Author Topic: First Person Shooter?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2002, 01:37:33 PM »
By the way, CompUSA has a box version of AA with maps, strategy guide, and such for $20.  I didn't buy it.  Gonna d/l the game first before I pump money into it.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2002, 02:57:04 PM »
Be sure and buy the Game of the Year edition of OFP -- that has everything up to v. 1.85.  THen download the patch to v. 1.90.

and I must comment on this:

The USMC decided it was good enough to buy it for actual combat training.

Well, BIS has licensed OFP to Coalescent technologies that as far as I can tell has made minor mods and is trying to acquire clients in the Marine Corps and elsewhere.  I haven't seen any evidence that anyone's actually using VBS1.

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2002, 03:49:22 PM »
Download the Rainbow Six: Raven Shield  demo. It's online play  only and has a few bugs but a patch will be out soon. It's very playable and damn fun as is though. Raven Shield is geared more toward the realism side then the Quake like play of some of the other games mentioned.

I agree though that OFP is a damn good game. I need to play it again soon.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2002, 05:44:19 PM »
Originally posted by Dinger
Be sure and buy the Game of the Year edition of OFP -- that has everything up to v. 1.85.  THen download the patch to v. 1.90.

and I must comment on this:

Well, BIS has licensed OFP to Coalescent technologies that as far as I can tell has made minor mods and is trying to acquire clients in the Marine Corps and elsewhere.  I haven't seen any evidence that anyone's actually using VBS1.

http://www.ctcorp.com/news09.html

Take a close look at this press release. Marines have been using it during development.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2002, 07:32:01 PM »
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2002, 07:41:04 PM »
Anyone know of a store within the U.S. that is selling

Operation Flashpoint Game of The Year edition?

Haven't found one yet.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2002, 12:30:09 AM »
Hey Sunking, I am waiting for it too... I am going to give it out as Xmas presents to all my friends that have been coming to play over at my house. I have 4 computers set up and we have a blast. Even my dad plays and has lots of fun.

We have lost many nights doing a really good multiplayer co-op mission called Somalia '93... which is of course based on Blackhawk Down complete with music excerpts from the soundtrack.

The pistol deathmatch called Flagfightguns that came with the 1.85 patch is an absolute blast too... especially with the AI guys turned off and only live players.

If someone doesn't turn out a Vietnam mission I like soon... I am going to have to learn how to script a good Aircav assault complete with slicks, a hot LZ, and a gunship or two.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2002, 12:48:38 AM »
I was reading there was paintball mode for Operation FlashPoint.. is that any good?

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2002, 02:12:07 AM »
I haven't played the paintball missions at all. Nor have I played the many team vs team missions. I have never bothered to play online other than to link my brother into my LAN games via modem. I usually only have one or two other people over at my house, so we just play co-op or deathmatch style.

The team style games work best with lots of players. Even some of the co-op games play best with large groups. My favorite Somalia mission is set up for 1 to 18 players.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2002, 02:41:41 AM »
Ghost Recon is great - get both expansions, or at least Island Thunder, and play co-op Defend mode with some friends.  Good stuff.

We played some War of Infamy this weekend.  It is pretty cool - really fun, but it crashes, and maps with tanks seem to have some serious issues.