Author Topic: I need help now...  (Read 190 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
I need help now...
« on: October 03, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
I'm sorry to post it in General Discussion but I need to fix it by today...

I'm trying to flash bios but when I run it it gives me error (something like that) "This program can't run under protection mode"

I don't know what that means but I need help.

I got this message doing this.----> Formated A:\. Placed AFLASH.exe and bios upgrade to a:\. Restart in DOS mode. Going into A;\ and running aflash. ERRER  :mad:  

I tryed to disable win32 bit protection but that didn't help.

CUV4x p3 750, 320 mb ram. Win98 se.

PLEAAAAAASSEE reply NOW...

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I need help now...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2001, 11:14:00 PM »
Reboot, hit and hold F8 until system beeps. Do it just as your floppy drive is lighting up during boot. Should be before Win98 splash screen. Choose the option for command prompt only.

Go to your A drive and flash the bios.
-SW

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
I need help now...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2001, 12:59:00 AM »
I tryed that, it gives same error.
I tryed to run it on safe command prompt only. bios updated, still didn't help my system  :(

Thanks

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
I need help now...
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2001, 06:29:00 AM »
Russain,

If you are haveing this much trouble and you have not even gotten started.  I suggest you don't attempt this Bios flash.  Look at it as gods way of tell you not to attempt this.    I hope you understand what happens if a bios flash goes off wrong.  

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
I need help now...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2001, 06:41:00 AM »
Doesnt it give you an option of a bio upgrade when you f8 before windows? I was thinking when I did mine it did...?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
I need help now...
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
vatiAH is exactly correct Russian, i would not flash the BOIS if its giving you this trouble, you have a potential to loose your CMOS and if that goes you lost a motherboard. (at least a CMOS data chip)

flashing any firm ware (for any device) should only be done if it MUST be done for conpatibility with new devices and such that it didnt support when it was first released. I dont know what your motives are so i wont speculate, most certainly will not give you a proformance boost in any way.

As far as the error is concerned:
Is it saying "Windows protection error, you must reboot the continue" (or something to that effect)

If so give me your OS and system specs please.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
I need help now...
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
If you would like to help, here's the link with my problem.
 http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum15/HTML/001552.html

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Russian ]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
I need help now...
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
That's weird.  I've never seen that problem.

This might sound stupid, and it probably isn't the issue, but is the floppy write protected?

I'm just throwing a random thing out there as I've never had that kind of problem flashing a bios.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
I need help now...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »
After all these years, flashing the bios is the only computer hardware process that still scares me. Doing everything right -- I SWEAR -- I recently managed to pork a gigabyte MB with that dual bios protection scheme. Avoid if at all possible.

Charon

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
I need help now...
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
I've udated bios all ready   :)
"floppy write protected" LOL That would have been stupid  :eek: First thing I did was to check that.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
I need help now...
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
Russian, is your bios write protection turned off.  Also is the message you get a DOS message or is it generated by the program. Also when you hit F8 and go to DOS mode, use Shift F8 and step thru, don't load any of the drivers Windows loads by default into dos ie Himem.sys, Emm, theres some hidden ones too, forgot what they called thou.  Say no to each one till ya get to DOS and try it flashing again.

GL   :D