Author Topic: Alternative to retirement  (Read 234 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Alternative to retirement
« on: February 12, 2003, 12:46:03 PM »
If AHII:TOD will be modeling battle engagements complete with battle plans then perhaps there's another alternative to avatar retirement. Have general characters actually develop and implement large scale battle plans.

This will make the ongoing campaign more fluid as well as provide another positive motivator for success. Granted, it could take awhile before player-generals start calling the shots ... but it would be interesting.

But .... since we've been talking about "consequences in the game" ...

And since apparently the only real consequence for players is mandatory "time outs" for retraining ....

With greater authority comes greater responsibility.

If a rookie 2nd lt. is to be held accountable for wasting his own life too often, those in leadership roles should be held accountable for wasting the lives of their men.

More than just rookie butterbars should experience the consequences of failure. Players of all ranks and levels should as well.

Of course, the mandatory training for higher ranks will deal with their specific failings.

So if a section leader loses five wingmen (be it the same guy over and over or different ones) then he needs a time out to learn effective wingman tactics.

If a Group leader loses half his force or more in battle five times, he needs a time out to learn effective group tactics.

If a general loses half his army five times, then he needs a time out to go back to staff college.

Advancement and consequence ... there ya go. :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 04:57:35 PM by Arlo »

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 04:25:55 PM »
LOL... We go from worrying about being stuck in training forever to know wondering what will happen when your avatar needs to be retired after being promoted to General.

----

I'll take responsibility for poeple who fail under my command IF they actually are under my command. You can't hold a leader responsible if the subordinates say, "It's my $15.00, I'll play the way I want to."

----

In an on-line game, one of the first things to fall apart is the chain of command. Because no-one is actually part of an organized army, everyone has their own ideas as to what the best thing to do is.

The best battle plan in the world will fail if the players don't follow it. That has been proved many times in the Friday night TODs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 04:31:12 PM by Midnight »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 04:43:29 PM »
You sound like you want a game with no consequences. ;)

Besides ... if you do it 5 times then you really must be trying hard to pick the wrong people for the wrong job. That or your leadership skills (or tactical and strategic planning) must really su ... errr ... need a brush-up. :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 05:00:37 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 07:20:09 PM »
Another suggestion I'm surprised nobody has made yet.

If you have the rank to be able to create a mission, then you should also have the authority to select the members. No need for the "eject button" (well hopefully not) if players who volunteer for your mission must do so the same way they volunteer to gun for you. (For that matter - section leaders should be able to select their wingmen, group leaders their group members, etc.

"2 Lt. John Doe requests to fly in your mission, group,section. Yes? No?"

As you can see ... it could even be a multi-layer request. Col Von Zoolander says ... sure on the mission, Major Payne says sure on the group ... Capt. America doesn't want you to wing with him for some reason. Maybe Capt. Crunch will.

Don't know him and don't wanna risk it? Say no. Know him and wanna risk it? Say yes. That'll help ease some fears over my suggestion above ... perhaps. :D

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 10:16:04 PM »
Sounds like a headache. A mission would never get off the ground if you had to have a leader pick and choose from perspective pilots on the fly.

I suppose that is a workable system however. If HTC implements something like that in the game. I think Pyro already mentioned that players will not be making missions however, being able to staff a mission by rank and rating would be a nice idea.

I'm game for it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 01:43:55 AM »
Prolly so. I figure alot of the groundwork is already laid down. Eh ... either way. I'm there. :)