Author Topic: Anatomically Correct Skins  (Read 621 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Anatomically Correct Skins
« on: October 06, 2002, 03:33:24 PM »
So, if I make skins precisely accurate, and the LW planes have the dreaded swastika, will they be accepted? Should I leave them off?

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 03:47:59 PM »
My guess is that they would not be accepted for use in any HTC-sponsored arena. Make a separate copy for yourself I guess.

I was trying to come up with some innocuous shape that would look about right from a distance but not actually be the you-know-what. Maybe just a black diamond with a white outline?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2002, 04:22:55 PM »
leave umm off

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 03:17:16 AM »
How did the 109g6 get into the game?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 03:24:54 AM »
g6?

you mean g2?

Do a search its been covered numerous times.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 03:25:40 AM »
Whichever.

Point is, the swastika is there.  No argument wether or not it should be(I couldn't care less lol), but it is.

Offline Tsingis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.kanttorinkone.com/llv32/
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 06:16:51 AM »
Make NO MISTAKE, the old FAF symbol has politically NOTHING to do with the nazi swastika. This is a case of historical mis-branding , a sad example, how thousands of years old important symbol for different cultures has been stained permanently. This has been addressed many times before, but it seems this is not yet made absolutely clear.
The Finnish Air Force symbol was taken to use in 1918, when a Swedish Count von Rosen donated the first plane, Thulin D, which he had marked with his personal symbol of luck, to Finland's white army which then adopted the markings for the FAF. This was years before nazis existed. Unfortunately, due to the aesthetical similarities between the FAF symbol and the nazi swastika, the markings had to be replaced after WW2 under political pressure.
Tsingis of Lentolaivue 32

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2002, 06:34:53 AM »
Ahh, thanks for pointing that out.

I still fail to see the practical difference between a nazi swastika and a non-nazi swastika,  Any german military piece from ww2 is a nazi symbol as much as the swastika itself is.  

Then again, I'm not easily offended.

I suppose it does make sense to leave out the nazi swastika just for legal reasons.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2002, 06:50:48 AM »
The showing of many nazi symbols (including the nazi swastika and SS runes) is forbidden in germany. Plz leave them out.

Offline Tsingis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.kanttorinkone.com/llv32/
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2002, 06:58:12 AM »
I still fail to see the practical difference between a nazi swastika and a non-nazi swastika

If you are looking for visual differences besides the coloring, you can see that the nazi swastika is standing on its corner and the von Rosen's good luck symbol is laying on one of its sides.

P.S. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2002, 07:15:54 AM by Tsingis »
Tsingis of Lentolaivue 32

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2002, 07:41:25 AM »
Under that logic, should the eagle be banned because the Nazis used it to decorate their ceremonial flags in ancient Roman style?

Nope.

A certain visual shape out of its political context loses its status as a "symbol".