Author Topic: I'd like to see these details in games someday  (Read 264 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
I'd like to see these details in games someday
« on: July 15, 2000, 11:12:00 PM »
Now this is the detail level I wan't see in the simulator someday: http://www.tankclub.agava.ru/

Ps. don't forget to look those .avi movie files!

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 07-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 07-16-2000).]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2000, 03:31:00 AM »
For free of course. Sheesh. Oh; yah.. and with no impact on frame rates' please.

Fishu, have you ever spend a dime at HTC to compensate them for their work so far???

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2000, 03:42:00 AM »
Gotta admit tho Hang.. those *were* some perty sweet avi's eh? Hope we live long enough to see that kinda detail one day.

Nath-BDP

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2000, 05:21:00 AM »
I'm sure Fishu will pay for AH once he feels its done and worth 30$ a month.

------------------
Geschwaderkommodore JG 54
'Grünherz'

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 07-16-2000).]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »
You folks forgot ONE THING there.. I said "someday", which can be even after years.

oh.. or did I forget that there will be no new technology available for graphics anymore?

Hangtime: Are you going to use your voodoo,tnt2 or geforce still after few years? poor you.
Did you also notice that I said simulator in no particular meaning?

But not even grandpa like you, hangtime, can't say that you wouldn't like to see that sort of details someday in a simulator.

Currently you could have more detail in planes than AH has, and even more detailed textures.. I'd say that it would go between 5000-10000 polygons, which begins to look pretty good already, but for older graphics cards and computers, no eye candy with that accuracy. (btw. WB III will use 3000-5000 polygons on the planes, if they get it done)

That tank probably has 70000 polygons  
Well.. that would run fine with couple tanks and simply terrain  
But anyhow, it wont take us long to have graphics cards available that can run game with 40000 polygon models.
(Hangtime, take a little history lecture while you moan about frame rates; that stuff gets more advanced every year, currently it is too much, but in the future, NO)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2000, 02:53:00 PM »
Fishu is right, the technology will get there.  The problem lies in the amount of work, programming and art, that it takes to implement it.  We've already seen, over the last 20 years, how it has gone from 1 or 2 people in a garage spending $5,000-$100,000 dollars to make a game all the way to the now standard production team and millions of dollars in capital.  HTC is a rare example of a small group today.  The amount of programming and artisct work to get an environment as detailed as in that video would take a HUGE amount of work.  That means that you either need a very large development team or a LOT of time before the product is due.  The problem with the large team is that it is VERY expensive (salaries, equipment, office space, ect), the proplem with the long development time is that it will look dated by the time it is released, or somebody may beat you out the door, or feature creep will set in as new capabilities appear in the market and will delay the release even further.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
The Polygon count alone does not let the Modell look real.
More important are the right Lightning & Shadows.
Lets see how the new Graphic Cards with T&L will impact on real-time 3D games.

greets

----------------
Gh0stFT

A.K.A. Winner of the Desk Envy

"you had to be careful in dogfights when you were
 turning hard, flying on the brink of a stall,
 because the buck of the guns was enough to peel
 off a few critical miles per hour and make the
 Mustang simply stop flying." - Col C. E. "Bud" Anderson
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2000, 06:52:00 PM »
I am sure that someday they will have a sim that meets your specifications. I am sure that the Fishu D22 will be overmodeled as well!  

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 07-16-2000).]
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2000, 08:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by Thunder:
I am sure that someday they will have a sim that meets your specifications. I am sure that the Fishu D22 will be overmodeled as well!    

lol  

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2000, 08:46:00 PM »
hi all:

I myself am waiting for the verteral realality helmets type of thingy to come along, so in stead of running through the veiw keys, just have to look over your shoulder to see that f4u about to cut me to shreads. and yes i am sure i spelled things wrong here, to bad. so HTC, how many weeks away is this going to be, two or three. boy you make us wait along time for stuff.
hehehe, just kidding HTC, your doing a great job, and anybody that whines about anything, ask them to do a better job and get it out faster.

wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2000, 08:56:00 PM »
LOL Fishu.. I don't disagree about the improvemnets and the march of technology.

However; unlike yourself; I pay my favorite game developer monthly to keep him interested in GIVING us those improvements... as opposed to NOT paying and moaning about what ALREADY have; which is, as far as I know; one heluva lot better than anything else of it's type out to date.

Plop yer money down... pay up and play up... or shut up.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2000, 10:08:00 PM »

Originally posted by Hangtime:
LOL Fishu.. I don't disagree about the improvemnets and the march of technology.

However; unlike yourself; I pay my favorite game developer monthly to keep him interested in GIVING us those improvements... as opposed to NOT paying and moaning about what ALREADY have; which is, as far as I know; one heluva lot better than anything else of it's type out to date.

Plop yer money down... pay up and play up... or shut up.

Is HTC owned by Nvidia or 3dfx, or why should I pay for them to get such quality in graphics?
Gee.. I thought that Nvidia and 3dfx sort of companies improves graphic cards.

...and there whines one old grandpa called Hangtime who pays for improvement on his fifties and runstang and squeakes to others if he sees them as a danger to his fifties and runstang.. "what if HTC finally does what hes talking about, then my P-51 will be blown outta sky"

They balance the stuff so that theres no more some weird super characterics on something, then I'll see it worth paying and supporting with the low cash that I have.
So why don't you over rich pr*t just shut up about telling people about paying?

Ps. I don't use credit cards and I don't live in US.

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 07-16-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2000, 11:24:00 PM »
Fishu,

Everyone would like to see a virtually realistic flight sim in all aspects.  The likelyhood of that happening any time in the near future is slim.

The fact that you come onto a forum of a game that you have done nothing but leach off then present these things in a manner that indicates the author's are really missing the boat may be what got Hangtime's ire up.

How about giving it a rest.  When systems are ready for these graphics.. people will write games for them.

AKDejaVu

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2000, 12:13:00 AM »
ROFL.. since I can't get this guy to fly in the arena where I can shoot him down; I have ta settle fer pokin holes in him on the BBS.

He's a good stick; at least he was one of the best.. but when it came time to pay fer play; he opted out, citing game quality as the reason.

No bad on his part, really; he's entitled to an opinion.. but I do have a hard time passin up any kinda shot on the guy, even on the BBS.. and that's my bad.

Sorry Fishu.. my apologies fer the kick in the pants. Oh; by the way; I'm just as anxious as the LW guys to see the Dora come out. A good fight is what I like best.. and this bird will be the ponys greatest challenge.  

Why not send HTC a check and come join the Rumble..  or don't they have money in Finland?

Hang

...at home, or abroad.

skippy

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2000, 01:00:00 AM »
One question..... whens 1.05 coming out !