Author Topic: Suggestion: Hurricane armament  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Suggestion: Hurricane armament
« on: August 13, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Give us a choice.

4 x 20mm or 12 x .303

Not many pilots (in their right minds) would choose the .303 armed Hurri over the 20mm.  However, the option of .303s would give the CM team an excuse to try a BoB scenario without all the Luftwobbles complaining about the Hurri's firepower.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
I wonder if they loaded tracers in all 12 guns.  Man.. that musta been weird to hear 12 automatic guns fired at once.

Of course, nothing virtual beats experiencing it first hand in the arena ;)

AKDejaVu

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swoop:
Give us a choice.

4 x 20mm or 12 x .303

Would be great, swoop...but the problem is with the plane graphic. The 4 protruding hispano muzzles are there. Hard to believe you are in a 12x303 armed plane with those four monsters showing on your wing  ;)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
That's a very good point Ram.  However, I wouldnt really expect to see many .303 armed Hurri's in the MA, only really in scenarios where you can force yourself to imagine the gun barrels arent there.

After all, we once imagined for a whole month that a typhoon looked just like a beaufighter.......

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
Um.......spose there's no chance of the 40mm armed Hurri as well?   :D

Not for scenarios.....just cos I hate osties.  lol

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
i think itd be nice if the hurri was made with all 3 gun loadouts

also id like to see the yak-9d, just put a 20mm cannon in the yak-t we have now. should be real easy.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2001, 05:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
I wonder if they loaded tracers in all 12 guns.  Man.. that musta been weird to hear 12 automatic guns fired at once.

Of course, nothing virtual beats experiencing it first hand in the arena  ;)

AKDejaVu

Just sounds like Alabama on the first day of Deer season.    .303, bah! Since the English have no more Deer, I guess they figured they'd put em in planes and use up some of that ammo  :D

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
Yea, I wouldn't mind seeing the 12x.303 loadout on the Hurrican either, although nobody would ever fly it that way.

Offline pdog_109

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2001, 08:35:00 PM »
Why not? Fast rate of fire and fills the target. Probably bad for bomber and ground work but would rip an ene ac to pieces.
Spit 4 x .303  
Times 3.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »
I would! Ive been wanting a 12 X.303 hurricane for a looong time! Let the tracers FLY!  :D

I say make TWO entries for the hurricane, not one with different loadouts.

That way the cannon on the wings can be removed from the airframe.

Offline Rifle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
You guys must like fantasy football  :)

There were NO repeat NO 12x.303 armed Hurricanes involved in the Battle of Britain.

As to how the guns on the Hurricane (and the Spitfire I) were setup,

Feeding the Guns by WO Fred Tandy OEM

... the team of armoureres would be waiting at the dispersal. Each man carried one ammunition box loaded with 300 rounds of .303 ammunition under each arm. During the Battle it was usual to load two of the guns with armout-piercing ammunition, two with incendiary (Dixon-DeWilde) and four with ball ammunition; 4 of the last 25 rounds in each box of ball ammunition were tracer, to give the pilot an indication that he was nearly out."

Any WW2 sim should have;

Hurricane I : 8x .303s

Hurricane IIc : 4 x 20mm and various ord.
--- BTW in the desert, crews usually removed 2 of the guns for better weigth/maneuverability.

Hurricane IV with 2 x 40mm

Cheers,
     Rifle

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2001, 11:52:00 PM »
Some squadrons had hurricanes with 12 X.303 assigned to buff interception in BOB. Many pilots favored the 8 gun loadout because they sometimes had to fend off 109's, but the 12 .303's were wonderful against the german buffs. There were no 12 X.303 hurricane SQUADRONS aye, but there were a few planes that still had them.

If that bothers you, make the .303 Hurricane airframe model have the 12 .303 and 8 .303 option. simple as that.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2001, 12:12:00 AM »
He's right. During BoB they were worried about shortages of Browning .303's, so none of the Hurricane II at the time officially had 12 guns fitted(even though it was possible, the gun mounts etc. were there).

Apparently pilots disliked them because they were located way out on the wings - they were less accurate, and the extra weight adversely affected manoueverability and performance.

If they ever do make a Hurricane II with .303s, what Tac said about choice is a good idea(like the P-51D and P-47D have).

And now for something completely different...

ASSYMETRIC LOADOUTS!

It was common for "Hurribombers" to carry a bomb or rockets on one wing, and a drop tank on the other side(or any other combo you can think of). It's even in the pilots manual.  :)

They even put a 40mm on one side and rockets on the other, but when the cannon was fired the sudden yaw ripped the rockets off their mounting - they didn't try that idea again.  :D

Some US planes in AH have assymetric loadouts, so the Hurricane should too.