Author Topic: **IMPORTANT** If act S1416 passes ALL US WARBIRDS WILL BE DESTROYED  (Read 467 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
This is a very serious and real threat to the Warbird Community and all US Military Collectors.

At current, the National Defense Authorization Act S1416 is set to go before Congress.  As a general rule, the act is fine, encourages more home defense spending and the like, but Section 1062 of this act specifically deals with the destruction of ALL civilian owned decommissioned military equipment.  Section 1062 of this act, if passed, will bring about the destruction of all former US Department of Defense property.  That means all of it, whether it be a gun, manuals, automobile, truck, computer, boat / ship, or aircraft, it will be required to be destroyed, at the owners expense with no compensation for value.  Section 1062 is a ludicrous portion of the National Defense Act S1416 being piggy backed through to get it passed, because Act S1416 will be passed due to the crisis the US faces.  That means no more Warbirds at airshows for the likes of us.

What can you do???  You can contact your congresspersons and ask them to state their stance on the National Defense Act S1416, Section 1062.  You should also tell them that you oppose Section 1062, as it represents the destruction of this nation's heritage.  

Please, I implore you, email, write, call your congress persons, this act is a death nell for the Warbird Community as a whole in the US.

Stand up and let it be heard!  NO on NATIONAL DEFENSE ACT S1416 SECTION 1062

This is not joke.  Check online with

<Link>http://Http://www.eaa.org
<Link>http://Http://www.libertycommittee.org
<Link>http://Http://www.house.gov
<Link>http://Http://www.senate.gov
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
**IMPORTANT** If act S1416 passes ALL US WARBIRDS WILL BE DESTROYED
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 08:04:00 PM »
Email me if you need any specific info on this

bodhi83@cfl.rr.com

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
aw toejam!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2001, 08:35:00 PM »
I don't see what Bohdi's talking about in the text of this bill.  Here's the text of section 1062 of S1416 in its entirety (and it's pretty long):

SEC. 1062. AUTHORITY TO ENSURE DEMILITARIZATION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY EQUIPMENT FORMERLY OWNED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.

(a) PROHIBITION- It is unlawful for any person to possess significant military equipment formerly owned by the Department of Defense unless--

(1) the military equipment has been demilitarized in accordance with standards prescribed by the Secretary of Defense;

(2) the person is in possession of the military equipment for the purpose of demilitarizing the equipment pursuant to a Federal Government contract; or

(3) the person is specifically authorized by law or regulation to possess the military equipment.

(b) REFERRAL TO ATTORNEY GENERAL- The Secretary of Defense shall notify the Attorney General of any potential violation of subsection (a) of which the Secretary becomes aware.

(c) AUTHORITY TO REQUIRE DEMILITARIZATION- (1) The Attorney General may require any person who, in violation of subsection (a), is in possession of significant military equipment formerly owned by the Department of Defense--

(A) to demilitarize the equipment;

(B) to have the equipment demilitarized by a third party; or

(C) to return the equipment to the Federal Government for demilitarization.

(2) When the demilitarization of significant military equipment is carried out pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1), an officer or employee of the United States designated by the Attorney General shall have the right to confirm, by inspection or other means authorized by the Attorney General, that the equipment has been demilitarized.

(3) If significant military equipment is not demilitarized or returned to the Federal Government for demilitarization as required under paragraph (1) within a reasonable period after the Attorney General notifies the person in possession of the equipment of the requirement to do so, the Attorney General may request that a court of the United States issue a warrant authorizing the seizure of the military equipment in the same manner as is provided for a search warrant. If the court determines that there is probable cause to believe that the person is in possession of significant military equipment in violation of subsection (a), the court shall issue a warrant authorizing the seizure of such equipment.

(d) DEMILITARIZATION OF EQUIPMENT- (1) The Attorney General shall transfer any military equipment returned to the Federal Government or seized pursuant to subsection (c) to the Department of Defense for demilitarization.

(2) If the person in possession of significant military equipment obtained the equipment in accordance with any other provision of law, the Secretary of Defense shall bear all costs of transportation and demilitarization of the equipment and shall either--

(A) return the equipment to the person upon completion of the demilitarization; or

(B) reimburse the person for the cost incurred by that person to acquire the equipment if the Secretary determines that the cost to demilitarize and return the property to the person would be prohibitive.

(e) ESTABLISHMENT OF DEMILITARIZATION STANDARDS- (1) The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe regulations regarding the demilitarization of military equipment.

(2) The regulations shall be designed to ensure that--

(A) the equipment, after demilitarization, does not constitute a significant risk to public safety and does not have--

(i) a significant capability for use as a weapon; or

(ii) a uniquely military capability; and

(B) any person from whom private property is taken for public use under this section receives just compensation for the taking of the property.

(3) The regulations shall, at a minimum, define--

(A) the classes of significant military equipment requiring demilitarization before disposal; and

(B) what constitutes demilitarization for each class of significant military equipment.

(f) DEFINITION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY EQUIPMENT- In this section, the term `significant military equipment' means equipment that has a capability described in clause (i) or (ii) of subsection (e)(2) and--

(1) is a defense article listed on the United States Munitions List maintained under section 38 of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778) that is designated on that list as significant military equipment; or

(2) is designated by the Secretary of Defense under the regulations prescribed under subsection (e) as being equipment that it is necessary in the interest of public safety to demilitarize before disposal by the United States.

------------------------

As far as I can tell, this section makes a distinction between "demilitarization" and "destruction."  Check out, specifically, section (d)(2)(A) & (B), which compensates owners of military equipment who legally obtained their items for the costs of transporation and demilitarization, and then returns the demilitarized item to them.

So my question is... what do we mean by demilitarization?  If a P-51 doesn't have operational .50 caliber machine guns on it anymore, I'm guessing it's demilitarized and not subject to this section.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2001, 08:44:00 PM »
I don't see it happening. Somebody didn't read somethin right.  ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2001, 10:01:00 PM »
DMF is there an official definition of "demilitarization" in there as it would apply to a WW2 Fighter or Bomber?

For one man it might mean gun mounts removed.

Another man might say that no matter what you did to the gun mounts they could be restored therefore the aircraft must be destroyed.

So, how is it defined?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2001, 10:11:00 PM »
I havn't read the whole bill, but from what avweb is saying there will be no time restrictions on DMZ.

Any aircraft that is still flying that has ever been in service would have to be decommisioned (?), or made nonflyworthy. If the government so wishes.

Thats how I understand it anyhow.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Starbird ]

Offline Greg 'wmutt' Cook

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.bak.rr.com/gcook/
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2001, 10:11:00 PM »
ummm... What does this mean for all the M1 Garand owners out there?  Or any other firearm collector that has historic U.S. firearms?  It seems a bit vauge to me.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
The problem is that it is not defined.

The point here is not to argue as to whether I made the proper point, thats the reason most people stay off these boards.  The point is that significant risk to all ex-military equipment is defined within this section.

Take item 2 for instance:

(2) The regulations shall be designed to ensure that--

(A) the equipment, after demilitarization, does not constitute a significant risk to public safety and does not have--

(i) a significant capability for use as a weapon; or

(ii) a uniquely military capability;

Dropping bombs is defined as a uniquely military capability.  No more buffs flying around.  Fighters can do the same as well.  Guess what, your gonna find the aircraft demil'd by them staying on the ground with holes drilled through spars, engines cases holed, and props too.  That effectively destroys the aircraft.  Because you will not be able to fix the aircraft (not saying it could not be literally fixed) but that it will be illegal to repair the structure to make it airworthy again.

This subset has no point in staying in this bill, it only provides for some paper pushing dickwad to destroy our history and infringe on my rights, and yours, to own and operate warbirds.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2001, 12:28:00 AM »
i dont think even if bodhi is right in what this bill would do that it would ever hold up in court. i just cant see the government deliberately going after our heritage like that and i dont think anyone would let em do it either.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2001, 02:50:00 AM »
I agree with Moose here, Bohdi.  The law says you can have the equipment, but it has to be deMILITERIZED, not wrecked.

No guns, no bomb racks, stuff like that.  Your over reacting.  Under this law it appears you can buy an F-16 if you so choose, provided it is demiliterized.

Hans.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
Guys, I have been in the warbird industry for 10 years.  You can claim I am over reacting, but when the presidents of the 4 major warbird owning organizations start freaking over this bill, it tends to make me nervous too.  But hell, go ahead, you guys are kings on your computers.  Nice to see that we are all experts on law and how the government will interpret it.  I did my part, I passed this on as asked, you guys did your usual part, mocked it.  Well diddly yas, can not say I did not try.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
From what i can see the only risk here is what the term 'demilitarised' means in terms of severity.
My guess is that even a P51 with .50cals which have been made non-firing would be classed as 'demilitarised'.
Looks to me as if this is an attempt to gain some control over the US's rather large private armies like those that live in the hills,refuse federal inspections and advocate violence toward other social or racial groups.I'd suggest you welcome the proposal unless you are happy to allow individuals or certain groups to build up what is, in effect, a reasonable fighting force which could threaten innocent civiliants or even government bodies.
As the world is well aware the generals concensus of US citizens is that they have a basic right to arm and defend themselves.Your constitution gives everyone the right to own a firearm? Im not sure but that is what ive gathered.Well you have to protect yourselves from those that take it that much further and arm themselves like a real army.
In the UK all military equiptment is demilitarised(no weapons usable).I dont see our government destroying old warbirds and I doubt yours will either.They like us are proud of our heritage, but they like us dont want to see some private army springing up in our midst.
seems like a sensible proposal if you ask me, unless you dont mind losing your freedom to terrorist/freedom fighters(LOL) who are essentially lunatics.   :D

bohdi working in that industry maybe you are right and we should worry about that bill but look at history my friend and you will see that the numbers needed to present a significant threat to a government are a LOT smaller than you might imagine.
I know this is rediculous but lets just for a second imagine that the largest collector of military equiptment in america decided he supported Bin ladin and his group of fundamentalists and decides to use all of that equiptment to attack a an unsuspecting government or civilian target for the propaganda coup it would produce?.rediculous!, total fantasy!, who would be crazy enough to do that sort of thing? ...........well, after witnessing those images on the tv of the WTC attack I dont think I could rule out any possibility.
what if someone with a private collection of 30 decommissioned military vehicles decided to roll into your home town? who garentees your safety? who has garenteed these vehicles wont be able to fire shells (filled with biological agaents?) at your house?

scaremongering i grant you but after WTC disaster its time to rethink what is acceptable and what is the individuals rights and what is the populations rights.
when the individuals can threaten the majorities rights its time for some precautions.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: hazed- ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
Bodhi is right on this one.

They de-mil machine guns by melting them down into a little puddle.

Sit on your *ss if you like. I've already taken the 15 minutes to type up a letter and E-Mail it around.

THEIR idea of "Demilitarized" is P-51's turned into Coca-Cola cans.

YOUR idea of "Demilitarized" isn't going to matter to them.

With you all the way Bodhi.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
In order for these people to even own these aircraft legally, they will have had to followed demil proceedures. Otherwise the US government would not of let the aircraft off government property, and certainly would not of given them the SF-97 (certificate of release) they need in order to register the aircraft with the FAA.

Demil codes and proceedures

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: Tails ]
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)