Author Topic: Paratrooper toughness  (Read 426 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Paratrooper toughness
« on: January 02, 2002, 08:04:00 AM »
The other day, me and Nimitz and other bish were defending A41 (I think.)  We killed perhaps a half-dozen goons in a 15 minute time span.

Finally, I noticed 6 M3s at some distance from the town ... perhaps 300 yards or more.
All released their troops and I was left with 60 drunks staggering towards the town.

In my mind, a carefully lined up pass with machine guns and cannons, on a file of troops would result in a devasted file.  Instead, I was able to kill about 10-15 troops before the required 10 troops made it to the maproom.

How many MG rounds does it take to kill a trooper?  I was very careful not to spray, rather I lined up on the last trooper, shot him and tried to fly up the file (with trigger depressed.)

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened to me.  Once, I had 2 1,000 pound bombs and 6 rockets.  I think I killed about 4 troops.  :)  Tough troopers, eh?  :)

I have read that a salvo of 6 VARS was supposed to be equivalent to a full broadside salvo from a DD.

This is clearly NOT gaming the game.  On the other hand, damn, those are tough troops!  

curly

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2002, 08:53:00 AM »
Don't know if our chutes and goons have the same damage modeling, but I've received more pings in a chute before dying then my plane I just bailed out of. Are the chute and the person 2 different areas in the damage map, or are they they maped as one piece?

Drex

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2002, 09:02:00 AM »
Its a ground effect of some type.  The troops are VERY difficult to nail after landing.  There have been times 3 or 4 passes were needed to get 1 trooper.

In the air, on the other hand, they are very easy to dispose of.

AKDejaVu

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2002, 09:28:00 AM »
Curly

Ive noticed the same thing, straffing some that are on the ground im seeing hit spites all over the friggin place but none are dieing. More than likely i was seeing the hit sprites from the trees, i've never noticed the drunks giving off hit sprites.

--------------

Drex

Chutes historicaly are very resistant to machinegun/cannon fire, shooting them in RL is considered useless since it would only leave very small holes in the silk.

same applies to AH, but if you shoot the actual body hanging from the chute if takes a very small ammount of MG fire to kill it.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2002, 10:41:00 AM »
Three things...

1 - Should we get a kill message for killing a trooper

2 - Seems these troopers are way to tough, dropping 2 x 1k bombs close by should have a major effect upon them, if no destroy them outright

3 - The color of troops is always the default and does not change when you change the color

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2002, 11:13:00 AM »
Since new version the troops have been REALLY hard to kill, even in the air.

Before you could see all 10 of them falling down and kill them all in one well placed burst.

Now you need to put a well placed burst on EACH one of the chutes.

Then when they are on the ground you have to expend at least 100 rounds per troop if you want to kill them.

What happened?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2002, 11:21:00 AM »
Heh...  I was defending a town the other day, and was pounding the map room doorway with 37mm from an Ostie, while the troops bravely filed in one by one.  Can you imagine?   :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2002, 11:25:00 AM »
I think they use very very very good Kevlar clothing  ;)

But yes, they take a huge amount of beating, a bomb or so near em should take out a bunch.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2002, 12:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wilbus:
I think they use very very very good Kevlar clothing   ;)

But yes, they take a huge amount of beating, a bomb or so near em should take out a bunch.

But it doesn't, Wilbus!  I dropped 2 1k bombs right on top of them and killed maybe 1 or 2.  I salvoed 6 rockets at one trooper and got him, but no one else.  And I repeat, a salvo of 6 VARS is supposedly equivalent to the broadside of a DD.

curly

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2002, 12:33:00 AM »
Did you notice, cannon round do NOT damage drunk were MG fire does. After several times straffing/airshooting drunks I wasn't able to kill ONE drunk while flying a NIKI but when I used a mg plane I would easily kill several...

ponder ponder...

Broes

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2002, 04:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by popeye:
Heh...  I was defending a town the other day, and was pounding the map room doorway with 37mm from an Ostie, while the troops bravely filed in one by one.  Can you imagine?    :)

I have seen same thing. Ostie is totally useless vs troops. Osties mg could be the best weapon instead of 37mm.
I am a spy!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2002, 04:15:00 AM »
Guys these are Screaming Eagles we are talking about.  They aren't afraid of fighter planes.  You need artillery or "special weapons".   :)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Paratrooper toughness
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2002, 05:53:00 AM »
They should be perked!