Author Topic: Radar......  (Read 127 times)

Offline PvtPyls

• Zinc Member
Radar......
« on: October 31, 2002, 07:02:05 PM »
Is it a terrible idea to do away with radar? I personally think it is too powerful a tool to have all of the time. At a minimum the darbar shouldn't be available across the entire map, Maybe just the fronts.

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
Radar......
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 07:10:56 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly.  In fact, I'm a fan of doing away with darbars except in sectors where there's a friendly base.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Radar......
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 08:23:04 AM »
I'd like to see the dar refresh interval set to something around 10-20 seconds.  This would let you find a fight, but eliminate "AWACS SA".
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Radar......
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 08:30:54 PM »
For an indication of how many think of this situation, look at the numbers drop in a country that loses this. If dar wasn't so important to game play it wouldn't be an issue or target of the buff players.

As for me leave it alone. It's fine the way it is.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Radar......
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2002, 07:12:17 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
For an indication of how many think of this situation, look at the numbers drop in a country that loses this. If dar wasn't so important to game play it wouldn't be an issue or target of the buff players.

As for me leave it alone. It's fine the way it is.

People hate being without dar cuz the other has dar. If everyone had limited dar it would be even and fair.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Radar......
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2002, 11:41:06 AM »
I liked how AW had the radar setup.  Only if you were within range of a friendly base's radar, would you see anything show up.   You weren't able to see radar info for the entire map.  The sector markers still showed up to let you know there was an enemy in the sector but his plane icon wouldn't.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Radar......
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2002, 12:39:42 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz

People hate being without dar cuz the other has dar. If everyone had limited dar it would be even and fair.

Please take note of the posts regarding those that say they cannot find a fight when numbers are below 250 or 300 in the pizza map as well.

You don't like dar, fine don't use it. I see it as a rather necessary concession to game play in this game. Please note the lack of the term "sim". This is not a simulation, it's an online game with none of the restrictions a true sim would have.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline niknah

• Zinc Member
Radar......
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2002, 02:38:21 PM »
I have  a suggestion...

when a country(s) has too many players there could be a logistics overload, too many planes for the controllers to talk to and the radar starts to fail for that country.

then maybe people will leave and even up numbers or the gangbanging maybe a bit less co-ordinated.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Radar......
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2002, 02:42:12 PM »
AKAK--

Remember you ALWAYS had the sector counters in AW though.  Plus sectors were a lot smaller than AH sectors.  Generally AW provided the pilot with more information than AH does (AW encouraged fighting instead of hiding and milkrunning).

As for AH, I dont' much care that they do with the dot dar, but we NEED the sector counters as a means of locating the action.

Who in their right mind wants to fly around for 30 minutes to MAYBE see action?    When dar is down, one thing you can count on is to NOT get accurate info from your countrymates so locating anything to fight is more luck than anything else.  NOT fun.

J_A_B