Author Topic: Anyone else following the Governers race in Alabama?  (Read 224 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Anyone else following the Governers race in Alabama?
« on: November 15, 2002, 07:34:28 AM »
FYI, it aint over.  It smells of Broward county Fla.  See what Al Gore has done?:)

Really it is sad though.  There is a whole weeks worth of events that need to be sifted through to know what has happened, but the following artical gives the latest.  In a nutshell, Baldwin county initially submitted their results on election night with (alledgedly) the Dem guy (Seigleman) having alot more votes than he should have. They recognized the error and re scanned the ballots. Well, by this time Seigleman was reporting a victory for the state Governership. WHen Baldwin county said they gave Seigelman 10,000 (not sure of actual number) too many votes, that put the Repub guy (Riley) out ahead for the state. Now he is declaring victory.  From there, it started to look like the Fla debacle all over again.

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/1037269071154410.xml
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 07:36:03 AM »
Alabama?.....never heard of it;)

.......oops, now I'm in trouble.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone else following the Governers race in Alabama?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 07:42:11 AM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
....... Baldwin county said they gave Seigelman 10,000 (not sure of actual number) too many votes..............

as in Alec

there's your problem :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 08:02:22 AM »
Alec "wacko" Baldwin is not welcome in most parts of Alabama:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 08:15:50 AM »
Yep.

The smart move here is to announce to the state that if the sitting governor won't step down, then let him have his way....put the ball in his court rather than fuss like a child.

A 3000 vote margin will hold thru a re-count.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 08:39:35 AM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
Alec "wacko" Baldwin is not welcome in most parts of Alabama:)

I have a one-way plane ticket on a plane with just enough fuel to get to 30k for that stupid amazinhunk to head to France where they like his type. I'm still wondering why the handsomehunk has not come out and set his date for declaring he will be leaving the USA permanently. His seat is right beside Hanoi Janes on that flight.

While I tend to think that Rudes solution is the right one I also voted for the Libertarian candidate for Governor. Around 23% of Alabamians were tired of the mudslinging and back and forth squeaking that the Gov. Seigleman and Bob Riley were doing and voted as I did for the Libertarian candidate. As for who I think would be the better of the two I happen to know both candidates personally and think that Seigleman is the better suited for the job rather than no show congressman Riley.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 08:53:16 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2002, 05:29:59 AM »
Reschke, you know both candidates personally?  I live in Alabama and voted.  Am interested in more info.

I admit I did not vote for Siegleman even the first election, because of the lottery issue.  I know many who were of the same mind.

Imo, it just wouldn't work, with Florida and Mississsippi so nearby...their lotteries are so much greater, we wouldn't have the money to support it.

Why should I buy a ticket for a $5M payoff, when I can go to Florida and buy one for $20M or more payoff?  The odds would be the same.  All it takes is one ticket to win.

Alabama is too poor to support it.  Besides, the administration to insure the lottery was on the up and up would be expensive.  And what about the schools supported by the lottery...college scholarships?  We need money for grade school before we need money for college.

I believe this is where Siegleman went wrong.

Les