Author Topic: VVS squads  (Read 278 times)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
VVS squads
« on: July 19, 2000, 06:00:00 AM »
Why so few ?

IMO, the most intense dogfights of WW2 were those on the Eastern front. Right now I think there is only one VVS squad active. VVS types, get together and let's try to recreate those battles.

JGs are waiting for you  

Not sure about Pacific though.

Nath-BDP

VVS squads
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2000, 06:03:00 AM »
Pacific = slaughter of IJN/IJAAF

Eastern Front = Slaughter of VVS  

------------------
Geschwaderkommodore JG 54
"Grünherz"

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 07-19-2000).]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
VVS squads
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2000, 06:08:00 AM »
Aaaah, Nath.  I love blanket statements like that almost as much as I like a good fart and piss in the morning  

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS-KA, Knights

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
VVS squads
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2000, 06:13:00 AM »
I love Leonid when he speaks french  

GATT
4°Stormo CT
"F.Baracca"

"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
VVS squads
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2000, 06:17:00 AM »
Well, I'm not in a VVS squad, but I fly VVS aircraft.

So Leonid, if you need an extra Yak driver to fight off those Borg... err ummm JG2 and the rest of the Luftwaffe horde, just give me a yell  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
VVS squads
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2000, 06:21:00 AM »
Sure thing, Verm.  I may just do that  

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
VVS squads
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2000, 07:08:00 AM »
Leonid,
Been flying the Yak alot myself....I'll through my hat in the ring with you against those crusty Waffles!

Cobra

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
VVS squads
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2000, 07:38:00 AM »
Cool, Cobra!  

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
VVS squads
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »
Because all the russians are playing freehost??  

<G,D,R>

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
VVS squads
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
 For most russians living in the former USSR $30/month is a quarter to one half of their salary. Also a good internet connection is very expensive and most do not have any. Many people there do not even have telephones, let alone computers.
 Don't expect to see a lot of players connecting from Russia/Ukraine for a couple of generations.
miko--

Nath-BDP

VVS squads
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2000, 09:47:00 AM »
Take a gander at this...

The caption under this table states the following;

"Comment:
The most commonly quoted source on this matter is Ernst Obermaier's Die Ritterkreuztriiger
der Luftwaffe, Band 1 Jagdflieger 1939-1945. According to Obermaier, the German
fighter pilots claimed a total of 70,000 aerial victories during World War 11- 25,000 against
the "West" and 45,000 on the Eastern Front. At the same time, the German Flak (AAA
batteries) reported the shooting down of more than 20,000 enemy aircraft.
According to the same source, 16,400 German day fighter aircraft were lost (total
loss, i.e. aircraft with more than 60% damage) as the result of hostile action during the war
years. 8,500 German day fighter pilots were killed, 2, 700 went missing or were taken
prisoners and 9, lOO were injured.

Different total loss figures for the RAF and USAAF are published frequently. Less
known are the loss statistics for the Soviet Air Force. The so far most reliable figures are
given in the book Red Stars, recently published in Finland. According to this, the combat
losses of the Soviet Air Force in the Second World War amounted to 46, lOO aircraft. Over
18,400 Soviet officer pilots were killed in action and another 20,600 went missing in
action or were taken prisoners.
Previously, the German author HeinzAF Schmidt (in Sowjetische Flugzeuge) put the
total number of individual combat missions undertaken by the Soviet Air Force between
June 22, 1941 and YE Day 1945 at 3,223,000, thus giving the total loss rate 1.4% for the
whole war, compared with the loss figures given in Red Star,\,. (As a comparison, the total
loss rate for the RAP Bomber Command between July 1940 and YE Day 1945, was 2.9% )
Not included in the table above are the results of the German night fighters, who
claimed to have downed a total of 5,729 Western Allied aircraft, the true figure probably
being around 5,000.
This leads to the conclusion that on average, eight Western Allied aircraft were shot
down for every ten aerial victories claimed by German day fighter pilots, while the ratio
on the Eastern Front was probably a bit smaller, due to the fact that the major part of the air
combats in this war theater took part over Soviet held territory.

From the book "Luftwaffe Fighter Aircraft In Profile" isbn 0-7643-0291-4

------------------
Geschwaderkommodore JG 54
"Grünherz"

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 07-19-2000).]

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
VVS squads
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2000, 10:57:00 AM »
Eastern Front = Slaughter of VVS

Well this may be so during the early stage of the Eastern War, but later the VVS got very good fighting machines. We don't have the best yet, but the two we have is pretty good.

Don't expect to see a lot of players connecting from Russia/Ukraine for a couple of generations.

Remember that virtual pilots are very often not coming from the country which the squadron they depict did. A good example is all the JG's. A lot of the members of these are not Germans (sometimes none of them), but from all over the world. Therefore I don't think that just because a lower percentage of russian people have acces to the Internet, is the full answer to the low ammount of VVS Squads.
Two of the reasons I can think of is the lack of knowledge most Westerners have about the russian planes. Some don't even know the IL-2, the most produced plane of the war.
An other reason there is so much more German squads than russians may be that it is more than half a century since they were the enemy. For Russia/USSR's part it is just a decade.

My own squad is a finnish squad (As Denmark's airforce consisted of a handful of Gloster Gauntlets and Fokker XXI's), but I enjoy the russian planes very much and I think I have more flight time in those this tour than anything else. I especially like the Yak, it has completely replaced the G10 for me now.

------------------
"Head-ons are for pilots that don't know what their next move should be"

Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 07-19-2000).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

dosequis

VVS squads
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »
I'd like to fly VVS, I think leonid is a good stick.

My problem is that I can't stand the Yak. I really hate the La-5. The Yak is fast, and it's a good plane, but I SUCK in it. I can fly a 109G10 or a 205, but the Yak I get creamed in.

XX
Pigs