Author Topic: VF-17 Jolly Rogers Recruiting  (Read 4050 times)

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
VF-17 Jolly Rogers Recruiting
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2003, 01:21:22 PM »
Will do. ;)

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2003, 04:22:14 PM »
Uber frustrated atm!:mad:

I got 4 2x and crashed on the 5th landing both times. This might take longer than I thought.:(

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2003, 05:58:34 PM »
I assume you're talking carrier quals. Don't get frustrated ... the whole point is .....fun.

Been meaning to post this ... it's Tom Blackburn's account of landing Corsairs on carriers:

"To routinely land aboard, a flight arrayed in right echelon passes abeam the carrier's starboard side at 1,000 feet of altitude, tail hooks down. After thirty seconds on this course, the flight leader breaks left to take the downwind heading. (The carrier always operates with her bow into the wind during takeoff operations.) Followers likewise peel off at thirty-second intervals. During this phase of the recovery, the landing checklist is followed by the pilot so that, when abeam of the ship's port side, he is ready to start the 180-degree turn into the final landing approach. Once in the final "groove" approximately 200 yards astern the ship, the plane comesunder the control of the LSO, who passes inviolable instructions by means of a pair of colorful paddles. He does everything from correcting the speed and altitude of the approaching plane to holding it steady on course or transmitting news of an oversight, such as an undropped tailhook (Oh to have that graphic modeled in AH - A.G.). At the last instant the LSO either executes the cut, in which case the aircraft lands, or the wave-off, in which case the pilot must -- absolutely must -- apply full power and clear the area without landing.

Exceptions to the basic pattern are many. For example, a critically low fuel state or damage or mechanical trouble will will get a particular plane cleared for an immediate landing -- if the flightdeck is clear(It'd be nice to have this element of reality in the game as well. - A.G.) and the ship is not under attack. If there is a problem, the pilot sets himself up to arrive in the groove by any means necessary -- dive, right turn, whatever is quickest. In an emergency, all other airplanes in the landing circle must fend for themselves while maintaining the obligatory thirty-second intervals.

After touchdown, the plane deccelerates rapidly as the tailhook picks up one of the eight arresting wires stretched tautly across the full width of the after flight deck. As the plane comes to a stop, power off, the alert pilot flips the hook control to the up position while two green shirted deck crewman come out of the edges of the deck to clear the wire from the hook. The yellow-shirted landing area plane director appears ahead and to the right of the airplane and signals the pilot to stop the plane's backward roll with his brakes and to start revving up to taxi forward. As a matter of course, the director holds his left hand out with the palm down and jabs it with the upraised thumb of his right fist. This means "hook up". As the wire drops clear, the director signals the pilot with an agitated "come ahead" signal to use full throttle to start rolling. Control is then passed to a second yellow jersey 100 feet forward along the flight deck. The director signals the pilot to continue ahead fast or -- hands out at waist level, palms down with a patting motion -- "come ahead, but slow down." As soon as the plane is out of the landing area and forward of the crash barriers (I bet I'm not the only one to wish these were modeled, as well. - A.G.), the throttle is set to idle, the brakes are applied lightly, and control is assumed by a third yellowjersy, who guides the pilot to "the landing spot" or sends him to an elevator to be struck below to the hangar deck. Done properly, the elapsed time from "hook up" to clearing the barrier is twenty seconds or less.

While watching the yellow jerseys, the pilot works the throttle with his left hand and, because the control stick is no further use, his right hand accomplishes various house-keeping chores with practiced percision by feel alone. These include opening all the cooling flaps to wide, raising the landing flaps, unlocking the wings, and setting the wing control to "fold." All this while controling the airplane with brakes and throttle, watching the yellow jerseys, and instantly responding to their commands.

Fighting-17's merciless monitors were at their posts for every landing, having positioned themselves as to have a clear view to port and especcially aft of the barriers right on up the groove. This system's net gain for all, in addition to making all hands sharp, heads-up carrier pilots, was the rapid build-up of the squadron party fund. In addition to often stinging critisism, an eloborate system of fines was imposed, no alibis accepted. It cost a dollar for a pilot-caused wave-off and fifty cents per second for a cut more than thirty seconds later than the preceeding cut. Every second over twenty seconds between "hook up" and "clear deck" cost two bits. Lesser goofs cost less, but the standards applied to every move. Only perfection was free.

The ultimate fine was five dollars if guns were not set on "safe." This dumb error had killed innocent people on the decks of other carriers, but it did not happen on Bunker Hill. The threat was real, we almost always flew with ammunition aboard, and quite often with rounds in the breeches and gun switches on. It was to be expected that a pilot would inadvertantly squeeze the trigger switch while clenching his hand during the tension of an arrested landing. The five-dollar fine was levied only once, and that without an accident. Amusingly, the culprit was our squadron gunnery officer, Lt.(JG) Timmy Gile, who, characterisitically, turned himself in." (Obviously this last and steepest fine required the honor system. - A.G.)

- The Jolly Rogers

While I don't see the necessity of having discipline forced on players in Ace's High the way it was (rightly so) in real life, I find the prospect of having organized flight deck training and operations within a squadron both fascinating and fun. It shouldn't be overly stressful or something that a player needs to worry about as far as how he is viewed by his virtual C.O. or shipmates.

I would, however, love to see some online carrier quals/flightdeck ops conducted where the more experienced players can play the part of "LSO"s while standing in "the tower" (out on the gantry - zoomed aft). The landings could be filmed for review later from this pov.

Lcdr. Reschke ... I've been given the ok to come TAD with VF-17 for an unspecified period of time. If this is ok with you, I would like to fly as a Jolly Roger again. I will still retain a relationship with the Groverats as a friend and fly with them in events and as opportunities present themselves ... but I think I would like to participate in regular flight ops with VF-17. I sent you a couple of E-mails (using the email addy on the official website) but they seem to be bouncing.

(Edit) Welcome aboard message recieved. I'm honored to be flying with VF-17 again. Thank you, sir.

Salute!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 12:29:35 PM by Arlo »

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2003, 10:43:28 PM »
I read the whole thing, and I owe about $50. :D lol

I might have been too wound up to make the 5th since I know it's so critical and without it I have to begin again. The one thing that bothers me is the closer you get the less you see clearly and at the end it's faith and gauges alone that gets ya onboard.

I also cant tell if I'm bouncing ondeck or landing smoothly. I know I was bouncing in the seafire cuz I crashed it every time. I was only gettin traps in the f4u. I'll keep tryin tho. I can fly and I'm learnin more everyday so eventually I'll get it.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2003, 11:34:26 PM »
Originally posted by zroostr
The one thing that bothers me is the closer you get the less you see clearly and at the end it's faith and gauges alone that gets ya onboard.

:D
Maybe that was why they called it the Ensign Killer...Seriously you are not far from the reality of the F4U. Although I pick a point roughly on the front of the carrier and fly the groove to there. I generally make a nice arrested stop but sometimes it does not happen that way and start second guessing yourself. I am attaching Arlo's 5 trap film in the F4U-1 here so you can take a look. He flies it differently than I do since I tend to have an occasional prop strike on landing due to the groove I take.

Arlo nice of you to post that CV document from the real guys here. Thanks and Welcome aboard again.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2003, 11:40:44 PM »
File is to big to attach. I can send it to ya if you would like to view it Zroostr.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2003, 11:58:12 PM »
Thanks and glad to be aboard.

You should see (and probably will) my SBD qual film. Boy ... my take-offs and landings were very marginal at best (haven't reviewed it yet). Had a trainer come within vox range to give me some tidbits. Told me I come in too shallow and slow ... hehe. Maybe I do but I'm more or less doing my best to mimic the description in Blackburn's book.

Had another guy fly in to take advantage of my being way out in the boonies by myself. Made some passes in a La-7 at me. Augered in and it credited me a kill. I need to review the film. I may not have made 5 traps (I think I lost count). Then someone on Yahoo messenger paged me and I stopped it there.

If I see 5 traps, I'll send it. Should be hilarious. ;)

Originally posted by Reschke
I am attaching Arlo's 5 trap film in the F4U-1 here so you can take a look. He flies it differently than I do since I tend to have an occasional prop strike on landing due to the groove I take.

Arlo nice of you to post that CV document from the real guys here. Thanks and Welcome aboard again.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2003, 12:07:31 AM »
I tend to periodically "kick the rudder" to pull the nose to one side or the other and confirm where the flat-top is. I've noticed that the engine responds well if I'm low and give it a third or half throttle to come up some. Steep approaches cause me a bit of heartburn ... I either end up too fast and have to go around or I hit the deck so hard my plane can't take off again.

Once it gets smoother, try loading up as much fuel and ordinance as you can and give it a go.

And ... relax. Ain't no washin-out or dyin. ;)

Salute!

Originally posted by zroostr
I read the whole thing, and I owe about $50. :D lol

I might have been too wound up to make the 5th since I know it's so critical and without it I have to begin again. The one thing that bothers me is the closer you get the less you see clearly and at the end it's faith and gauges alone that gets ya onboard.

I also cant tell if I'm bouncing ondeck or landing smoothly. I know I was bouncing in the seafire cuz I crashed it every time. I was only gettin traps in the f4u. I'll keep tryin tho. I can fly and I'm learnin more everyday so eventually I'll get it.

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2003, 10:36:58 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke
File is to big to attach. I can send it to ya if you would like to view it Zroostr.

Sure I'll have a look. ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2003, 05:23:01 PM »
Good time last night, guys. Thanks! Salute!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2003, 05:24:44 PM »
My first AH VF-17 kill.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2003, 05:26:05 PM »
Another angle.

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2003, 06:36:54 PM »
Looks like I may be down a coupla days not sure. I'm puttin together a new rig and I'm workin out the bugs right now.  Hopefully I'll be ready soon.

Nice pics arlo. ;)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2003, 07:50:20 PM »
Understood Zroostr. We missed ya last night but we had a blast anyway. GL getting the rig done up right.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2003, 11:57:48 AM »
VF-17 is still looking to fill some slots. If you would like to come fly with us and see if our group is a fit for you send me an email. We don't care if you're great in A2A or great in getting your tail shot out of the sky. :D

Email me through my profile or via the link in my signature which will take you to the VF-17 website.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"