Author Topic: Question.  (Read 4743 times)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2002, 07:15:40 PM »
I am assuming you use this tactic in it as well.

Dont assume until you confirm.  We've fought in MA couple times and you never heard an engine cut, so no need to assume anything.

Or you can film every fight you have with a bish 51 and see if they cut their engine.

I just get upset when people assume.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Question.
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2002, 08:31:05 PM »
So are you denying that you do it in the Mustang? Besides, the way you are arguing for it, how could one think that it is a move you don't do all the time? And with the P-51 being one of your most flown aircraft, one needs to just put 1 and 1 together.

Even if you don't, whatever plane you do it in surely does not some magical engine that could withstand doing such things.

But even putting that aside, if you were in actual real-world combat, would you really consider shutting off the one thing that was keeping your plane airborne?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 08:35:36 PM by Midnight »

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2002, 08:41:00 PM »
When you show me some proof of me doing this or doing it in mutiple occasions, do share.

But you know a pilot like myself that hogs the deck in a 51, you get the sensation of hitting that toggle button, but not on more than 1 occasion have i hit the engine button.

Other than that, i am NOT a Real world pilot that flew Mustangs in WWII, so i would not know if i would do such a thing.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Question.
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2002, 09:06:05 PM »
Actually I watched wildthg and sancho duel one evening in the DA. You probably killed and restarted your engine 15 times during that duel. Bigmax was present as well and on the VOX with me and we discussed this. It was then that I realized how prevelant it is with some of the virt pilots in AH. BM told me that you, fester, and several other "good" sticks were using this to an advantage.  I reviewed the film several times to see how you gained an advantage over sancho in those duels.   Sancho then adopted using that move as well in the MA and wherever else too.  

I amy still have this film, I will take  a look. I doubt it though,  I recently ckleaned out almost a Gig of films:D  Even so, BM or sancho will say that this is true.

What am I saying? No big deal, only that wildthg DOES use this all the time to gain an advantage.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2002, 09:23:07 PM »
LOL When was this???

I have been here 1 year in AH, and ive fought so many people, that i dont recall when i fought sancho.

i dont know even know who sancho is.

And that its none of your business to tell me how i fly or what you say im still doing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 09:28:12 PM by WldThing »

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Question.
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2002, 09:46:58 PM »
It was recently,  and I am not telling you *how* to fly. I dont care. All I am saying is this *is* how you flew that day against sancho in the DA.  I would have a hard time believing that you dont remember this or if the fact that you say you don't use this to your advantage.  Dont mean to insult you, but bluntly, I think you are lieing. And  really there is no reason to lie if that is the case.  Like I said, its your choice.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2002, 11:02:41 PM »
K it was not recently even if i fought sancho, so i dont know where your gettin that from.  

And i could care less what you believe.

And that discussion is over.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Question.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2002, 05:02:56 AM »
That's BS if you can't shut off your engine in a close fite...
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Question.
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2002, 07:56:23 AM »
When its a choice i guess you pays your money and play how you want, personally i never have shut down my engine in combat and am not about to start.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Question.
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2002, 09:03:10 AM »
Better check your story Wildthing.. Rude is stating in the other disscussion over in the General Forum.... You Do it ALL the time :D

I guess I assumed right.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Question.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2002, 12:44:04 PM »
Why didnt I think of this?  Ive got to admit, hearing about this method has caught me slightly by surprise.

I used to play iENs DoA quite awhile back.  The Sopwith Camel had a blip throttle. That is to say, the engine was either on full power or off, no idle.  Since I was used to having throttle travel from idle thru full on all other rides, I soon developed the technique of turning the engine on and off as necessary during ACM to simulate the variations in power settings that I was used to.  I got quite good at it in DoA but never thought about using it when I had a working throttle.

Im quite sure I was shaving a few degrees off my high AoA maneovers because the FM would give me a short increase in nose up attitude everytime I blipped the engine off. I could easily pull inside any Camel that was just balls to the wall full thrott.
I could tell when someone was blipping the throttle as I was.  I could no longer turn inside their Camel.

Im going to have to investigate this further in AH.  Right now my gut feel is there should be at least 2 to 3 seconds passing before any engine can deliver full power after being shut down.

Now that I think about it Ive always been perturbed at how quickly AH engines go to full power, no delay, no spool up...just Idle to full as fast as you can push the throttle up.  Same goes for WEP, instant.  Damn..Im getting irritated.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2002, 12:52:51 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2002, 12:47:09 PM »
i didnt read all these posts..dam u gusy say alot...

I di read a few tho...

IN REAL Life PLNES CAN restart ther engines in the air....

Very easy...ur magnetos are off......the wind is turning your prop....

Magnetos on.....Your engine is now turning prop...

I love turning my engine off on the dive bom..I have already used overheated it on wep on my clim..and by the time i finish my dive bom..engine comes back on..and i have cooled down...

heheh SWEETTT

Love BiGB

Offline STICK

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Question.
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2002, 12:17:16 PM »
The reason for not allowing players to turn off their engines is a very simple one.  It was meant to keep everyone honest.  

If everyone could hear your engine, that meant you still had fuel and could remain fighting.

If we allowed players to turn off their engines, then inevitably someone would take advantage of that and would continue flying even after they ran out of fuel.  They of course would deny it and say they simply had their engine turned off.  We just elliminated that risk.

Locks don't keep criminals out ... they keep honest people honest.

STICK

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Question.
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2002, 12:42:12 PM »
People can't glide forever. :) Eventually they're gonna ditch or auger. Whenever I duel, if I get my engine hit, I feather my prop and try to get in a last shot or two. Nothing dishonest about that at all. IMHO, I think it's a mistake to even care about the engines of participants. If their engine is dead, they're going down eventually. If they can get a kill on the way down, well, good for them. What does that hurt? Am I missing something here?

Just my opinion.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2002, 01:50:58 PM »
no hblair..u are not missing anything..u are correct...

Love BiGB
xoxo