Author Topic: The heritage of hate  (Read 240 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
The heritage of hate
« on: November 02, 2002, 04:38:30 PM »
It's quite amusing. Have a Polish woman in my group. Being who I am, there's always jokes flying left and right as well as philosophical or political discussions.

I can say just about anything about her home country in jest - as long as it doesn't involve Russians.

She has a passionate hatred of Russians. She even considered the Germans (slightly) above them.

The other group member is a female from Iceland. Turns out they aren't fond of Danes there, due to our rather bullish behaviour in the 16th century, and various economic non favourable deals done in Copenhagen. Was told that if I went to Iceland and talked Danish in the pubs, I'd get smacked on the nose.

Danes and Swedes have been at war for many years in total. The anoimosity is now largely reduced to tongue-in-cheek comments with the Swedes taking most of the heat.

It's kind of odd to be the target of age old hatred - I had nothing to do with what happened in iceland, yet I'll be judged as a Dane, not as a person.

Which brings up another point. This isn't racism. Just stereotyping. Racism is such a mis- and overused word that it's almost meaningless. often when we say racism we mean culturalism.

At any rate, it's sort of funny how much ancient hatred is still alive. Then again, the Vikings weren't known to turn the other cheek. Well, until the Christians got here, and then all the Vikings wussed out and became sissies.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2002, 06:55:57 PM »
send the normans back to france.
 a member of    RETS   ( Return England To Saxons )

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 07:34:30 PM »
send the normans back to france.
a member of RETS ( Return England To Saxons )

And send the Saxons back to Germany, while you're at it.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2002, 07:45:22 PM »
What is the statute of limitaitions on being violently angry after a race/nation invades your country, kills your menfolk, rapes your women, adopts your children and steals your land?

I haven't been able to find that in a book.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2002, 09:59:09 PM »
Europeans should settle their historical differences in some peaceful manner,   such as football.

ra

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2002, 10:45:29 PM »
Originally posted by Nashwan

And send the Saxons back to Germany, while you're at it.

...and get all the euros outta the americas...hey lets all go back to Africa.
thats a bit of hard luck about Iceland, StSanta, no wonder y'all danes are so melancholy.  Isländsk damer är al skön

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2002, 12:15:20 AM »
If the Brits let 'um get their United States of Europe together,  They are going to find out quick, why we have so many "racial problems" here in the U.S.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
The heritage of hate
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2002, 12:16:46 AM »
The guys who really deserve reparations are the Cro-Magnons and Neanderthals.  Man we screwed those guys over!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2002, 12:50:37 AM »
Well, it was the Cro-Magnons that hosed the poor Neaderthals.

But what about Australopithecus? Who speaks for them?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2002, 01:04:16 AM »
i once gave a squirel monkey a banana, so i guess i'm cool

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
The heritage of hate
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2002, 01:12:50 AM »
I understand it.  Being part hungarian my grandmother used to go on about how much she hated Turks.  I guess every country has a few hated enemies.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2002, 02:56:03 AM »
Dunno Toad, but the statue question is an excellent one.

Offline SC-Sp00k

• Nickel Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2002, 05:53:33 AM »
What gets me is the idiot young people who were born in one country yet their parents or great great Grandparents were born in another and who claim patriotism (wear national flag T-Shirts, for in ethnic gangs etc) to the mother country they were never a part of and doesnt know they exist.
Most of them dont even speak the lingo.

I cant stand those fools.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2002, 12:28:48 PM »
Originally posted by SC-Sp00k
What gets me is the idiot young people who were born in one country yet their parents or great great Grandparents were born in another and who claim patriotism (wear national flag T-Shirts, for in ethnic gangs etc) to the mother country they were never a part of and doesnt know they exist.

Some people treat patriotism as if it were the same thing as being a fan of a baseball team.
sand

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2002, 02:07:14 PM »
Originally posted by SC-Sp00k

It has been effective for some New Yorkers of Sicilian heritage for 100 years...:)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!