Author Topic: Tiger  (Read 694 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Tiger
« on: December 17, 2002, 02:36:16 AM »
I know there are going to be whines about the Tiger being overmodeled, but I like it. Gonna have to defend with tanks to stop them instead of dropping a few bombs. Looks like the vehicle hanger becomes even more important eh? WW2online guys should be coming aboard now;)
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
Tiger
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 02:38:38 AM »
Won't any bombs won't take them out? How about Il-2 rockets? Or a pair of Tiffie 1000 lbers?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Tiger
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 02:40:49 AM »
I think direct hits are needed, it's pretty tough. Not sure what it takes exactly to bring it down.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Tiger
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 02:44:28 AM »
3 direct Tiger hits did the job. Lost 50 perkies yesterday to killshooter playing with one squaddie... :D

Cheers,

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Tiger
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 08:40:44 AM »
They laugh at Ostwind ammo - I was able to sneak up almost point blank on one with help of terrain.   Peek over hill and started blasting his forward 1/4 - nuthing :)  I had missed this in Pyro's post:

The 37mm of the Ostwind is now strictly HE with no AP component.

But I soon realised I better hit somethign good or I was soon toast - with about 5 hits I was able to get a track, then I ran away and counted myself lucky :)

The Ostwind seems much more effective now against airplanes?  I was murdering airplanes.

Also all vehicles seem climb hills MUCH MUCH better now, and the m3 seems a bit faster.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 08:43:03 AM by Turbot »

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Tiger
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 08:53:16 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
Won't any bombs won't take them out? How about Il-2 rockets? Or a pair of Tiffie 1000 lbers?

I took on 2 JU87s an IL2 and a formation of LANCs last night....

None of them could damage my Tiger. I think I avoided any direct bomb hits, but there were MANY close explosions from the IL2s rockets and the LANC formation droped a full salvo of 1K bombs all around me.

I was lucky to avoid the 1800KG of the JU87. He dropped it too low and it didn't fuse.

This was a sortie that where I was alone attacking A24. At the end of the sortie, I had scored 3 kills, leveled the town and 'landed succesfully' at the map room.

The next sortie, me and a squadmate (sofaking) came back in an M3 and M16 to make the capture. This in itself was funny, because by the time we took 24, every surrounding field was captured by the knights.

---

So far, the only thing I found that could kill the Tiger.

A SINGLE TOUCH OF A PALM LEAF !!!

No offense HTC, but how about giving the Tiger the ability to drive over the stupid palm trees.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Tiger
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 09:21:55 AM »
Almost all I did yesterday was play in ground vehicles, I never drove so much.  People are actually going out and doing long distance persistent attacks.   Actual battlefields between the bases are beginning to form rather than simple spawn point camping.  I hope it continues.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Tiger
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 10:59:36 AM »
One 500 pound bomb killed my Tiger.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Tiger
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 11:39:42 AM »
In real life, a 500 lb. GP bomb scoring a direct hit on the top or rear of a Pz VIE will probably 'catastrophically' kill it (as in vehicle explodes, or catches fire, and multiple crew members KIA).

If the same bomb hits 10' from a Pz VIE - probably a lost track.

If the same bomb hits the frontal armor of a Pz VIE - probably a mission kill due to gunsight and maybe MA being damaged. Maybe 1 or 2 crew casualties from spalling.

LW determined that a 250 kg GP bomb needed to impact a T-34 for an assured kill. This is why they tried big cannons for anti-armor work, and then said screw attacking MBTs entirely and started targeting the supply vehicle of armored spearheads.

Asking an attack pilot to put a bomb on a 2 x 2 meter target (i.e. direct hit on a T-34, from above and behind if at all possible) wasn't deemed feasible for your average LW attack pilot (read: SG pilot, and the top 10% of all fighter school graduates were sent for attack training and posting to SG).

Rockets, unless packing a HEAT warhead (and I think only the LW used such rockets during WW2) would have an especially tough time with a Pz VIE - moreso than with a Pz V. The Pz VIE is very resistant to 'big' HE attacks, partly due to it's 'older' design. It got its protection from having very thick and very well made armor plate (unlike the Pz V, which had thinner plate in some places but with better armor sloping overall).

Against 'big' HE attacks (artillery shells, artillery rockets, aircraft bombs, big HE shells from assault guns, etc.) nothing beats having very thick armor plate regardless of slope. HE attacks vs. plate cause spalling but don't do much else unless the explosion is big enough to cause the plate to fail completely. This is why Pz VIEs were generally a little more resistant to artillery fire than the more modern Pz V, even though the Pz V was more resistant to AP and HEAT rounds (much better sloping on the armor of the Pz V).

In short - put a big (500 lb. or larger) bomb directly on the top or rear (side isn't a guarntee) of the Pz VIE, or put a similar bomb very near the tracks for a mission (mobility) kill. 3.7cm  cannon fired from aircraft won't have that good a chance of scoring a penetration either, even vs. the rear armor. 37L53 AP of M8 probably has a ~35-40% chance of a penetration vs. rear armor at under 150 meters range.

Pz VIE can kill another Pz VIE fairly often via frontal penetration at 800 meters or less (1100 meters vs. frontal hull).

In short - strongest armor on a Pz VIE is frontal turret, followed by frontal hull, followed by side (turret and hull basically equal), follwed by rear, followed by top.

If you get a chance to look at some penetration performance charts, Pz VIE carries 88L56. Pz IVH carried 75L48. M8 carries 37L53. Remember that guns ~5cm and under in bore size penetrate better under 300 meters or so than most 'curves' show, but lose penetration rapidly at over 700 meters or so (bigger shells keep velocity better, etc.).

Mike/wulfie

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Tiger
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2002, 11:42:12 AM »
So only trees kill Tigers?

Cool...loading my Lancs up with Christmas trees now, BEWARE! :D

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
Tiger
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 12:02:35 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
So only trees kill Tigers?

Cool...loading my Lancs up with Christmas trees now, BEWARE! :D

Should be modelled for the day after Christmas!

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Tiger
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 12:11:37 PM »
Killed one it with 2 hits 88mm AP from my tiger, frontal aspect shots at 2400 range.

Then again had one eat my entire capacity of 40mm Bofors on the Hurri IId. bout 75% of them hit at max 400 range. No visable damage.

Gatso

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Tiger
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 01:03:09 PM »
I dropped two 1K eggs on one last night.......he drove on out of the crater without a sign of any damage.
I looped over to make a rocket run on him, now he was smoking, but 100 yards from where I bombed him.
I especially like the way the GV's climb hills now........went "over the top" at A5 to defend against a possible GV attack (like moths to a flame, they ALWAYS spawn from V64 to A5) and the Tiger never slowed to under 15mph, most of the time I was hitting 20+ even on the inclines.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Tiger
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2002, 01:24:28 PM »
....ah, crater damage would be nice...drive through a 1,000 pound hole untarnished?  I think not.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Tiger
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2002, 02:39:24 PM »
Why didn't you try to ricochet some .50 cals off the ground ;)