Author Topic: USMC ace Joe Foss still very ill  (Read 99 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
USMC ace Joe Foss still very ill
« on: November 01, 2002, 08:19:58 AM »
I received this yesterday:
_____________________________ _______________________

I just had a long conversation with Didi Foss (it's 1620 Pacific Time on 30 October). Here's the update:

Joe is still considered critical, the only "life support" gear left on him is a feeding tube.

The doctors have cleared him for "medevac" to Phoenix and, depending on who lays on a medical-type aircraft, he should be moved Monday or Tuesday. The Marines might come through, but a private company is ready to go when Joe is cleared for takeoff. (I gather it's one kind of red tape to fly a liver, as in John Ripley's case, and another to move a whole person via Marine Air.).

Joe has been reliably responding to at least one voice command, "Joe, open your eyes." I didn't ask about responses to other stimuli, but even the one is a major indicator regarding his brain function.

Didi assures me that the doctors have assured her that Joe did not have a stroke or an aneurysm, but they also don't know what brought him to this state. They have gone so far as tell Didi that, all other things being
equal, he could very well be restored to full health, but only after a lot of rehab.

Didi sounds fine. She assures me that she is eating properly and is sleeping at least six hours a night, though she does not feel rested. She is well aware of the good wishes news going around, and she okayed my sending this email to provide accurate, up-to-the minute news. She just received a hand-signed note from President Bush.

Feel free to pass this along, but please don't embellish as Didi is quite concerned that innaccuracies abound.

Eric Hammel
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 08:38:01 AM »
Sorry to hear.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 08:45:28 AM »
Yeah :(  the ranks of the WWII pilots are getting thin. A couple of months ago there was a big party here at Bodoe Air Base celebrating the 60th anniversary of the 334th squadron. The party was great according to a friend of mine that attended, but there was also sadness when it became clear that none of the original Spitfire jocks could attend due to illness or death.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 09:17:07 AM »
Thanks Widewing. Already sent hope it helps.