Author Topic: Rudder Pedals to buy?  (Read 322 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« on: May 01, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
I have a twisty stick MS Sidewinder Pro that uses the USB port and I'm looking for some pedals (Rudder). Any sugestions...or can this even be done with the twisty?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
You shouldnt have any problems Batdog.  You can disable the "twist" rudder input in the joystick mapping screen.  Somebody with more experience can probably help you out a little more.  I know from my experience that I disabled the twist input and I use the keyboard for rudder.

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
CH pedals are the least expensive but they are almost side-by-side (this is very uncomfortable after awhile)....they track "tow down" (ie: henged at the heal like a gas pedal in a car)....would not recommend them for flying. (aprox $70 US) http://www.chproducts.com/

CH Pro pedals are about 6 inches apart, cost a bit more, have a tow brake (which very few games support).  I found myself standing on the outside edges of them (like the regular CH).....they track forward/aft (ie: they slide like real rudders).... somewhat better choice. (USB aprox $109 US, serial $99 US)) http://www.chproducts.com/

Thrustmaster Elites are about the same price as the CH.  They are big and heavier and the stance is about shoulder-width (more like what you would find in most ac).  They track fore/aft.  IMO, they are the best for the money if you spend alot of time flying. They are the most comfortable and feel pretty realistic. (aprox $79 US) http://us.thrustmaster.com/

There are others out there but these are the only pedals I have actually tested for long periods.

No matter what you chose, you should be able to run them with a USB stick.  If the pedals you choose are not USB, you can still use them with a USB stick via the the game port.

[This message has been edited by Thirdup (edited 05-01-2001).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
Im thanking his "Aces High Ladder Developing Tard 'O The Year Excellence Exile " that actually shipped me the full rudder travel/(plus) toe brake,  CH Products PRO Pedals for a even and way fair $50...that after wearing out testing in Aces High, just fukin rocked!

Girly guys still use AH gay "Combat Trim" and hoopty twisty rudder sticks and account for  89.75% of luftwhiners. rutabagas... Give the community a break you tards.

Men,. grab the CHProducts PRO Rudder pedals. They in fact not only make you super pilots that can laugh at rametzasts combat trim whines on realism, but you HAVE a advantage.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 05-01-2001).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
 CH ProPedals is THE ONLY choice. They are USB and everything else isn't.

They have toebrake controls and AH supports that feature.
 They are wide enough to feel comfortable but narrow enough to fit under most desks.

miko

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Thirdup:

Thrustmaster Elites are about the same price as the CH.  They are big and heavier and the stance is about shoulder-width (more like what you would find in most ac).  They track fore/aft.  IMO, they are the best for the money if you spend alot of time flying. They are the most comfortable and feel pretty realistic. (aprox $79 US) http://us.thrustmaster.com/

Got those and they are a jewel...and I got them in a quite weird way.   So, I will tell you the tale  

When I started flying AH, I had no rudder pedals, and I saw no need for ones until I saw Ripsnort being so amazed about it. I never thought they would make a difference, but as I was told that indeed they did, I started looking for ones.

Being quite short on cash I started looking for one set here in Bilbao (my city) to know how much should I save to buy them. I dont know in the USA, but here you dont find a damned pedals set in a store even if you look for it for 2 years   ...until I saw this wonderful set in a lost store I had never entered before (I never thought I would find them in that little computer store but was such my desperation that I thought that I had nothing to lose by trying there).

Well I enter into the shop and my attention gets IMMEDIATLY caught by a box with big letters: "THRUSTMASTER ELITE". The box was at the highest shelve of the entire store...I asked the dependant and he told me that that set was scheduled to be RETURNED in two days (!!!!) as it had been there collecting dirt for SIX MONTHS because noone wanted them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   .

Well indeed I wanted the friggin rudders, so I asked the man how much were they worth...he told me that about 12900 pesetas (some 75$), but that, as it was to be returned anyway he would let them by half the price, only 6500 pesetas. Was just just what I had at that time so I ran (Literally) at home to get the money, and back not without telling the dependant NOT to sell the rudders in the meantime (lol, six months hanging there,and imagine that just a fella gets the set while I am running for the money   ).

The set is a beauty. Yep it is a bit heavy and not exactly small...but it is really awesome,feels wonderful and allows for very good control.  

And, they were a bargain. 37$  

[This message has been edited by R4M (edited 05-01-2001).]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
keep in mind that your sidewinder is digital and many pedals wont work with a digital stick.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
I know quite a few people who have the Thrusmaster pedals and tho they love them, those rudders have also been a constant problem of sheared wires running into the computer.  I guess if a wire gets caught between the base and the rudder, constant use of the pedals can cause the insulation of the wiring to shear away.  Knew quite a few people with electrical tape connecting wires that had shorn away  

I am a CH man myself....regular CH Pedals (No they arent too uncomfortable as long as I shove them WAY back) and a CH Pro programmable throttle and flightstick....readily kicks bellybutton and is easily able to be programmed.  Best thing is that I bought the pedals and throttle in 1997.  Same ones I still have today.  In my opinion, CH equipment is bar none the best in the business.

-Ding

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
Rudder Pedals to buy?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »

Originally posted by miko2d:
CH ProPedals is THE ONLY choice. They are USB and everything else isn't.
 They have toebrake controls and AH supports that feature.
 They are wide enough to feel comfortable but narrow enough to fit under most desks.

I agree, I'm using em, plus I'm using the USB Saitek X36 for it's throttle, and the MS FF for a stick (gameport plug)

AH sees 'em all and allows me to assign which axis to use with which controller.

Gotta love the toe brakes cuz' they allow ya to stop on a dime too.

Really lookin' forward to Force Feedback support in 1.07 so's I can feel the onset of compression.

------------------
"ASSASSINS have BIGGER Joysticks!"

<< MILENKO >>
ACES HIGH ASSASSINS Website
WB/AH ASSASSINS Website