Author Topic: Does anybody know anything about home cinema set-ups?  (Read 666 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Does anybody know anything about home cinema set-ups?
« on: January 23, 2003, 05:18:07 AM »
I'm wanting to buy a full surround sound/DVD package. I've already decided on the TV I want - a Toshiba 32in 100 Mhz Widescreen, flat thing with composite video inputs and NTSC compatibility (so I can watch Kelly's Heroes on it, and a few other DVDs that aren't available over here).

Now I've started looking at the surround sound/DVD aspect. I could go for the all-in-one approach and buy a package. The SONY
DAVS880 is within my budget of £700 - I've tracked it down for £620 on the net. It is multiregion, has composite video out, apparently sounds good according to reviews, has Dolby Digital, DTS - it looks pretty good all round.

But if I'm going to spend that kind of money, would it be better to go for separates? This is where it gets quite tricky for someone who knows virtually nothing about this kind of thing. For a basic set-up, I need:

DVD player
Receiver
5.1 Speakers (subwoofer and 5 satelite speaks)

Is the receiver completely necessary? From what I understand, this takes the audio signal from the DVD player, amplifies it and then passes it to the speakers. Is that right? Because I've seen this DVD player here which has output ports for all the 5.1 speakers. Would I need a receiver for that?

If I bought separates, I could buy the DVD player, and then add the speakers at a later date. Upgrading would be less of a hassle too.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 05:38:53 AM »
Separate system is what you want, I really don't understand why some ppl are buying "All in One" packages. That's wrong way to save money IMHO.

You should go visit your local HiFi shop; they're usually willing to give good advices even if you don't buy your stuff from there. They're geeks too; all you have to do is start talking about impedances and subwoofers and they will fill your ears with (hopefully) good advices.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 05:47:16 AM »
btw my system is based on Jamo Prestige loudspeakers with Jamo Cinema center- and rear loudspeakers.
Those Prestiges, even if they are about 6-7 years old, are able to shake my sofa quite nicely (low 37Hz).

Check out Jamo's site: http://www.jamo.com/consumer/soundguide/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 06:52:31 AM »
make sure your receiver has both types of dolby digital inputs

coaxial and fiber

my bro in law did not and now has difficulty hooking up his digital cable box to his system
(they purchased a Sony package)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 09:24:58 AM »
700 pounds...  hmm, that's what, about $1100 US?

Anyways, the receiver comes in handy when you have more than one input coming to the monitor.  For me, I've got DirecTV, DVD, VCR, and a Playstation2.  The DirecTV and PS2 have digital sound, but not 6 separate channel outputs, so I need a receiver to decode the digital signal and send to the speakers.

If all you ever want is a DVD and a Surround Sound set, you could probably get away without the receiver, but your sound quality won't be as good as with a receiver.

I'm pleased with my Denon receiver and Polk speakers, though they would definitely push your price range.  The current Denon model would be AVR-2802.  The left and right speakers would be the RTi100's (mine were the older rt1000p model), the center is a c450 (now called the csi40), and the surrounds are rt75 (I think,) but they don't make these anymore, the FXi models are the closest (the difference is they made them a triangle shape instead of the square shape.)  No external sub, because the left and right speakers have built-in subs (they are floor standing speakers.)  Probably not what you're looking for, but I think they are excellent quality speakers for that price range.  Polk makes the satellite theater packages too which is probably what you're looking for.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=2  Not sure if they have a UK front, though if you want to check out denon, they do at http://www.denon.com.uk/startpage.htm
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 09:43:53 AM »
Dowding you won't do anything with the ntsc compatibility in your tv since the dvd-players make a conversion to pal when you play the movies, usually that is.

32" is really tiny for a home theater system. Have you looked into projectors? 100" beats 32" anytime :)

The AV amplifier is quite important part in your system, but not THE most important. It's enough that it has enough connections, can decode DD and DTS and has enough power (100W / channel minimum.)

The most important part (in audio) are the speakers. You should greatly invest in them. In a typical hometheater system the speakers should cost 3/4 of the audiosystem at least. The speakers are the only part that actually produce any sound so they are the most vital link of the whole chain.

You will make huge gains by getting high quality speakers even if it means sacrificing some in amplifier quality.

If you have the chance, go to a store to listen to Magnepan or Martin Logan speakers.. They come in reasonable price and have superior sound quality.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 10:13:27 AM »
Cool guys, thanks for the advice :).

You can spend until the cows come home on this sort of thing - I could get carried away.

The Denon stuff is very cool, but too expensive for me. Maybe when I get my next pay-rise. ;)

100" projector?! How big do you think my apartment is?! :D The 32" Widescreen Toshiba is going to set me back a grand as it is. I think it will suit my needs. But if I had the money I'd buy some massive plasma effort and wall mount the thing.

I hear what you are saying about the speakers. What I will probably do is  buy everything a bit at a time, it will allow me to extend my budget a little. I don't like buying things on credit - I always find you don't appreciate them as much.

So I'll get the DVD player first and then add the receiver and speakers after.

What do you reckon to these speakers:

Is Mission a good manufacturer?

£350 - but I don't have a sound system apart from a crappy portable stereo - so this would be an all in one for me.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 11:37:07 AM »
Those speakers, dunno about mission they look kinda crappy to me.  If you can you should look into a Klipsch speaker package.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 12:07:19 PM »
the reciever also works as your radio tuner, making a home stereo unnecessary.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 12:53:25 PM »
Mission has some decent models.. But the pricerange for 5.1 system is £3800 not 380 lol :)

For £380 you can get two decent, small loudspeakers (2-way 10-20 liters large hifi speakers. Bigger ones must cost more if you want quality.)

If you can't invest more than £380 at this time to speakers, buy two small hifi speakers and three real cheap ones for surround and center. That way you can atleast listen to music properly.

Then at a later time when you get more money you can upgrade the whole system by buying 3 more of those good small hifispeakers (makes a nice HT setup) and a decent subwoofer which alone should cost £400 minimum.

Those are the expenses you must expect to get a basic level HT.

Edit: Oh and the 100" I was talking about, it's not some crappy projection-tv type thing. I'm talking about a HT projector which will project the picture to a whitescreen (or a wall) just as a real cinemaprojector. It's cool as hell and you can get entry-level models for £1000 pricerange. I'm a software trainer and I have a personal lcd-projector for training purposes. Needless to say I'm taking advantage of that in my HT. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 12:57:18 PM by mrsid2 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 01:25:22 PM »
Would like to help out here Dowding,...but,..well...I kinda lean towards the high end on this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 01:39:07 PM »
lol After looking more and more into this it doesn't look like my £700 get me much, does it? :)

I guess it's a bottomless pit when it comes to audio equipment. The Martin Logan stuff was priced at 3000 quid!

I don't think I'm that serious a user to warrant much more expense than the Mission M7s speakers (5.1 speakers, £340).

Maybe I should sell my car and take in a lodger - then I could get a serious set-up built! :D

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2003, 01:46:14 PM »
As everybody said before me, go for a modular system. It has better sound, a lot more power, and more expansion possibilities.

For speakers I would recommend the Jamo E310 pack, it offers a very good quality for only 350€ (232 pounds?), wich is a very good price if your budget is limited. If you can spend more, go for Polk Audio or any similar brand, but believe me, it's very easy to end expending a lot more than what you planned...

As for the receptor, for 300 € (200 pounds) you can find decent quality products, i.e. the Sony DE485. As with the speakers, if you want something that gives you a better result, go for other brands, like Denon, Marantz, or Onkyo... The possibilities are endless :) .

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2003, 01:53:10 PM »
you get what you pay for. but I paid less than $300 for my sony system (reciever, 5 speakers + sub-bass).  the sound quality is excellent.  it doesn't have the power of some stereo's I owned when I was younger but it's more than loud enough for the house I'm living in now.  when using it as a stereo it's loud enough to listen from any room with it playing in the living room.

btw- when you get set up watch 'black hawk down'  so far it had the best suround sound of any.  you get the full effect (chopper rotors rumbling through the sub-bass, you hear the brass falling in one speaker, while you hear the bullets go over your head)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 02:04:32 PM »
Easy to spend a ton of money on this Dowding.  For me it was a no-brainer, as I am an audio/videophile.

I cannot see the average person going off the deep end like me.  It just is not needed.

Here is a partial list of my stuff

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amp
McIntosh MC-7502 Amp
McIntosh MC-7503 Amp
B&W THX Speaker system w/dual 15" subs
Sony 7505 DVD Player
Pioneer CLD-97 LD Player
Pioneer Elite 58" HD TV

Not recommended for the budget conscious.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com