Author Topic: Future GVs in Aces High?  (Read 366 times)

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« on: December 18, 2002, 06:54:25 AM »
With the alterations for the new GVs, I'm thinking I might start driving cars more often.  Hopefully we can really beef up a ground war (and get a couple air operations supporting ground offensives instead of going the other way around).

I can't say I know much about the specific weapons used on the ground during WWII, but it seems that some kind of mobile artillery would be the next key step in really firing up the ground war.

Can anybody suggest any really good GVs that HTC might develop in the near future?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 06:59:36 AM »
The "priest" self propelled 105mm howitzer maybe? A US track. Or perhaps the Sturmgeschutz self propelled assault gun?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 07:12:43 AM »
I'd love to see a large veriety of tanks added.  We could really use some russian tanks, and couple versions of the Sherman.  Since there's no infantry, there's no point in putting in any infantry tanks, but a tank destroyer or two would fit in.

Sure, sombody might say that we already have a medium tank and a heavy tank, but but if that's reason enough not to get them, then there would be no reason to have more than one light fighter in the game either.

More gvs plz!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 08:30:06 AM »
Heres a 70 post thread of suggestions in Aircraft and Vehicles forum.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26652&referrerid=3203

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 08:51:24 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
The "priest" self propelled 105mm howitzer maybe? A US track. Or perhaps the Sturmgeschutz self propelled assault gun?

The M7 Priest, the M4 Sherman w/ rocketlauncher, and a German half-track equivalent to the M16 would be my choices.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 08:52:56 AM »
Hard not to pick either Sherman or the Russian tank (T-34 was it?)  And yeah I am enjoying the ground game a heck of a lot more.   I had canceled my account to take a break for a while due to burnout.   Came back for the 1.11 - gonna renew now.  It's a whole new game for me.

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 09:08:52 AM »
The best all round tank of WW2 should be in there - the T-34.

Along with the Sherman.

I'd like to see Katushya rocket launchers aswell.

But we soooo need the Tu-2 and Pe-2 first. :D

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 09:11:08 AM »
Don't get your hopes up too high.

From previous posts by the staff I wouldn't expect to see much in the way of a ground war or many new vehicles soon. This was big on the discussion boards about 1 to 2 years ago, but it's obvious now that Aces High will remain primarily a flight sim.

The ground war used to be a blast, but back then we had different maps with ground bases able to launch large vehicle attacks.

What we really need now is a set of ground launching points all over the front to allow for a rolling front line. Other than field defenses, only the front line launching points would be active, and the enemy could only capture a launching point that was directly adjacent to one of their active launching points. This would prevent the old grab a base way in the rear and start launching vehicles towards the enemy city etc. Obviously a totally unrealistic scenario due to a lack of supply lines.

With such a set up the front line would have to be linked by a supply line, or line of friendly bases, which would allow penetrations into enemy territory. The air war would then support the ground war as it did in real life. Something along the lines of the WWII Online sim, but without that major emphasis on ground graphics etc.

What we have now is an endless capture the field flag, and that is not how the war was fought. The air war was both tactical and strategic. Strategic took car of the big city and industrial complex targets, and tactical supported the front lines. The tactical air war here now is nothing more than taking out the ack or buildings at a target base.

Enough rambling, the point is that you shouldn't get your hopes up on Aces High changing into a great ground war sim too soon.

Ranger Bob

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2002, 09:13:50 AM »
Dunno about a GV, but how about giving our lil troopers a side arm or a bazooka?  Our face less warriors could moonwalk across the terrain, stirring hell with the current fleet of GVs  :)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
From HiTech interview at Con '02
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 10:08:26 AM »
Don't loose hope, Preon1...it's in the works:D.
_____________________________ ____________
Exerpt from my interview with HiTech at AH Con '02, published in "The Wargamer."

SABRE: Very cool. How about ground combat?  Again, last year we talked a little bit about the idea of a first-person shooter added to the main arena base capture routine.  Any more progress on that idea, and what other changes might we see to the ground war?

HITECH: The basic plan on the first-person shooter is still the same as it was at this time last year.  It got pushed back by one or two versions.  That literally was our next piece to develop after the A/I bombing; we were going to be right on to first-person shooter.  Now we’ve put the mission theater stuff in between that, so it’ll be one or two versions dedicated to the mission theater and then we’ll move on to the first-person shooter.

SABRE: So the idea is still that it will be part of the base capture mechanism, a bunker battle of some sort?

HITECH: Yeah, that idea is exactly the same.  That’s where we’re planning on going with it.

SABRE: How about other enhancements to the ground vehicle war?

HITECH: Enhancements in what way?  Like, more ground vehicles?

SABRE: Both more ground vehicles and the ever requested perked ground vehicle.  Also, any other things like cover and concealment, or other effects to make ground warfare more interesting and varied?

HITECH: For cover and concealment, I’d sort of want to go with…one of the things we’ve added in the last patch is two new object types.  One’s called a “barrier” and the other is called simply a “structure.”  Their properties are, a barrier can’t be destroyed.  So we can put stuff into the terrain just for ground-to-ground concealment.  Objects you can’t blow up or destroy to get rid of the other guy’s cover.  It’s a true barrier.

SABRE: Would that be like a tree line or a hedgerow?

HITECH: Yeah, exactly.  It could be a tree line, a hedgerow, or even just a small sand dune.  It could be just a little hull-down bunker that we stick into the terrain.  Either way, you can’t destroy it; you can’t get any points for it…that type of thing.  The other new type, the “structure” type object, is meant for items like bridges.  Its key aspect is both sides can destroy it.  Right now, you can’t kill your own structures.

SABRE: Right.

HITECH: Well, if you have a bridge, some times you want to go blow up your own bridge so the enemy can’t attack you over it.  So that’s what the “structure’s” purpose is.  There’s really no strategic effect [of the structure itself], but it’s meant for bridges and other items that both sides can blow up.  For instance, maybe you want to go blow the building up in this town…you don’t want points for it, but you want to remove it so you can go shoot the other guy, or drive through it.  That’s where that’s headed.

The cover stuff [i.e. cover of ground vehicles from aircraft overhead]…I sort of like how IL-2 did their tree-type cover.

SABRE: The hovering layer up above the ground?

HITECH: Right.  Right.  I want to work along those lines, see what I can do to come up with cover for the vehicles from [aerial] observation.  Something needs to be done there.  I just haven’t had the time to work out the exact details yet, but it’ll come.

SABRE: Anything like roving armies or artillery?

HITECH: Player-controlled roving artillery you mean?

SABRE: Yes.

HITECH: Yeah, Doug…I forget the name of the vehicle…it’s a towed artillery unit that he really wants to go do.  It can compliment the bombers hitting the big cities.  It will be a great unit for setting up artillery barrages against the town buildings.  That sort of thing.

SABRE: Okay…

HITECH: And on the perk side…you asked me about perked vehicles.  It’ll either go one of several ways, and I haven’t talked to Doug to find out which one he’s going to go do.  We’ll probably be bringing out either the Tiger** [tank], the T-34, or the Sherman.  If we bring the Sherman out, the odds are we’ll perk the [Ostwind mobile anti-aircraft tank, already modeled in the game] and the [Panzer IV H].

**Subsequent to this interview, Art Director, Nathan "Natedog" Mathieu, confirmed that the new armored vehicle in development was in fact the German Tiger tank.  “My, Grandmother…what a big cannon you’ve got!”
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 11:19:21 AM »
Add the Willies Jeep to AH!!!!!!!!

Gerneral Patton and Winston Churchill both named it as one of factors that one the war.

Offline DVader

• Zinc Member
Future GVs in Aces High?
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2002, 12:12:01 PM »
How about the SdKfz-7/1. It was a German half track with the FlaKvier 38 (quad 20mm) mounted in the back. Sorta like an M16 with more punch. Dont think it was quite as fast as the M16 but the pictures Ive seen of it showed some light armor plate around the cab .