Author Topic: I can already see a whine coming.  (Read 527 times)

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
I can already see a whine coming.
« on: September 30, 2001, 08:09:00 PM »
Hurricane IIc...or is it d...well whatever..the 40mm's....f 20mm HO's were bad enough, and the 37mm YAK attack....how is this gonna get any better?  :confused:

Offline pdog_109

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2001, 08:13:00 PM »
The Hurri with those 2 x 40mms should handle like toejam, so its not a problem dogfighting wise. But man o man you better not HO it. If you don't wanna HO you don't hafta its just that simple. Before he gets in range just do a coupla of moves, break or you can turn in his direction slowing down and he'll zoom right past you and you have a shot at his ass.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2001, 08:23:00 PM »
Anyone who whines about geeting HOed by the Hurricane will be a super dweeb.

Same thing with the IL2. If you get HOed by either one, while you are flying a fighter A/C, then you are the looser and have no reason to whine about it at all.

-----------------------------
Wing up, Get kills, Be happy!

Major Midnight - CO

The 412th is actively seeking P-51 Mustang pilots. E-mail me for more information   davidlj@charter.net

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2001, 08:41:00 PM »
your all missing my point
i'm not pesonally gonna ho them
i was tlaking aboot all the pplwho wil lcome on here and whine
it's ognna be annoying

yes yes i kno i said aboot
i AM canadian u kno  :D

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2001, 10:38:00 PM »
they wont whine about the hurricane.

the IId is an armored dog that weighs 1000 lbs more than the hurri IIC

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
...And those 40mm's got... hmm 12 or 15 shots / cannon depending from manufacturer (RR/Vickers).
Not a "Spray'n'Pray" Weapon eh ?

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2001, 12:54:00 AM »
I wasn't reffering to you directly either scooby...

I was reffering to the HO public in general.

<SALUTE>
Midnight

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2001, 02:38:00 AM »
And the 40mm guns are external, they cause alot of drag and they wight much. Try and dogfight one on one and you'll lose most fights, the plane is slow aswell so about plane in the arean can outrun it.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2001, 03:34:00 AM »
Nah, I don't think that whine is coming.

The whines I see coming are as follows:

1) The N1K2-J will still be accused of doing impossible things and people will still try to get it nerfed.

2) There are two more quad Hispano MkII cannon aircraft coming in 1.08. I expect people to whine about them after being HOed or killed in a snapshot with them.

3) People will whine something to the effect of: "There is no way that you could have caught my Me262 and killed it.  You're a cheater!"

NOTE: I have already tested various aircraft to my satisfaction, making sure that they are controlable and able to hold speed long enough to have an attempt on an Me262.  The results showed that the following aircraft seem have short windows of opportunity:

Tempest: About 30 seconds.
La-7: About 25 seconds.
Fw190D-9: About 25 seconds.
P-51D: About 20 seconds.
Typhoon: About 15 seconds.
N1K2-J: About 10 seconds.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2001, 03:41:00 AM »
One issue I wonder is will the 40mm (2pdr?) be dual armor piercing AND HE shell. Even if AP round should do quite some damage to planes it shouldn't be one ping wonder or should it?

Same goes with yaks 37mm, is it now both and what should it be?
It does kill panzers so I'd say AP.

In Rudels book some stukas eat dosen of so those 37mm (from airacobra) without going down.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2001, 03:54:00 AM »
Oh, the IIC will be a real tank killer with his quad Hispanos and his low speed and very good handling. In the real thing even Hurricanes IID had great problems to kill tanks in North Africa. They mainly destroyed cars, trucks, armored cars and Panzer MkIII. Very few Panzer MkIV were destroyed.

If you need I'll post the numbers later.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2001, 04:51:00 AM »
Gatt,

I've heard that a new armor model will be in 1.08 as well.  We'll see if it fixes the vulnerability of tanks to light weapons fire.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
I've flown the YakT ALOT this tour, its slow rate of fire cripples its HO abilities.  You must only open fire when close, and if you miss with the 1 or 2 rounds you fire, well you won't fire more than 2 before he's past you anyways....

The 40mm will have a similarly slow rate of fire and when you add the convergence factor, there will be few HO kills committed by the IId.

As far as the Hurri IId penetrating the PzIV or Osty are concerned... ermm penetration tables indicate that the 40mm will have a VERY difficult time!!  This also should apply to the 37mm on the ostwind AND the YAKT.  The 37mm should only penetrate the PzIV from very close range and then only in the rear hull of the vehicle.  The 37 and the 40 in aircraft though, should penetrate the top of the turret.

This information is easily located on the web, when I get home I will post links.

SKurj

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
Here we are: during the last two months of fighting in Tunisia the 6th Sqn Hurricanes IID flew 115 sorties, claiming hits on 26 Panzer MkIV  (none destroyed), 37 Panzer MkIII (17 destroyed), 35 other vehicles and guns. In the process 25 Hurricanes were shot down.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
"Its (Yak's) slow rate of fire cripples its HO abilities"

Try it for one more tour  ;)   The Yak-9T especially only needs one, maybe two, rounds of 37mm "lyubov'" landed during a HO to make the enemy bogy vaporise.

Westy