Author Topic: Whine! WTF with Bigweek Registration?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Whine! WTF with Bigweek Registration?
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2001, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by CRASH:
Yup, I'm pretty much fed up with it.  I've been in probably 20 or so scenarios and I've never gotten my choice of ac unless I was gl.  I'm tired of "supporting the community".  I either fly what I want or I don't fly.  HTC should run these things regularly instead of leaving us to wait months for a player supported one to come along.  

So...lemme get this straight.  

You want HTC...all 6 of 'em, mind you, to design and run scenarios in addition to coding the game, building the planes, re-evaluating flight models, taking care of customers and billing stuff, and maintaining this website?!?!  And how would you[/i] suggest they do all this CRASH?

Please...we are all ears.

The reason the CM team exists is to design and run scenarios so that HTC doesnt have to.  I am sorry that you dont get to fly the plane you want to fly in the scenario.  But ya know what, life isnt fair and you dont always get things your way.  Hell I ended up flying transports for 4 frames of Afrika Korps because I was on vacation during sign-up and didnt get my choice of aircraft...but I still had a damn good time doing it.

I guess for some its all about being there and for others its all about having things done "your way."

Sigh....   :rolleyes:

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2001, 04:08:00 AM »
Thanks Sax.

Crash - you're 'tired of supporting the community'? Eh?   :rolleyes:

Like Sling points out, life isn't fair. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes not. Some people don't let it bother them and get on with having a good time, others 'pick up their bat and ball, and go home'...

In terms of scenarios, there's always a good chance you won't get the ride you want. You have to accept that. The registration process can always be improved, and we're working to do that, but the above statement is still true.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Dowding ]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2001, 05:20:00 AM »
Geez, no matter how you do, you ALWAYS do it Wrong   :rolleyes:.

Except you are Vermillion   :o, Mr. Right makes it does it for sure everytime.

Some people should grow up.

<S> Nash, you've done it right.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2001, 06:06:00 AM »
In between all these harsh words,ill take the opportunity to say THANK YOU the people who made this possible.
I know you`ve put a lot of work into this,and I sure hope this event will run smoothly(i know it will) ;)

Dawvgrid

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
If you dont have anything constructive to say, or take action with, then I will coin a phrase of the eloquent spoken Funkedup "someone fix that guy a tall frosty glass of _shut the <sensored> up_"

Folks there is alot of work goin into this and all big events. It is impossible to  please everyone, but th CM team is tryuing. And we will learn from this and only improve it as we go. Whining and crying will do nothing to help You or the scenario.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
And my points weren't valid or constructive?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
No matter what happens now, good or bad in the scenario, the registration is going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of alot of the community of AH.    :(

How is that constructive criticism?

I'd call it unhelpful conjecture, perhaps with a touch of malice...

Your other points may have merit, and we're re-arranging things to reflect what people want or have suggested. But that closing remark just wound me up.

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
So all the rest of what I wrote about how it could have been done better, or what was done wrong, doesn't matter?  Because I state an opinon of how I think people will remember what happened, this makes everything else just a whine?  

Take my posts as a whole, don't pick them apart piece by little piece.  And then try  attribute greater meanings to those pieces.  Its one of the oldest and lamest debating tactics in the internet world.

No, what is happening here is an age old story. If you go against the party line, your a whiner. Fine then I'm a whiner.

Midnight started this thread with a very valid point, and everyone jumped onto him.  So I posted that I thought he was right, and posted what I feel to this very minute, what I think are valid points.

Step back, put away the pom-poms, and take a logical look at what happened. Do you honestly think that everyone got a fair and equal chance at signing up for this scenario?

I'm not saying that people aren't trying to do their best. I'm saying that I think mistakes were made, and I think it was unfair of the community to slam someone who steps forward to speak up.

Side Comment: Hey StSanta, maybe all that Dora flying has rubbed off on me. Its turned me into a Luftwiner  ;) Better get that leather flight suit in extra large, ready for me.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Vermillion ]

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
Verm,

You do have to admit that they are listening, that they are implimenting sugestions made by the community taht should correct some problems with the current registration processs and future ones.

With the addition of a Reserve list, Walkon list and Swap pilot list MOST (but not all) pilots should be accomodated.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline texter

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Jordi Bowman:
One other way we did REGS in AW was this.

1. People register and select 3 choices - NONE are guarenteed at the time of registration.

2. Keep registration open till enough people have signed up.

3. Assign a RANDOM Number to each person and sort them by that assigned number.

4. Fill each slot in order of thier assigned random number.

There are a lot of ways to do registrations - some are better than others but may involve more work.

Cookie (who just got back into flight sims, woo hoo!) wrote a nice script to do this automagically. check http://www.smguild.org/smgrs.html

Tex

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
I only steal the BEST ideas from others !

Originally posted by texter:

Cookie (who just got back into flight sims, woo hoo!) wrote a nice script to do this automagically. check http://www.smguild.org/smgrs.html

Tex
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
thx guys ... I'll definitely take a look at the site.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
Because I state an opinon of how I think people will remember what happened, this makes everything else just a whine?

Where did I say that? Read my post again. I've already said the criticism has been taken on board.

Take my posts as a whole, don't pick them apart piece by little piece. And then try attribute greater meanings to those pieces. Its one of the oldest and lamest debating tactics in the internet world.

If commenting on a specific part of your post offends your 'internet debating' sensibilities, then that's the way it will have to be. You posted those remarks, you shouldn't complain if I (or anyone else) takes issue with them. Why post them if you were not prepared to accept that?

You effectively said the scenario is a failure before it even begins. Perhaps that was not your intention, but that was how it came across to me.

Do you honestly think that everyone got a fair and equal chance at signing up for this scenario?

Is there such a thing as a 'fair and equal chance'? I doubt it. Someone would be left out whichever way we did it. It's more a question of how many people find themselves in that position and minimising that number.

But anyway, I don't want a slanging match over this. That wouldn't help at all. I just wanted to make my position clear. <S>

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
I went to sign up, and all the Allied fighters were taken, along with 3 of my squad mates, so I wasn't gonna be able to fly with them.  I looked at what was left and saw Wotan and Urchin in JG26 with the 190A8.  I don't fly it much, and I don't recall ever flying with these guys before, so I figured this would be a blast!  Get to fly a ride I don't very often in a squad with two who fly it as good as anyone else out there.   :)  I think two of my squadmates were able to get into this flight as well, so I'm a happy camper.

As for not getting my favorite ride...  They haven't run a scenario in the Pac theater yet, so it's just not possible.   :D  In fact, I don't really care for any of the planes in this entire scenario!  The P38 is the only fighter I've flown in the Main Arena that we've got in this scenario.  Didn't matter to me, I'm just glad to be able to participate in something like this!   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
Correct. Only critique here is that more advance notice of the *exact* opening of sign-up gives more people time to get set up to sign-up.

-W

Originally posted by Dowding:
[

Is there such a thing as a 'fair and equal chance'? I doubt it. Someone would be left out whichever way we did it. It's more a question of how many people find themselves in that position and minimising that number.