Author Topic: You're Gaming the Game if you *don't* kill your engine in flight  (Read 153 times)

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
At least if you're an N1K1 pilot:

Quote:
"The N1K1 was, however, not without its faults. Operations were plagued by frequent undercarriage malfunctions, the complex double-retraction landing gear causing lots of problems. Aircraft availability was frequently limited by insufficient maintenance crews and by logistics problems. The Homare engine was rather unreliable and was a maintenance headache. The wheel brakes were so bad that most pilots chose to land their Shidens on the grass alongside the runway in order to shorten the landing run."

So if you fly dozens of N1K sorties and never kill your engine in flight or never crash land with gear up or land on a paved runway then you are taking advantage of a gameplay feature that fails to simulate the real-world with aircraft reliability and maintenance issues and are not flying the aircraft in the spirit of a real N1K pilot; thus gaming the game.

Or so the arguement in previous threads would say.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
You're Gaming the Game if you *don't* kill your engine in flight
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 05:52:19 PM »
Well...I guess when we get an N1K1 in the game then this will apply.  Until then.....quit toggling your engines ya dweebs!!!

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Re: You're Gaming the Game if you *don't* kill your engine in flight
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 06:30:27 PM »
Originally posted by Samiam
At least if you're an N1K1 pilot:

Quote:
"The N1K1 was, however, not without its faults. Operations were plagued by frequent undercarriage malfunctions, the complex double-retraction landing gear causing lots of problems. Aircraft availability was frequently limited by insufficient maintenance crews and by logistics problems. The Homare engine was rather unreliable and was a maintenance headache. The wheel brakes were so bad that most pilots chose to land their Shidens on the grass alongside the runway in order to shorten the landing run."

So if you fly dozens of N1K sorties and never kill your engine in flight or never crash land with gear up or land on a paved runway then you are taking advantage of a gameplay feature that fails to simulate the real-world with aircraft reliability and maintenance issues and are not flying the aircraft in the spirit of a real N1K pilot; thus gaming the game.

Or so the arguement in previous threads would say.

Samiam, go back to your books and compare the N1K1, N1K1-J, N1K2-J and what we have on AH.

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 11:01:18 PM »
By gum you're right! I never fly the thing, but everybody calls it a "Niki" so I fixed it in my brain that it was an N1K1.

Golly, then shouldn't it be perked?!? :D

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 11:08:57 PM »
It should be referred to as "George" or "Shiden" if it was N1K1-J, "Shidenkai" for N1K2-J.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 11:20:32 PM »
Originally posted by Samiam
By gum you're right! I never fly the thing, but everybody calls it a "Niki" so I fixed it in my brain that it was an N1K1.

Golly, then shouldn't it be perked?!? :D

"Niki" was the Air Warrior nickname for the N1K1, for the obvious reasons.  

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song