Author Topic: Anti-Fragging Problem  (Read 988 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« on: January 07, 2003, 02:29:35 PM »
I don't want to be a ranter but I do have an issue with the Anti-fragging measures. Specifically in regard to a special situation. The other night I shot myself down repeatedly because of hitting a friendly. While this is incredibly unrealistic, I do see the need for adding some disinsentive to saturation spraying.

My problem occurred in an unusual way though, and one which I don't think the anti-fragging code does justice. Me and another were on the same bandit but we were occupying the same physical space. By that I mean we were exactly on top of one another 300 yards off the bandit's six. Well, I looked at every view , saw nothing, because he was right on top of me. So I fired...you can guess the rest..

My point is, if we are to be punished for hitting a friendly aircraft it is unfair to punish us for hitting an aircraft we cannot see with the tools the game provides. A reasonable way to fix this would be to program a minimum distance that the anti-fragging self-hit occurs, say 100 yards. If the friendly is below 100 yards just have him absord the rounds with some kind of text message or ambient sound that would indicate you are hitting a friendly. To shoot yourself down because you hit a friendly occupying your same physical space (very unrealistic situation) is kind of absurd. I am not a programmer but, this seems like it would be easy to fix and would lower the frustration level of the game for everyone who finds themselves in this similiarly unique situation.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 02:39:33 PM »
Killshooter is designed to prevent you (or anyone else from your team for that matter) from intentionally killing another teamate.

Unfortunately, there are situations like yours described that cannot be avoided.  Just look at it like sacrificing your own little bit of fun for the greater service to the game.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 02:45:13 PM »
This has been debated frequently.  I am of the opinion that both friendly collisions and killshooter should be turned off in the main arena, just as it is in some scenarios and TODs.  On the other side of the fence are those who claim that those measures are necessary to ward off such things as the frustrated dweeb who decides to continually shoot down his countrymates, or other such behavior.

One thing I find rather amazing about your description of the problem is that you *repeatedly* were in a position that you were occupying the exact same space as another friendly aircraft ~300 yards on a bogey's six.  In the year and a half I've been playing this game, I can count on less than 5 fingers the number of times I've died to kill shooter, and even fewer fingers are needed to count the number of times the situation you describe has happened to me.

In any case, that other friendly didn't just "appear" out of thin air and occupy the same space as you.  Both of you had to manouver into position to get behind that bogey, and I find it hard, actually I find it impossible, to believe that you both followed the exact same line to target on multiple occasions, such that you could not be aware of his presence.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 02:55:40 PM »
I must agree..K/S and Crashing off would be a much needed blessing.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 02:59:39 PM »
I've died once to killshooter in the last 12 months. That was from a guy crossing at 90 degrees to me and my targets path at high speed.

If you were "on top of each other" then you would have heard your buddies engines. Hearing engines on top of you is a good sign you should a) check for a bandit   b) check for a buddy for KS fire.

KS is good. Without you get annoying newbies pinging your plane non-stop (even if it does no damage).

Work up your SA, doesn't take long to sort it out.

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 03:22:23 PM »
If you shut off the killshooter,,,

I will have to kill Rude.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2003, 03:28:33 PM »
Oh boy think of all the crying and ranting if killshooter wasn't  enabled along with the current contest.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2003, 03:31:11 PM »
I have gotten maybe KS'd twice since I started, as I learned that there are peeps who no matter what, want the kill, and don't care if you are saddled up already. If i see tracers or hear engines, I look around to see if I'm dead meat or if a friendly and pull away if a friendly, it just ain't all that important to act like a dog at the kennel trough. If more peeps did that, there would be less complaining, and if more peeps would pay attention to what their countryman are doing, there would be less beeching.
Unless of course if Silat is other pilot, I enjoy and he appreciates it if you steal his kills :) Spread the word!!  :)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2003, 04:13:23 PM »
Quick solution:

Enabled friendly collisions. Then you wouln't have killshot yourself but crashed :)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2003, 05:11:26 PM »
I shot myself down repeatedly, mainly because there were too many damn rooks on heh. The overlapping plane death only happened once. Although it has happened to me before. I like to try to fly to live, I try to keep mistakes to a minimum, this particular aspect of the game, although rare is really annoying...

Zazen

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2003, 05:14:46 PM »
Also, keep in mind, there are other ways of preventing fragging other than making the person shooting take damage. Just make the rounds get eaten into the twilight zone like they did in AW. If someone is in the way yer just wasting ammo. Taking damage because you are inadvertantly hitting a freindly aircraft is very unrealistic. AH is proud of it's realism factor, kind of suprises me this anti-fragging self kill codeis even in the game.

Zazen

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2003, 05:17:23 PM »
In reply to Vulcan, yea, I listen for engines, but I was 300 yards or less from the enemy in a protracted turnfight. At that distance another engine noise around me is indistinguishable.

Zazen

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2003, 05:22:44 PM »
In time, you will learn Grasshopper.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2003, 05:34:47 PM »
Oh yeah this is good. Turn killshooter off so we can all kill each other before a kill gets stolen. In AW DOS we had the problem of a defector moving to a field under attack upping in an a26 and sitting off the skirt to kill the first 80 guys trying to defend it. How would you like that? Friendly midairs? Thank god ht put some thought into this one. The only way to safely launch from a field would be slotted departures and I dont think the dweebs would ever figure it out and you would still get killed. Bad idea. Twilight zone bullets?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 05:38:14 PM by GPreddy »

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Anti-Fragging Problem
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2003, 05:47:06 PM »
I think the idea was if killshooter is OFF then your bullets are just disappearing when they hit friendlies.
with no damage occuring to anyone, but, you'd lose your bullets.

Not meaning that with killshooter OFF you can now shoot friendlies down. (we all know what happens when you can shoot friendlies down.)
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.