Author Topic: Mama Mia! Clouds!!!  (Read 711 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« on: November 12, 1999, 01:04:00 AM »
Hitech,

Sir, you are the man!  I kid you not.  I never would have thought just how much those clouds make a difference.  Completely blew me away!  Those clouds are fantastic.  As I flew among them I saw the individual little swirls that collectively make up the cloud masses.  Well done, Hitech!

I merged with a spit in my la5.  It had E so I jumped into a cloud.  Next thing I know it's below me inside the cloud (no icon).  As I dive down we exit the cloud and now I'm on the spit's '6'!

I love it!  WTG!

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 1999, 08:32:00 AM »
Flew for 3 hours tonight and never saw a cloud, except right at the very end of the session.

There it was... way off in the distance over the mountains.

I sure hope the movement of clouds is not synchronised primarily for US timezones  

Jekyll
C.O. Phoenix Squadron www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Stiglr

• Persona non grata
  • Copper Member
Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 1999, 12:25:00 PM »
I flew amongst the clouds last night, and for the most part, I'm very impressed. pyro was pretty blase about it, saying they're still a WIP, but he deserves a big bow based on how they are RIGHT NOW!!! Kudos, sir!

A couple of observations:

1) They really add to the sense of speed! And when you're in them, you really have to rely on that artificial horizon.  I flew into one *knowing* I was level, but with all that swirling gray, I really felt I was banked over hard port for some reason. Eerie feeling *having* to trust your instruments.
2) I distinctly remember seeing gunsnake enter a cloud ahead of me, and his icon being *partially* obscured by a few wisps of cloud. I was under the initial impression that if the plane itself were in a cloud there would be no icons showing at all. We will see further...
3) Didn't get a chance to use the clouds tactically, as they were never there when it was time to fight. Looking forward to this first encounter.

[This message has been edited by Stiglr (edited 11-12-1999).]

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 1999, 03:51:00 PM »
I'd like to see them multiplied ten fold myself...

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Swoosh

Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 1999, 06:36:00 PM »
I concur with every statement here, especially Marks.  More clouds!  

Ivedog

Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 1999, 06:43:00 PM »
I think the clouds could really be improved... most notably the extreme of either being outside the clouds or totally lost in them, with complete gray-out.

Or is this just me experiencing this?

Ivedog

------------------
m.j.iverson

-kier-

Mama Mia! Clouds!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 1999, 09:50:00 PM »
I have to say, anyone who has not experienced the clouds yet should drop whatever they are doing and immediately fly to a field under cloud cover. Some of the funnest and most immersive fights I had tonight occurred over F1... 190's darting in-and-out, C-47's sneaking in, the odd B-17... man, it was cool!