far as combat goes.
If you've read the boards for IL2 you may have also noted that the implementation over there isn't quite right.... I have no experience, but to me trim in IL2 seems waay too powerful..  guys will use trim for lining up shots ... how accurate is that? +)

SKurj

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 11:36:28 AM »
Depends which airframe.

I use it alot in the 109 series, very little in turn and burn planes like the Spit.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 11:51:30 AM »
I don't use combat trim at all, just the auto pilot settings and then manual trim.  I know I do use manual trim in a fight, how much I honestly don't know because a lot of it seems automatic (from my end) I'm usually so focused on what I'm going to do that I don't notice or remember the exact control inputs.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 04:55:45 PM »
I realized how important manual trim is when I got into 109s.  Due to the severe compression they suffer from.   I now manualy trim all aircraft.

Combat trim is fine MOST of the time but not all the time.  At extreme speed or stall conditions manual trim can really make a difference.

When I started turning combat trim off I thought that I couldnt possibly do all the things required to fly, fight and trim.  I was wrong.

It just takes time to get use to.  It has become second nature to me.  Just as it will for you after a while.

I highly recommend you take the time to learn it.  It can and will improve your performance.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 06:48:41 PM »
always manual trim,always have,always will :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 07:03:01 PM »
It's not perfect but...

http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/trim.htm

I think it gives a decent idea of when to use the different trim tools available.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Trim on stick
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 07:53:15 PM »
I'm trying elevator trim buttons on my stick.  I've programmed buttons 3 and 4 (on my MSFF2) which are near the hat and accessible by my thumb.

I tend to fly the F4UD mostly and have found that using the trim helps control nose bounce when lining up a shot.  I think.

I'll also use trim, instead of flaps, to bring the nose over the top.  Trim definitely helps when zooming to a stall.

I like controlling which direction my nose wants to go.  I'm not sure it's helped me do anything better yet.

Anyone else using trim more than flaps?

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 08:27:49 PM »
actually trim in il2 is EXTREMELY over done. you can use trim as your main flight control in it. its really for minor adjustments and such. i would not use the not to good flight model of il2 as a marking point to test all other games on

and yes i use combat trim and manual in a good combination (sometimes combat trim just does not do the job) but only in dogfight scenarios while moving from point a to b or ground attacking i ignore it. also use it in level bombing a bit (manual that is)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2002, 06:27:25 AM »
on some planes like the 109 or p-38, the combat trim is a suicide device. if you set your plane in a dive, the combat trim will keep triming you forward making it harder to pull out when you reach compression.

I fly without constant combat trim, I do use it for fast rough trimming (by turning it on for a sec, then off) since the manual trim is very slow to respond.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 11:50:46 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
on some planes like the 109 or p-38, the combat trim is a suicide device. if you set your plane in a dive, the combat trim will keep triming you forward making it harder to pull out when you reach compression.

Bozon

Hit the nail right on the head with the 109 and 38 utilizing Combat Trim.  I fly the 38 most of the time and I use Manual trim extensively.  Trim works wonders with the 38 IMHO.

109 I generally only use it to control a hard dive. Thus avoiding compression.

I have just again started flying the F4u-1D and I use trim with it much like I do with the 38.

STOMP  (hiya Gooss)

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 06:28:17 PM »
Manual trim only way to go with p_38 :D

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2002, 07:51:37 PM »
Trim is important on most LW planes. I have a CH F16 Combat Stick that has 2 hat switches. Trim is on my 2nd hat switch. 109s, 262s and oddly enough the p47 i seem to use trim on as well.

Dog out.....

Offline Geeesy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2002, 06:22:51 AM »
I'm using the manual and auto trims and never the Combat Trim. But that's not because I see myself as the best pilot in the skies, which I'm sure not, but I played WB for quite some time and they had no Combat Trim there and I was too ignorant to get used to it.:D
Anyways I fail to see a difference between me and the guys flying with combat trim on, I don't do better than they and when they do better than me I don't give the combat trim the credit (this ignorance again;) ). After I read Lephturns link I don't think I've missed anything important though.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2002, 09:19:00 AM »
Combat Trim system makes perfect sense.

The instances where people use trims manually are usually limited to certain situations or certain planes. It's not like you're going to have to keep trimming your plane at every given situation in combat.. it isn't possible anyway.

When you need it, you can go manual for maximum efficiency. Otherwise, it really isn't all that important - the only difference is something like "when you want a sustained climb angle do you press shift+X, or do you set it manually?"

IL-2 is the exact opposite in that people have to trim their planes in the situations when it is hardly appropriate. The trim effects the performance of the plane so harshly that a bad set of trims will frustrate your every attempt at aiming at the target. The way trim is modelled there also advocates an exploit known as "bat turns", too.

So, in this case, whether you go manual, or combat trim, it is entirely up to your preference. Just be sure to use manual when you really, really need it, and you're OK.