Author Topic: Base capture in BOB needs to go  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
Base capture in BOB needs to go
« on: January 19, 2003, 12:15:57 PM »
Absolutely worthless.  

I know, here is a great scenario I want to fly in!  LEts pretend the germans snuck into london at 4am this morning and have control of most of southern england!!!!  THat will be great fun.  Then we can spend the morning trying to get them out of england.

I fly the ct to do historical matchups in quasi historical situations.  This, is just not fun.  Then of course, england has the wonderful use of a boston for bombing.  Nothing else.   While the gerries have unlimited planes and tanks in england.  no.

There is no reason to have base capture on this map.  It wasnt even designed for it.  Just roll back rebuild times to 1 hour.  And no base capture.

Now if this were italy or north africa, that would be something else, but Fricking hitler never even sent troops across the channel in 1940, much less enough paratroopers (10) to take london.

For those lwabbles we were fighting this morning, no offense to you, I would love to pad my score with bostons and m8s too.  I just dont like wearing that underwear.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 01:27:17 PM »
Have to agree with you on this one. I suppose I envisioned alot of air-air action in a BOB setup, but so far it's a real estate game with guns.

My vote: let's turn it off.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 04:59:10 PM »
Yes I would agree that a bob with out field capture would be better.

Increasing the down time for hangers and field structures can accomplish the same thing as field capture in that it forces you to defend your field or else get pushed back for longer flight times.

Originally the ct had no field capture component but when the CT was restructured and given off to cms instead of pyro running it one of the things the gen population called for was field capture. It was believed that it would lead to increased numbers. It never did.

While we have seen ct numbers increase that increase is no greater then the increase in the main since the ct began.

Now theres some setups where field capture can enhance gameplay but imho it should remain secondary to "combat".

Its not called the "field capture" theater. But anything that highlights "Combat" in the Combat Theater is a good thing.

In a set up like BoB field capture should be re examined. If its shown that it leads to more fighting then great. If it leads to milkrunning and back door sneak grabs at undefended fields then it hurts gameplay.

My 2 cents.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 05:19:25 PM »
Didnt they used to restrict troops carrying  to french bases to lesson the chance of germany taking england?

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more you should turn it off.  

We even had spawn camping  in the CT this morning.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 07:35:22 PM »
I've been playing the CT since it began.  Base capture gives EVERYONE objectives.

Sure, if you're there just for dogfighting, then base capture is not your cup of tea. But it does open up the ground vehicles fights. Balanced in that area.

I think it gives for everyone. You can still find a good dogfight. Let the zipperheads fight it out on the ground if they want. :)
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 08:01:41 PM »
no

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 08:04:48 PM »
LOL!

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 08:46:07 PM »
I just mean that your opinion is addressed to the arena as a whole.  I am talking about bob.

In bob, there is a little bit of water separating the 'enemies'.  And for that matter,  GVs had nothing to do with the real bob, so they could go for all I care.

If we are pretending the russians are attacking the brazilians cause jerry lewis moved to peru, then yeah, base capture and put in tiger tanks.

Just as guys that wet themselves over the la7 would feel left out by this scenario, the base capture people should be left out too.

Besides above all else base capture is what makes the MA the MA.  Which is the reason I dont fly in the MA.  Same for a lot of other guys.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2003, 12:29:17 AM »
agree with RTC on this one. Base captures in England must stop.

This is the axis bombers dream and thats ok. But the troop stuff gotta go. There should be no base captures in England.
Paris, France Italy etc sure, but not England, not in the CT.

When they gonna give us the Historic Arena?

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 03:41:05 AM »
Guys, I don't know where you get your history - but that is what the BOB was all about. Not just because the LW & RAF was having a "Brass Balls" competition!

The BOB was a battle for control of the airspace over the Channel and Southern England so OPERATION SEA LION, the invasion of England,  could take place.

Ergo... if you control the airspace above the Channel and Southern England in the CT you will prevent the hoards of Fallschirmjager in their JU-52's from getting a foot hold. If they do manage to get a foothold - get your finger out, work together and push them back into the sea!

(Gives V for VICTORY sign. :D  )
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 09:54:07 AM »
Operation Sea Lion... It's a good thing that the Germans didn't realize that all they had to do was get 10 troops into a London bar at the same time to capture the city.  :rolleyes:

Regardless of the appropriateness of base capture, it is considered bad form to log on in off hours and take bases unopposed.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2003, 10:04:59 AM »
It might be cool if there was a way to control the numbers required for a capture. We can adjust many of the factors and conditions via "Arena Settings" menu....so, why not let there be an option "requiredtroops" setting?

Something like 'Minimum 10, maximum 50'?

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2003, 10:29:16 AM »
The problem with sealion is that it never happened.  Hitler listened to that fat bellybutton and decided to try and decimate the RAF.  Then like a fool he decided to start bombing cities.

Sealion never happened because they thought they could pound england into submission with just airpower.  

Now, taking a few ju52s across the channel was not going to allow the germans to capture d!ck.   Hell 100 ju52s wouldnt let them do anything.  Therefore, that option should not be available here.  If ten guys in a ju52 could have taken london, then the war would have turned out quite a bit differently.

Now, last night after 12 was taken back, the fun began.  It was hard, as the english were not well organized in their defense, but the dogfights (even if they were rather one sided) were still plenty of fun.

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2003, 05:17:22 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC

Sealion never happened because they thought they could pound england into submission with just airpower.

All,

I remember seeing a documenty on the Battle of Brition several years ago.  It presented an interesting evaluation  of the entire battle.  
This is all from memory so bear with me.

Germany bombing of English aircraft plants and air fields during the early phase of Bob was having a serious effect on the Brit's ability to field sufficient aircraft to counter the entire German Air offensive.  The number of available Spits and Hurris was rapidly approaching a threshold level where soon England could not mount any air defense.

Then one of Hitler's bomber accidentally hit London during a night raid. The Brits retaliated by hitting Berlin.  To this, Hitler (in extremely bad judgement) ordered that all further bombing would be against London.  This gave the factories and airfields a breather from constant bombings and time to repair, re-build and hence put up ever increasing numbers of Hurris and Spits against the German Air assault.

One of the conclusions of this documentary was that if that He-111 had not accidentally bombed London, maybe the Brits would not have in turn bombed Berlin.  Hitler then may have ordered the continuation of airfield and aircraft plant bombings with the possible result that eventually the British would not have been able to mount any air defense.

The outcome of such a scenario was open to speculation.

The documentary went on to hint that Sealion was a failure because the German bombing of English cites gave British airfields and plants time to recover and eventually wear down the German air assaults.  

With control of the airspace over Briton, a German land/sea invasion was going to be froth with extreme difficulty. Without control of the air, any German land and sea invasion was going to be impossible.

The name of the documentary was "Battlefield." It aired on PBS in 1995.

I also vote NO BASE CAPTURE

Edited for spelling and minor editing
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 05:34:04 PM by delta »

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2003, 05:29:05 PM »
Yeah delta I saw that same program, and I think you have their conclusion right.  Several places I have heard that the germans pretty much had the raf to the wall when that bad but thankfully bad decision was made.