Author Topic: Frame 3 Sunday  (Read 943 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« on: November 10, 2002, 04:39:29 PM »
Well, we tried attacking with the #s we had, I wanted to make another bomb run but we got too entagled with the IJ fighters, who engaged our Jabo P-47s near A10 after the second roll. Thanks to the Allied side for doing a good job for me, and my apologies for a short frame, I cant control the #s we had starting. Good show anyways.

IJ good fights there too!

Later.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 06:11:27 PM »
MAG33 only had five pilots, but I think we made ourselves known.  I did unusually well; three A6M5bs exploded (one on the runway), two more A6M5bs smoked, and one Ki61 finished off (on the runway) when all he had to do was stop and exit for a ditch (sorry about that one[1], you were SO close :D )

Went after a FAC on the ground, but in pure Hollywood fashon my rounds went on both sides leaving him safe in the middle[2].  About then I noticed three or four more, so I figured there was no reason to harm guys on the deck

Blew up some buildings after de-acking the town with Cav, but they rebuilt as fast as we killed them.  Went back to A10 low on gas and bullets and got jumpped by a mongral (not Mongol) hoarde of Zekes and the occasional Ki61.  Used up the last of my rounds smoking one A6M5b (the second smoker mentioned above).  After that I did some bluffing to get Zeros off of people's six.  Finally got WAY low on gas so I headed back to A10 since the battle had moved away, when what should appear but ANOTHER grop of zeros.  

One of the zekes finally removed my right wing in a HO attack, so I never did get a chance to rearm/refuel.

About halfway back to A10 Cav and I took a detour to scope out a long dot, and we opted for 10 rather than 9.  If we'd heded right back, if we hadn't gone after the city and used up all our rounds, if, if, if...  :)

to all concerned.

It was a bit odd, though, flying for the Japanese yesterday and AGAINST them today...  :cool:

EDIT:  Aside from making the Ki's 61s rather than 67s I checked the film and...

[1]  The Ki61 OTR about to ditch was SELECTOR.  Swoop smoked him, I pinged him on three separate passes, and finally got grumpy and decided not to let him get the ditch. He got about three non-critical hits on me during a mostly HO pass.  He was also the guy I dove in on to get him off MRPLUTO's tail and he broke at just the right moment.  Looks like he managed to glide from about ten miles out with a dead engine in my film.   SELECTOR; that was excellent airmanship all around!.

[2] Puh was the poor chute I straffed on the ground.  There was one other on the ground at that time.  Looking back I'm glad I missed for a couple reasons, not the least of which is the Pattonesque way the puffs of dirt came up on both sides and left him alone.  Would have been better if he'd been firing back with a 38, though  :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2002, 09:53:35 PM by Puck »
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 11:53:00 PM »
9 GIAP rolled 10 airframes at the start.  
3 upped resupply goons from A7 to A8.  An A6M-5 group upped at A8 for cover and base defence and  three N1K’s also upped at 8 and covered the goons.

The goons travelled low and fast to A8 with the N1K’s covering us directly whilst the Zeros climbed above A8.  A Safe arrival saw the field resupped and we emplaned again in a6m-5’s and soon all groups were climbing to defend the home base.  

When we (the lowest group) got to about 10K there was a report of low cons.  We pounced on a couple of A20’s.  My first run was too fast and I had to overshoot and roll out to get uncompressed.  Strangely enough an A20 appeared below me in my 12 o’clock as I got control back.  I immediately dived to attack it evan as I noticed a second A20 break and climb off to my left.  Though split from my wingy, in the absence of any other enemy threats, I continued to attack the plane in front of me.  Well I fired 3 lead bursts at d400 or less and never scored a ping.  I kept turning with him for a moment, then decided to climb  and come back for a better shot position.  A hail of bullets went high over my machine and I thrust the nose down but 2 bangs and an elevator fell off.  “Spits” somebody cried out!  Doh!

I took to the chute and looked about.  Fariz had disappeared (disco again) and Frank was alone except with a bunch of A20’s and spits all round him.  Lucky Frank - all those targets, sigh :)
Strangely though the 10-1 odds seemed to be too great and he exploded just as he got onto some enemy’s six.

I set out to manfully walk back to base.  On the way, I watched an interesting phenomenon.   It appeared that as each group got to the bottom of the stack they were slaughtered by the one immediately above.  Firstly the spits went down as our Niki’s and Zekes hit them.  Then we lost our planes when a group of P47’s dropped down.  Then another group of Zekes fell on the P47’s and shot them up.  These Zekes were then pounced by P51’s and put to the sword.  A8 became a used duralium salesman’s dream/nightmare.

As the fight drifted away from the field, one p47 sat above it and vulched any wounded planes returning to base.  He seemed to be strafing innocent bystanders too!  Sod!! :P :D

We lost another to CTD at this time.  Suddenly we were down to one guy left who had the brains to retreat and refuel.

Heard on the radio that one of our squads caught the enemy on the ground/low at A10.  Heh revenge, I thought, get that p47! ;)

A lone A20 returned and shot up A8 whilst carefullly watched from above by a number of planes.  The A20 eventually ran out of ammo and finally died of boredom or something.  A lone p47 got chased all the way to A10.  Near A10 a group of P51’s had just got airborne it seems and were heading south.  This group although superior in numbers was attacked by our N1k survivors who quickly became non-survivors.

When all tallied up - maybe not our best performance.

Resupplied field A8.
Defended A8
Lost 8 airframes (and many pilots) Killed maybe 3ish baddies.

all
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 03:42:18 AM »
Mag33 had 2  P47,s chased into 10 from our escapades at A8, you will be glad to know that after killing a few of you at 10 and finding ourselves now flying on fumes and both of us outa ammo executing dummy runs at you to keep you occupied, we were very pleased to see reinforcements arrive.
Was not the best situation for them as they were low on E but they arrived just in time to save my ass, unfortunately Puck lost his wing about now.
Luckily the field AA was fully functional and saved both RDRSlam and myself at a critical moment :)
Obviously i grabbed the opportunity to refuel / rearm and went back into the fight, apart from finishing off the fight at A10 no more action occured.

Btw was town rebuild at A8 meant to be virtually instantaneous ?

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 06:17:13 AM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Btw was town rebuild at A8 meant to be virtually instantaneous ?
Was it?  It certainly shouldn't have been!  Downtime was set to the maximum which should have more than covered the full frame.  :confused:
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 08:34:01 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Was it?  It certainly shouldn't have been!  Downtime was set to the maximum which should have more than covered the full frame.  :confused:

Don't think so.  Cav and I were making strafing runs on the town (I couldn't find Dantoo's chute  :) ) and by the time we'd get turned around, make sure nobody was sneaking up behind us, look for more chutes on the ground, and line back up the building just destroyed was rebuilt.

Thought maybe the Japanese had imported some ROOKS as slave labor to rebuild  :D

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 08:37:36 AM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
they arrived just in time to save my ass, unfortunately Puck lost his wing about now.

Poetic justice for that ground run and SELECTOR, I suspect  :D

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 12:19:20 PM »
Flossy that town at A8 was definitetly rebuilding very fast, we strafed it taking out 3 aa in 1 pass between us, coming back around we both took some buildings out at this time an A6m came at us high, while he went for Puck i took the chance to kill some more buildings :) then removed the tail from the A6m while he was looking elsewhere :D
By the time i lined back up for the town again (no more than 2 minutes) it was completely rebuilt.
At this point we decided to keep our ammo as it was a waste of time strafing, actually thought it was setup on purpose to prevent capture.

The AA seemed to stay down all the time if that helps but the buildings popped right back up.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 12:23:18 PM by 214thCavalier »

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 01:45:24 PM »
Well, I have just checked the logs, and only 4 town buildings at A8 were destroyed by strafing.... there is no evidence of any other buildings being destroyed in the town, either by strafing or bombing, and nothing was destroyed more than once.  12 acks in total were destroyed by strafing, but other than that only a fuel tank and two "structures" were destroyed with bombs....  :confused:
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 02:30:49 PM »
What can i say but i wish i would start filming :)
The town buildings were knocked out by Puck and me, as i said we stopped trying when they popped right back up again.
No matter anyway we never had a chance to capture it and we were tasked with Cap, but we got kinda bored when the enemy all died :)

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 02:45:28 PM »
I can only think its a bug at that field then.... I'll make enquiries.    Anyway, I hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment too much....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2002, 04:22:17 PM »
7 WoD showed we  patroled A13............

.................then landed.

Some of us saw a P47 once NE of 11.

Fariz latterly gave us the option to come south........but we could not have faced the prospect of A13 being hit after we had left it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 04:27:20 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2002, 05:25:19 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
I can only think its a bug at that field then.... I'll make enquiries.    Anyway, I hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment too much....  :)

Didn't even register on the "Enjoyment Spoiling" meter.  No worries, Flossy  :)

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2002, 09:11:33 PM »
Just a word on the town rebuilding:

I have seen similar on a few distinct maps in the MA.  What happens is a train or trucks comes to the town and it instantly, fully rebuilds.  Interestingly though, it can still be captured though completely standing.  There is no way to tell unless you actually see it happen.

For info: The buildings can all be destroyed again when this happens but it just isn't necessary.  I presume the same bug occurs in maps other than the couple that I have identified in the MA.  It's rarish, but I have seen it maybe 20-30 times over the years.

I have always presumed that this behaviour is what underlies the paranoid behaviour of people when they see trucks approaching a town that has been laid waste only seconds before.

Edit:

Can we presume now a general player vote against the "no destruction of ground objects by fighters" rule and just forget it?
I was very strict on this with my guys - forbidding even the de-acking of fields.  This new rule sticks in my craw as totally unrealistic and it gets harder to enthuse people to show up when they feel they are being constrained unrealistically.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 09:17:10 PM by Dantoo »
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
Frame 3 Sunday
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2002, 11:08:45 PM »
My apologies for not getting to A13 Tilt, we were rolling strike #2 and were heading to A13 as the target but got engaged right at the A10 base by A6M5s.

The other problem was the inability to have the P-51s switch into a Jabo role for mission #2.

I just ran out of options. I fully intended to hit all 3 targets. As it was we hit A8 and V31.

Later.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24