Author Topic: Flaps, and control surfaces  (Read 464 times)

Offline TWOLF

• Copper Member
Flaps, and control surfaces
« on: December 30, 2002, 07:29:57 AM »
I am not a flyer in the real world so I am a bit ignorant on the subject.  But I noticed that flaps will go from a set position to fully retracted while manuvering.  Also, on every plane I have flown in the game so far they will not extend above 200 actual.  Is this a flaw?  Or could it be due to auto trim?  The whole point of getting dirty is to stay slow for manuvering.  This used to be a big part of flying the P38, and A26 in Airwarrior but if the flaps retract automaticly it makes it hard to maintain a low speed fight.   Other then this, I love the 38 model.  This is the first game that I have played that seems to have solved the PJ's climb and looping ability.  Now if the flight surface issue (if one exists) could be solved then I will be in heaven.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 08:18:39 AM »
Some warbirds did have auto-retracting flaps in real life and some didn't, like the P-38.

While it is a pet peeve of mine that the flaps auto-retract in the P-38 and when I first started, was the cause of many spin related deaths, I've learned to compensate with better throttle control.  You can use your throttle to control the speed of your P-38L (it's not a PJ, that's something you sleep in) and control the auto-retracting of the flaps.  

I also agree with you about the P-38L in AH being a lot better than the P-38J we had in AW.  I laugh at those that whine about how P-38 in AH sucks compared to the P-38 from AW, but those are the kind of guys that never really knew how to fly the P-38 in AW to begin with and you'll see them trying to out flat turn a Spitfire on the deck in AH like how you could with the AW P-38.  Most of those guys now fly N1K2 and La7s.

Ack-Ack

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 08:23:51 AM »
in my pj, fly i will; shot you down, buttflap kill!!

ehehehe, real men type their macros out after each kill!!!

109's have the same "issue" - it's all about throttle control making more effective use of flaps.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline ATC

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 12:12:03 PM »
auto retraction of flaps is BS.  If you exceed the max speed for flaps they should get damaged like the gear does it you exceed it's limit.

Remove the flap auto-retraction i say!!

ATC

Offline WineMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 12:32:54 PM »
I.M.H.O. - The auto-retract feature is just a way to save you from destroying your flaps.  Flaps aren't designed keep your speed low, but rather to give you more lift when you happen to be going slow.  So if you want to use them to turn fight better, you need to make sure you don't overspeed.

I agree with ATC though - if a plane didn't have auto-retract, then we shouldn't have that option either, and let them get torn off when you overspeed them.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 12:45:38 PM »
the PJ's climb and looping ability

Nope...  No "J" model P38s here in AH.     Its a P-38 "L"

Just to let you know,  It will get a few people riled up if you talk about flying in your pajamas  ;)

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 12:50:20 PM »
I agree with ATC though - if a plane didn't have auto-retract, then we shouldn't have that option either, and let them get torn off when you overspeed them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

See that's a problem right there, they won't get torn off at first they'll just jam and if you don't have the alt you're gonna have a helluva time trying to get them to shear off.

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 01:30:42 PM »
Originally posted by Kaz
See that's a problem right there, they won't get torn off at first they'll just jam and if you don't have the alt you're gonna have a helluva time trying to get them to shear off.

And the problem with that is?  Like CT, if you want to use it is there.  Autoflaps should be the same, if you want, use it, if not, lets get our flaps jammed at our discretion.

Offline WineMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 03:28:42 PM »
Originally posted by Kaz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

tear off, jam, whatever - I should have used the word "damaged":)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 03:54:02 PM »
Originally posted by ATC
auto retraction of flaps is BS.  If you exceed the max speed for flaps they should get damaged like the gear does it you exceed it's limit.

Remove the flap auto-retraction i say!!

ATC

I don't think we'll ever see auto-retraction go.  Didn't HiTech say on another post that this would increase the 'nuisance' realism factor?

ack-ack

Offline TWOLF

• Copper Member
Thanks for the input
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2002, 12:07:36 AM »
Thanks for the positive posts gents.  Sorry about the PJ thing,  Bad habbit from AW as those players know that we flew P38J's there.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2002, 12:37:43 AM »
Just a thought...... wouldn't using the P-38J's dive brakes [shift-C] have roughly the effect you are after? ie, keep her slow?.
Or do they keep you TOO slow?
I hardly ever fly the thing, so i dont really know.

Blue

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2002, 06:15:02 AM »
Originally posted by Bluedog
Just a thought...... wouldn't using the P-38J's dive brakes [shift-C] have roughly the effect you are after? ie, keep her slow?.
Or do they keep you TOO slow?
I hardly ever fly the thing, so i dont really know.

Blue

Those aren't dive brakes but rather dive flaps that help you pull out of a high speed dive by giving the P-38 a few degrees (3-4 degrees I think) nose up lift.

Some say the dive flaps doesn't work in the P-38L but from what I've experienced in flying it in AH and tests I've done offline, it does give you a slight nose up lift and helps in pulling out of a high speed dive.  Dive flaps do not work very well if you have combat trim enabled or if your plane isn't properly trimmed for the dive.  Combat trim seems to counter-act the positive lift from the dive flaps, as does an improperly trimmed plane.

Ack-Ack

Offline Zuny

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2002, 07:03:26 AM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Just to let you know,  It will get a few people riled up if you talk about flying in your pajamas  ;)

I fly in my underwear.

Zuny