Author Topic: Simguild is closing its doors  (Read 477 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Simguild is closing its doors
« on: September 05, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2000, 11:42:00 PM »
Never flown their games, I heard flying circus was a hoot though, although the game itself may not have been very advanced. Wasn't BoB outa beta already?

Must be a tough market...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
FC was a hoot.  3 types of aircraft... both sides had different looks but identical flight models.  Pretty much a level playing field.

Never played BoB.. I don't think many did.

AKDejaVu

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2000, 01:59:00 AM »
FC in the Beta  days was really fun .. infact it was my first on-line sim (Subspace being the first on-line game..)

Too bad they have to close the doors .. but i gotta say i never regret that i left FC when i did ...

There was just NO progress and the companies attitude towards its customers was .. well desireable...

I hope the members of its community find another fine sim.. There are a fe promising upcoming things and 17hours might be just the one.

DW6

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2000, 02:29:00 AM »
Amen  

FC was my first online Flightsim, i
had alot Fun there years ago, the Problem
was the NO progress later. Two month ago the
showed new screenshots from the new FC
with better graphics... to late.

Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2000, 04:04:00 AM »
Yep - FC was a hoot... With current kill streak prominently displayed for all to see and every dweeb chasing after you *sigh*

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2000, 04:47:00 AM »
The Red Dragons formed in FC so for me it's a real shame to see it go. I just couldn't work out Simguild's mentality on advertising though - they didn't, and no free weekends etc... can't imagine they ever got new subscribers. It seemed to still be surviving on the last few members of the beta community about 1 1/2 years on...

It was great fun. Completely screwed up my WarBirds skills though.  

------------------

Duma
The Red Dragons
'Fierce And Bold
With Courage And Honour'
 http://www.reddragons.de

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2000, 05:33:00 AM »
I'm with you duma  ...Used to take a couple of days to back into the swing of things in WB after some time in FC!

Was good fun in the beta days...

Ex.

Renfield

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2000, 08:14:00 AM »
I also was a beta FC flyer! (We're all just Ho's ain't we?)

Was a fun sim - sorry to see it close up though I didn't even know they were still around. Didn't they restrict play to only those on the Lawton ISP server at one point? Couldn't fly without an ISP account from them so I bailed.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2000, 08:52:00 AM »
 I hate to see anyone close thier doors. But with BoB thery did it to themselves. Sadly the sim was only graphically on par with AW3 which is a bit over 3 years old.
 Add in that for $10/mo folks get more aircraft variety in FA-II and AW3 with the relaxed realism settings.

-Westy

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2000, 11:47:00 AM »
Played quite a bit of FC myself...

It was fun, but boy, did we ever have guys in there that proved the need for killshooter!

I felt the dividing line for me was the new terrain- it spaced fields way too far apart, and as the flight model didn't even approach realistic, I thought it odd that they should even attempt realism in the field distance department. FC was its funnest when it took only 5 minutes to get to the fight, and it was a massive furball once there.

As for it messing up Warbirds, I found that the gunnery was the most dramatically different aspect of the game- it would take a while to start shooting in the right direction again...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
The most fun I've ever had in a single sortie was in FC.

Dogftr and I were trying to close the last base to win the war.  We were flying for the huns in Fokkers at the time.  Each of us had a bomb.

We encountered a single contact en-route to the base and were able to dispatch him without releasing our bombs.  

As we reached the base, we both made successfull drops and the base was closed... winning the war.  Unfortunately, almost the entire allied pilots were at the base and we ended up departing the base with 10 pilots in pursuit.

In FC, the various flight models make it impossible for the slower/better-turning aircraft to out run the faster/slower-turning aircraft.  Eventually we had to turn to fight.

What ensued was a melee of death, destruction and carnage unparralled in any sortie I've flown since.  Everywhere I pointed my nose, green wings would apear in front of me.

Dogftr and I flew away with 10 allied planes nose down in the dirt.  Another plane was dispatched on the way home just as we both ran out of ammo.

The final count: Each of us came away with 6 fighter kills and most of our control surfaces

It is still a memorable sortie for me FauxPas

AKDejaVu

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
Me too  Deja me too . That sortie is forever imprinted in my memory. I like you have made and met alot friends in Simguilds games.
Its a Sad day.
I certainly hope that Simguilds Scummy and Polar Bear  and their family's are not going through any financial hardships. And that they have just elected to pursue another,more fruitful endevour.

[This message has been edited by Baddawg (edited 09-06-2000).]

Luckyone

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »
I'm sad to think they did not make it out of the garage.  ! Many of us will remember the great free fun and bad what the F*%( warps with the same as flight model. I hope this will rest in peace. I do not care for the works they presented for a simulation.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
 Used to have alot of fun with the AK's back in the beta, when I was in Jasta 11.  Sad to them go even though I didn't play their sims.

Udie