Author Topic: The more things change...  (Read 275 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
The more things change...
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:53:46 PM »
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69234

Originally posted by AKcurly
Old topic, many solutions - all unsatisfactory to HTC, otherwise they would have implemented it.

The current main arena isn't as much fun as it used to be.  Typical nightime (US time zones) numbers for the last two months have looked like this: Knights: 180, Bishops: 140, Rooks: 80.

Frequently during the daytime, the bishops will have larger numbers.  Occasionally (not often), the rooks will have a large group at night.

HTC has given us a solution to this problem.  It's called the "change country" button.

Folks, the main arena is precisely as much fun as we make it - no more or less.

We need a medium size squad to move from the bishops to the rooks and a large squad to move from the knights to the rooks.  By medium squad, I mean a squad around 30 members; by large squad, I mean 40-60 members.  Yeah, yeah, I know about the 32 participant limit, but several squads have found ways around this.

If your squad fits this description and you're interested, contact me via e-mail (see my profile) and we'll try to coordinate something.

curly

Originally posted by Turbot
...Anyway you know what is goign to happen next - the knights will be outnumbered again (like last time we did this - search the history threads) and bishops will be as huge as ever.

Off course AK's were unable to stay rook for even 1 tour.   Never say I didn't tell you so.

And yes, JG2 - we we said we were going rook - and by golly - guess what?  We are still rook.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 01:35:59 AM »
You need a hobby, Turbot.  How about a flight sim?!  Anything to distract you from crying in text form on the BB.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 02:10:09 AM »
Abbeville's been Rook for this tour as well, discussing now if we're going to stay one more tour or not. For my part...I think it's fun, most of the time.

Who's this SOB guy?Never seen hime before  :confused: :eek:
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 03:35:50 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
You need a hobby, Turbot.  How about a flight sim?!  Anything to distract you from crying in text form on the BB.

SOB

Your point being?   It is so inconvenient when there is no orginal content, yes?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 04:39:05 AM »
Ya, I had to laugh at the AK's as well.  It's their $15.00/month per but their leader preached about switchin sides for balance and yet couldn't stay for one tour.  LOL!!! It was the token switch yet it was their squad leader who was preaching the loudest.  Curly is a nice guy, but this really is quite hypocritical of them to switch for such a short time.  What did he hope to accomplish?  Did he switch sides temporarily so others would "do the job for him" by switching permanently?  He would have better served rooks by not switching at all.  His squad coming to rooks at the start of the tour may have caused others to feel switching was not necessary do to the AK's balancing things out. Now, rooks have neither.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 05:05:30 AM »
laughing at AKs is quite fun!
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 11:26:06 AM »
The AK's did not switch back to bish until at least the third consecutive day of Rooks having much higher numbers than Bish.
 But since this is appaerently an attempt soley to flame the AKs & their desire to even the playing field. Im sure you want no part of the truth & how it came to be.
 Also I think it worth noting that the Knits RARELY have low numbers. & I dont see, or hear of many knit squads that seem bothered by it.
Anton

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2002, 12:15:31 PM »
With the coming of a side balancing mechanism in 1.11, why in the world does this dead horse continue to be beaten?

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2002, 12:22:53 PM »
I would guess the AK's had several pilots who objected to moving to Rooks,and their squad leader did what was best for the squad...
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2002, 12:54:11 PM »
I'd mentioned to Curly that he'd probably lose some players by going to rooks. When we came a couple camps ago, we lost a good 10+ players. It's a beating you have to take in order to try and help an out of control situation. I was tempted to go back to Knights when I saw that my squad was falling apart, but stuck it out realizing that giving in would be admitting that we just couldn't hack being outnumbered. As it turns out, we've picked up new members now, and I'm happy in the knowledge that the old squad members and the new recruits who stuck it out are truly the guys tough enough to make a go of something.

I had also mentioned the same to Urchin and Doody, and their squads showed they had a pair by staying. If both of their squads end up leaving next campaign I have to at least admit that they did do what they came to do, and attempted to balance the arena a bit.

I have nothing against Curly or the rest of the AK's (besides the Pizza Map), I was thrilled when I found they were coming to help. It just seems like a half hearted gesture in retrospect with the sole condition that they would help as long as we reset the Knights and not the Bish.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2002, 12:55:07 PM »
at the risk of being attacked by more than a few (but certainly one)..

Wahhhh!

sorry turbot:)

ammo, "your friendly nominated whine police"
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Wilfrid

• Copper Member
      • http://www.crytek.de
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2002, 12:56:03 PM »
Thursday night 8pm gmt

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2002, 01:43:40 PM »
No good deed goes unpunished.  Continue with the beating. :)

curly

Offline AKWarp

• Copper Member
      • http://10mbfree.com/edlance/
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2002, 02:30:38 PM »
My understanding of the AK's going to the rooks was it was to be a temporary situation, as per AKCurly.  The intent was to try to achieve a balance whereby game play would, once again, be challenging.  In no way that I am aware of did we ever say we were in it for the long haul or for an entire tour or any other specified length of time.

I believe we achieved our goals as is evident by recent numbers.  In addition, we did not anticipate the number of other squads that followed suit.  Regardless, even with our return to Bishops, the numbers have been more or less comptetive in recent days.  I certainly don't see that as anything to complain about.  Some folks really need to get over this staunch loyalty issue.  It's a game, people.  When certain issues arise that preclude fun, then we need to do what we can to get that fun factor back into it.  

We all know there are more than enough whiners and complainers in here....regardless of what anyone does, someone will complain loud and strong.  The way I see it, we, the AK's, agree with a lot of points many have made concerning certain issues.  We AK's, whether anyone likes or dislikes our solutions,  have at least gotten off our butts and made the effort to try and do something about it...what have you done to help out lately? (besides whine and moan).

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2002, 03:09:21 PM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
No good deed goes unpunished.  Continue with the beating. :)

curly

Hehe Curly.

Reason for a move were to balance sides, not to make rooks the biggest side on the map. Sides ballance was achived, and the thread Curly started was one of the main things which led to it. I think AK deserves thanks, not another loud mouths fest.

Fariz