Author Topic: Another Fleet Idea  (Read 123 times)

Offline RebootSequence

• Zinc Member
Another Fleet Idea
« on: November 11, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
I think I have a solution that is a good compromise to the fleet hiding argument.  It still allows for complete freedom for a side to control a fleet how it pleases and is somewhat realistic.
This is easier to explain with an example so I will write it using specific countries, but that is only to better illustrate the concept.
The rooks have a fleet that the bishops are looking for as they have recently captured its home port.  A bish pilot flying around into rook territory where no one is happens to come within visual range of the fleet.  Without having to actually spot it on his screen, he gets a message saying fleet sighted bearing xxx.  
As soon as this happens the rook fleet appears on bish 'dar with its position and current heading.  If the bish pilot leaves visual range of the fleet and no other bish is in that range, then the 'dar is updated with the approximate position of that fleet with the assumption that it remains on the heading it was sighted on.  
After maybe 40-60 minutes or so the icon fades off the dar completely because it probably isn't accurate anymore.  But if the fleet is sighted again it all of the bish again get an icon on their dar showing its last known position and heading.
This method of sighting the fleet and it appearing on other countries 'dar would also work if the fleet was in a certain range of a bish base, maybe visual range, maybe gun range?  
Another aspect could be that the rooks or at least the rook in command of the cv gets a message that the fleet was sighted by the bish whenever they find it.
This would all be much more consistent with how countries operated their navies, looking for each others fleet, guessing where they were going and also sometimes allowing a sighting to fool the enemy about what they were really up to.

What do you guys think?

-Sequence