Author Topic: Enlighten me  (Read 1280 times)

Ice

Enlighten me
« on: September 05, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
Since coming to AH, I've noticed some criticism directed towards those who fly with the intent of living and landing their kills, ie. this person is a scoremonger or an opportunist, etc., mostly made by LW pilots it seems.

Could some of you explain what thats about and in addition, enlighten me as to what is enjoyable about consistently failing or dying at the hands of the enemy?

I'm Out!

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
Some guys fly to live some fly to "furball".....

We each pay our monthly fee and can fly however we want!!!!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ice:
Since coming to AH, I've noticed some criticism directed towards those who fly with the intent of living and landing their kills, ie. this person is a scoremonger or an opportunist, etc., mostly made by LW pilots it seems.

Could some of you explain what thats about and in addition, enlighten me as to what is enjoyable about consistently failing or dying at the hands of the enemy?

If that way of flying means that you wont dive to clear a mate's six if there are other cons nearby, and that you will run from perfectly winnable fights instead of staying and fighting,then, sorry but I call that:

-cowardice-[/i]

<FLAME SUIT ON>

------------------
Ram, out
Erg/JG26 homepage

I WANT THIS PLANE!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-05-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2000, 03:18:00 PM »
If  your regarding the correspondence between St.Santa and I, its a joke that goes along way back, and has  nothing to do with living, or flying smartly.  

I personally encourage everyone in my squad during squad night to make it home alive, and not fall to AA if at all possible.

In regards to flying high, whatever floats your boat, however, most of the battles are down low, that's where the real pilot skill is, since just about anyone with alt can kill another in combat sims...just about anyone..

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2000, 03:20:00 PM »
ICE;

This amounts to "Talking Shmack".

From those not familiar, this means "Saying  Insults that Contain Very Little Basis of Real Fact that are Meant to Intimidate".

Don't worry about it, fly the way you want and have fun.

Good Luck!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"hehehe...I like this thread squealing Bastids!"
SOB

Ice

Enlighten me
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »
Whoa....

Didn't mean anything personal, just interested in everyones mindset and their approach to flying this sim.

Now....lets try this again and try to be civil

I'm Out!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by RAM:
 If that way of flying means that you wont dive to clear a mate's six if there are other cons nearby, and that you will run from perfectly winnable fights instead of staying and fighting,then, sorry but I call that:

-cowardice-[/i]

<FLAME SUIT ON>

BTW this does not qualify as Shmack, this just qualifies as whining.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"hehehe...I like this thread squealing Bastids!"
SOB

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by Minotaur:
BTW this does not qualify as Shmack, this just qualifies as whining.

why?...then tell me why, mino, is my opinion, not a whine.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2000, 03:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ice:
Whoa....

Didn't mean anything personal, just interested in everyones mindset and their approach to flying this sim.

Flying. Fighting. Helping mates in trouble. Having fun. Being more interested in good fights than in landing my kills. (thing, that BTW is VERY important to me, I like A LOT to land my kills. But not at the cost of boring the sheep with long runs that lead nowhere but to YAWNS)

Running and refusing to help people in trouble, for sure, have nothing to do with my view of having fun in AH.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-05-2000).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2000, 03:29:00 PM »
I don't generally criticize other people's AH style, but I think I understand the problem.

Some players like to furball til the puke.  They don't care about score, or whether they RTB.  Heck, they don't WANT to waste time landing.  They just want to dive into the fur and see how many kills they can get before they die.

Other players like to cruise the stratosphere looking for an unaware, isolated, or disadvantaged target.  They want to get their kill then get out of danger.  Get as many kills as possible without giving up the advantage, then return to base, land safely, and count their points.

The problem is when the cruiser finds a furballer on his way to the fur.  The furballer just wants to get to the action.  The cruiser wants to get a kill with the least amount of risk.  The cruiser evaluates the situation, and makes his B&Z attack(s).  He either gets the kill, or bugs out before he loses the advantage.  Either way, it is more annoying than fun for the furballer, and he may be <cough> critical of the cruiser's refusal to "fight fair".

Of course, there are many players whose styles fall between the examples above.  Some furballers like to land their kills.  Some cruisers will push their attacks beyond safety.  I think the problem arises when the extreme styles meet.

Or...something.  

In the end, everyone gets to define their own fun -- and live with the consequences.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2000, 03:52:00 PM »
Point mongers are the same here as in AW and other sims I would imagine. I look at the ranking and all I think is why.
I'm here for fun and dying is a part of that fun.
I've been having a blast these 2 months I've been here and one of the challenges I like is to get into a fight and get beat up then try to limp home and land a damaged plane. In AW with their simplistic FM it wasn't a challenge except fot the disengagement move.
So let them rack up points, if they are having fun so be it. I look at the scores and know who is going to jump in and help till he's dead or badly damaged, middle and bottom of the score sheet, or the ones that fly for points and their country be damned, top of the score sheet.

Not saying that all the top scorers are like that, but it is a good, although not always accurate indication of a non team player.

Lars

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2000, 04:01:00 PM »
The word "Coward" doesnt descibe anybodies actions in this "game". Lighten up!

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »
Pop's always say's it the best
I'm a furballer who likes to land his kills. I dislike guys that hang out over a my furball and try to pick me off. I dont mind someone coming in with alt and tangleing up with me. I dislike the guy who runs as soon as he is even close to loseing his advantage. Some guys run before they even come close to loseing it. But like they say....we pay our own bills we fly the way we want. But if I can talk a guy into turning that would usually run forever....well thats always an extra good feeling when he goes down in flames The guys that are hurt becuase of these words must, IMO have a guilty concience or it wouldnt trouble them so much

LLB OUT!!!!!!!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
Way out of wack..I dont know what you mean by top scorers but when I look at the knights that are ranked arround and above me (mid 20s) I see lots of guys that will dive to the deck to save my stupid butt without even asking...Now a steaker who cant get killed even once and still enjoy the game is a different breed of course. But none of the guys I fly with are like that. Most of the top 50 pilots(score wise) probably only have a 1.5-2.5 to 1 kill to death. These guys are getting killed plenty. There is no requirment to abandon your wingman to get a high score. Flying together and paritcipating in bombing and gooning is all it takes.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Enlighten me
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2000, 04:20:00 PM »
ICE,

I don't think this is much different than the AW enviornment was...although WB does seem to have a higher % of "score mongers".

Eye is a great example of someone who picks his spots and fly's "smart"...he's also a damm good stick. I could name a dozen others who fly the same way.

Greatest thing bout these sims is you can fly anyway you want...just don't expect the other guy to fly the way you want him to  .

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson