Author Topic: Britain to become 51st State  (Read 1050 times)

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Britain to become 51st State
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2003, 05:07:57 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Vampires hate their reflections too, Dowding.

Er, do Vampires have reflections?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2003, 05:22:25 AM »
Strange, but judging from your anti-US posts here, I thought you were educated? (shrugs)

Just keep on shrugging, smart guy. I'm not and never have been anti-US. I criticise my own government as much as that of the US - so by your cast-iron logic, I must be anti-British. But If I'm anti-British, why do I even bother replying to the many patently anti-British posts we've seen in recent months.

Wow, quite a quandry you've got yourself there!
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2003, 10:18:23 AM »
"I like america, they produce cool stuff and easy living. I just dont appreciate this 'we pay for everything' attitude.Yeah yeah maybe you do support the world and many economies.But do you have to brag like school kids? Anyone who colonised the American continent would have ended up the richest Nation on the earth.If you begrudge helping the human race AS A WHOLE you dont deserve the money you have. Its no different to some millionair who wont spend his money to help a starving person in the gutter outside his fine mansion.

No... that isn't true... the british colonized America and they screwed it all up.  The Soviet Union had access to most of the worlds resources as does Africa.   It is a combination of politics and resources that make a nation great.   You guys had your chance and your politics screwed it all up.   And brag??   Sheesh.... The sun never sets on england ... LOL... you guys were so big headed that it was sickening.   Now that you are tiny.... you advocate humble?
lazs

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2003, 12:21:54 PM »
The difference is, Laz, Britain started as a small Protestant nation on a tiny island, surrounded by Catholic enemies on all sides just waiting to invade. She then went to build the largest Empire the world has ever seen, based to a large extent on self-survival.

That she has now returned to a world status becoming of her size is only natural. But for 300 years, things went well. Colonies were lost, colonies were gained. Eventually, the colonies wanted self-rule - you couldn't expect any different.

The sun has not set on England for a thousand years. She has not been invaded or subjugated for a millenia - with the conversion to Protestantism, the populace were very free compared to other nations at the time.

The US on the other hand near limitless natural resources, a rapidly expanding population and limitless lebensraum (after a few natives were dispatched). That's a completely different set-up compared to England and then the United Kingdom.

But I don't expect you to believe that. You're such a xenophobic anti-British charicature it would go against the grain.

You're good for a laugh though.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2003, 12:28:21 PM »
In our opinion, starwing is a personal freedom. As well as abandoning one's traditions and beliefs promoting marital faithfullness and screwing indiscriminately and contracting AIDS.

Let's just pass on the assertion that you're speaking for the entire American people. Your next comments appropriately sum up your lunacy even better. Starving is not a personal freedom. lol Tell that to the people who struggle and starve in African countries because of crop failure or civil war. As if those comments weren't stupid enough, you then find the gall to label all AIDS victims as having 'brought it on themselves'! Yeah, I'm sure the fact that so many kids in Africa are born with it has nothing to do with it.

But then we ought to be used to your lunatic assertions. I'm sure we all remember the 'Bali bombing victims were probably all sex tourists' comments.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2003, 12:29:51 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
The difference is, Laz, Britain started as a small Protestant nation on a tiny island, surrounded by Catholic enemies on all sides just waiting to invade. She then went to build the largest Empire the world has ever seen, based to a large extent on self-survival.-snip-

Hmmm... reminds me of Israel. -GDR-
sand

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2003, 12:36:26 PM »
The difference is Sandman, that the methods used back then were commonplace, but the Israelis still use them (and more) 300 years later when it would be quite unacceptable.

GDR?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2003, 10:33:37 AM »
geeze dowding... I merely pointed out that england had access to most of the worlds resources and all the important ones (for the times) and still managed to blow it.   I also would point out that england is and was as much or more full of itself thatn the U.S. ever has been.    I don't get it tho... Are yu argueing that politics have nothing to do with how well a country thrives?
lazs

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2003, 11:09:51 AM »
I work in a brewery..

Too bad it was closed some years ago and refurbished as an office building.. :mad:

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2003, 02:26:06 PM »
I merely pointed out that england had access to most of the worlds resources and all the important ones (for the times) and still managed to blow it.

You miss the point. They had to get to that position in the first place - all from a tiny country with enemies on all sides.

It then had to manage an Empire stretched over the entire globe, over oceans and huge land masses whose inhabitants had little in common with the British - different religions, customs and socieites. All that had to be held together.

Compare that with the US. All of the inhabitants were of European descent and culture, and many were of the same religion. It had an entire continent to expand into, and could do so pretty much without outside interference. Britain, on the other hand, had Spain and France to contend with only 30 miles from direct invasion. That was one reason why there was fair amount of apathy towards the loss of the American colonies - people were far more concerned with the French fleets roaming around the British Isles.

The British didn't 'blow it'. The Empire was killed on the battlefields of WW1. The couple of million that died were the best the Empire had to offer - there was so little man-power left to manage its affairs it couldn't be sustained. It grew in territory after WW1, but it was now too large. Quite rightly, the consituent colonies weren't too keen on being tied to a nation that might require of them such a large sacrifice again.

I maintain that if it were not for WW1, the empire might have lasted another 50 - 100 years, instead of being finally buried with the onset of WW2.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2003, 08:46:25 AM »
maintain whatever you like... would make a good (but unconvincing) alternative history book if done well.

but look at you... you are still bragging about conqureing and subjugating primitive cultures like it was your finest hour!  at least we don't brag about slaughtering the American indian.   WWI?  Yeah... you guys have a way of biting off more than you can chew..  wouldn't call that perceptive politics.

We have had some powerful enemies ourselves but we allways seem to come out ok.

I don't think your politics would allow you to thrive in any world past the 18th century.  
lazs

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2003, 09:15:43 AM »
Stating facts isn't bragging. Stating facts about conquering and subjugation isn't bragging about same. Building an Empire was a neccessity of survival - it was the fashion back then and everyone was doing it. Without expansion you were eaten up by your neighbours so quickly it would make your head spin.

We have had some powerful enemies ourselves but we allways seem to come out ok.

Ditto for the UK. Although we've been doing it for much longer - the US only became a world power in the years following WW1. It was pretty isolated up until WW1.

Yeah... you guys have a way of biting off more than you can chew.. wouldn't call that perceptive politics.

Kind of like Vietnam. I wouldn't call that 'perceptive politics' either. It would seem Governments are never infallible, whatever State they govern.

I don't think your politics would allow you to thrive in any world past the 18th century.

Well that's roadkill for a start, considering the recognised height of the Empire occured during Queen Victoria's reign during the late 19th century. But I know history isn't your strong point. British politics was in common with every major State in the world at that time - Britain wasn't doing anything particularly special. Times changed and so did the government. That's the way of the world.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2003, 10:01:59 AM »
Now Dowding, don' t you feel like you've set both feet in that bear trap they set up for you ? :)

This was turning into such a nice Beer thread, too bad it's spoiled.

(PS/ I might have edited my location a while ago, but you should still be able to figure out where those waffles come from...)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.