Author Topic: 10 Amendments.....  (Read 318 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
10 Amendments.....
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2002, 02:49:44 PM »
People often mistakenly do not make distinction between rights and amendments or the origin of the rights and the Constitution.

The Second amendment does not give us any rights - it just confirms that we have that natural right. Repeal of the Second Amendment will not cause us to lose a right to bear arms as it was not given by it in the first place. This amendment is purely declaratory - it neither gives nor restricts the rights of people or the government, just lists one of them.

In order to deprive us of that right, a separate amendment would have to be adopted that would specifically grant government power to disarm us.

Anyway, the issue is purely academical. The Constitution was never an obstacle to infringement on people's rights by legislature or courts or executive power when people tolerated it.

miko

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
10 Amendments.....
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2002, 03:27:59 PM »
I guess what I'm speaking of then is a cap on punative awards so that they are more reasonable and it  falls more under tort reform.

My remarks here are pretty much irrelevant to the subject in this light.

Thanks alot Holden :D

Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Unfortunately, the 28 Billion in not technically a fine.  A civil settlement is not a fine imposed by governemt, and is therefor not covered under the Bill of Rights.:(
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.