Author Topic: HiTech, can you ...  (Read 1228 times)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
HiTech, can you ...
« on: December 16, 2002, 09:16:26 PM »
Trap DirectX, arithmetic or memory exceptions (perhaps with try and catchs or some hooks) and log them in a file or some messagebox, or even use an AtExit() function to keep track of the last routine executed before a crash.

I'm still having CTDs, with AH closing without any warning or error message, just suddenly back to desktop.

BTW, sound acceleration to 3/4 and squad icon folder emptied twice.

Offline Mw007

• Zinc Member
      • http://most-wanted.org
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 09:46:36 PM »
manoble....

check the intake manifold...if that doesnt work, check hte catalytic converter :D

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 09:47:35 PM »
...could also be the 7th Fetzer valve... not like the old days, y'know...it's all ball bearings these days.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 09:49:40 PM »
Mandoble,

Were you having these problems PRIOR to the update?

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 10:07:02 PM »
Originally posted by guttboy
Mandoble,

Were you having these problems PRIOR to the update?

Yes, noticed that problem since the previous set of patches.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 10:15:17 PM »
The other thing you might check is under the Tech area Skuzzy put out some tips on disabling some stuff running in background...you might want to try that as well.

One other note...a guy in our squadron had similar problems and it turned out that it was his sound card causing the problems.  He replaced it and the problems stopped.

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 11:21:10 PM »
I had several CTDs after applying the new version.  I powered my system down and back up and that fixed it.  A couple of squaddies and an individual I was helping in the TA had similar experiences.  If you're hooked to cable or dsl and leave your machine up all the time, you might want to take it all the way down and back up.

Hammer

Offline DrDea/Kvorkian

• Copper Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 11:24:47 PM »
Sounds like a framus pivot malfunction

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 11:27:57 PM »
Mand,

I put in a new mobo with AC97 onboard sound and started getting random CTD right away. Had clicks and pops in the sound and every once in a while the engine would roll back and then pick right up again.

Put my old SB Live 5.1 back in and disabled onboard sound and not a problem since.

I know you don't have onboard sound but after my experience I'm thinking these CTDs are sound-related. Do you have another different card you could try?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline rogue72

• Zinc Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 11:30:54 PM »
im having the same problem,,returning to desktop for no apparent reason.rebooted, repowered,it still dont work

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 03:45:30 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I know you don't have onboard sound but after my experience I'm thinking these CTDs are sound-related. Do you have another different card you could try?

I had a Sb Audigy plus the onboard sound (CMI8738 - C-Media 6ch) disabled. Past week I unplug the Audigy and enabled the C-Media. Well, prior to that, I had the CTDs with no error but, sometimes, AH simply gets hung. Without the Audigy, no more "freezes" but still CTDs.

Prior to the previous patch to 1.11 I had the Audigy with full accel and never had a CTD nor freeze.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 04:25:00 AM »
mandoble delete the ah squad folder.

it could have a corrupt bmp in it causing the chaos.

i did and i have not had 1 ctd in flight since.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 04:38:09 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
Trap DirectX, arithmetic or memory exceptions (perhaps with try and catchs or some hooks) and log them in a file or some messagebox, or even use an AtExit() function to keep track of the last routine executed before a crash.

I'm still having CTDs, with AH closing without any warning or error message, just suddenly back to desktop.

BTW, sound acceleration to 3/4 and squad icon folder emptied twice.

My unix period is over but if I remember right atexit() (not AtExit btw ;)) is not called when there is an exception ...

I don't want AH to fill my HD with core dump :p
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 04:41:40 AM by straffo »

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2002, 04:50:09 AM »
As far as I remember atexit registers a function that is going to be called before program exits by any circumstance, that function may print a single global variable updated with a number representative of the last routine called, or a variable with the last error found or whatever, that and the hooks and try-catchs, whatever to have an idea of where the problem is.

Cit, I deleted that folder twice last month, and no better results, BTW, thanks for the advice.

In any case, the behaviour is interesting, I start the computer and AH, sooner or later a CTD. If I continue launching AH, sooner or later CTD again most of the times, but with a soft reset after the first CTD, the result is no more CTDs in a long period. It seems to me like some unitialized pointer or variable being used by AH, any driver or even DX8.1. If you are lucky, that variable may starts with 0, else with any random content, perhaps a very high value, who knows ...

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
HiTech, can you ...
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2002, 04:55:35 AM »
I don't atexit can work ,when there is an exception the OS error handler take control over the application so how can it call a function ?

btw your trouble can be hardware/software related  

Let try kill that CTD ;)

What configuration do you have with wich driver version ?