Author Topic: Buff Formations Too Tight  (Read 355 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Buff Formations Too Tight
« on: January 06, 2003, 01:32:36 PM »
I've read that in a "tight" bomber formation the buffs were spaced about 60 yards apart.  Next time you fly a formation of B-17s, go to the outside view and look down from the top (hit f4, then f5, then f8 and use keypad keys to move around).

The wingspan of those 17s is 105 feet or 35 yards.  As you can clearly see, the current spacing is very, very tight.  Too tight, for several reasons:  it allows attacking fighters to take out two buffs in one pass far too easily and it is less effective when bombing targets like cities and factories.  (It is more effective if you're trying to hit a single target like a hanger, though.)

In the next version of AH, I'd like to be able to choose the distance the buffs fly from the lead plane.  Just a command like ".formation 100" would put them 100 yards from you.  You could order them nearer or farther away as the tactical situation changed.  Don't know what the far limit should be.  Maybe 200 yards?  400?

What you all think?

MRPLUTO  VMF-323  ~Death Rattlers~  MAG-33

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 01:36:28 PM »
I've been thinking the same thing, Pluto.

Spacing for large scale saturation bombing would be nice.

I'm seeing less and less buff these days, though.

*shrugs*

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 01:38:48 PM »
A good idea to be able to spread your drones

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 01:45:56 PM »
Outstanding idea one of the best I have seen posted. HT are you listening.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 01:46:19 PM »
Drones seem to blow up unless you carefully monitor them during changes in course and altitude.  You've got to allow them the chance to "catch up" or they just explode.

If they were a bit further apart would this solve this problem?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 01:59:18 PM »
cant count the number of times Ive takin out 2 buffs in 1 pass. The correct merge offers a sweet shot on 1 drone & lead buff. Anything overshooting drone hits the lead. I have also crashed into several.... greed kills.

I do agree, the option is a good idea. I also wonder about buff realism. Was it REALLY that hard to hit targets? I know the calibration procedure yet still cant hit any small targets. I can hit HQ, or towns. But I cant seem to nail a VH, or fuel cells. Also were Buff guns so lethal? If i dont have Tons of Alt & E on a buff I
ignore it completely.
Anton

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 04:59:07 PM »
Rip,

Great minds think alike, what else can I say? :D

Curval,

I don't have a problem with losing drones, but I fly buffs very gently, like my grandma was on board.

anton,

Buff guns were very lethal, but in AH they are a bit more accurate than in real life because they don't jump around as much when you fire.  But dead six attacks were usually suicidal.  You are wise to be careful.

Also, it's hard to hit small ground targets.  Don't feel bad.  Best way to assure a hit is to salvo 3 with a delay of 0.6 or 0.7 and drop across the small target.  Chances are you'll be okay left/right, but much more likely to be long or short.  Remember, if you adjust your heading (even a little bit) after you calibrate, and you don't have time to recalibrate, just drop late to compensate for your slightly slower speed.

MRPLUTO  VMF-323  ~Death Rattlers~  MAG-33